Squeaking snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anvil

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Odd question: I have an 18month old Murray Darling carpet python who over the last 8 months has developed a habit of squeaking. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Enclosure is always thermostat controlled (22-25C cold end -35c hot end) only has a small water bowl in a large enclosure to avoid humidity and he is still eating/growing like a champ. He is also very active and placid so I don't think that its an RI.

Also on a side note; I was told that this snake will grow to around 7.5 feet fully grown. He/she is 2 in march and is already 198cm. Given their growing period is this large for its age?

On the topic of size it depends on how much and often you feed your snake, that size does seem a bit large to me but different feeding regimes will produce different results. It is argued that until the snake is fully grown over feeding it will only promote rapid growth rather than obesity. How often and what do you feed it.

Sorry, can't offer any idea on the squeaking/(wheezing?) other than RI but I am by no means the most experienced keeper here, hopefully someone else can offer you some insight.

Yeah he only does it when being handled.

I'm feeding him adult mice every second week, for his size he is actual quite thin, (not skinny but not proportionately wide) it seems rather than put on weight he just grows longer.

WIth RI you will get discolouration inside the mouth, mucous build up in mouth and nose, and the snake will rub its nose a lot trying to rid itself of the mucous

my mate's centralian used to do it all the time. don't worry bout it. if it's weezing, that is a problem.

If it's is only "squeaking" when handled, and has no obvious mucous or signs of infection, then it is most likely a raised or loose scale in its nostril. Nothing to worry about, just sounds funny, but will fix itself when it sloughs.

squeeking?

loose nasal scales and RI have been the only thing ive encountered that have ever
produced an audible sound anything like a squeek from a snake

198cm is pretty long for a MD that age:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back