Starting to feed after brumation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My pythons are becoming more active from day to day. How do I determine the right time to offer them food again? They are 6-8 years old and haven't eaten anything since May. What sort of food do you recommend to start with? I have rats and guinea pigs of all ages (frozen and alive) as well as some frozen rabbits available. Yesterday, I offered my MD female a 4 weeks old (live) rat who had suffered an injury, and the snake happily took it. Is it advisable to start with such small meals after the winter rest - or rather give them a big meal straight away - and how much would you feed and how often?

I wait till they start cruseing the cage. I feed them a size down from what they usually eat then bump them up next feed. Some people feed them the size they were eating before they went off food. There is no right or wrong answer IMO, just get them feeding again.

Regards, Patrick

Offer them food as you would when they are normally feeding whether that be weekly or fortnightly and offer any size as in wild there first meal could be a mouse( my seven foot diamond sometimes only eats mice for a few meals) or it may be a possum they catch first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back