stimson python jaw dislocation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No she didn't hit the side if the cage and she ate a smaller rat then wat she usually does and we didnt notice cause wen she eats she hides in her box for a few days afterwards.

first of all not having a go but jeeessssuzzzz how could you not notice that ! that looks bad ! BAD ! did she/he strike the side of her enclosure or tub at all ???
When did they say they didn't notice it? The fact he/she made this thread kinda indicates the exact opposite.

Does anyone no if she could die from this?
If it stops her eating then yeah. If it goes back into place alright though she should be fine

When did they say they didn't notice it? The fact he/she made this thread kinda indicates the exact opposite.

HELP!!!! my stimson python ate last tuesday and i only noticed a few days ago that her jaw looks dislocated or something the bottom part of her jaw is to one side and i can see into her mouth and she is very jumpy wen i go near her nd she isnt looking to well i no they can put them back in themselves but this looks really bad.

ahhh in the first post Saximus ...

Haha ah touché :p.
Although if it was fed on Tuesday and the post was made on Friday it would tell me that it was noticed only a day or so after...

Ok just to clear up wen i noticed it, we fed her on tuesday nite and i noticed on thursday morning my partner who owns the snakes is away at the moment so i wasnt sure wat to do i have seen one of our baby snakes have a dislocated jaw but it fixed itself over nite so wen i saw this one hadnt fixed itself i thought i would ask on here sorry for any misunderstandings.

she is a really good eater and usually doesnt have any probs and i did check on her thats how i noticed cause she was still in her hide box.

Hasnt by any chance gotten the skin from its lips snagged on its teeth?? ive seen this happen quite a lot.

Where abouts are you located & did you ring a reptile vet?

I live in qld. And yeah rang the vet on saturday morning but none of the reptile vets were working so i have to ring and make an appt this week sometime i think cause i dont think she will fix it herself.

I don't think she will fix it herself unfortunately, good luck with the vet & keep us posted on how everything turns out. Fingers crossed you don't end up with a huge vet bill;)
Just in case your not aware there's a section for all the reptile vet's in Wiki on this site, you might be able to get in to see one of them quicker than the vet you spoke to, sooner the better going by the look of her.

yeah i dont think she can fix it her self and yeah hopefully the bill wont b to huge and cool i will have a look in wiki thanks.

That is not going to fix itself. I had the same problem twice with my favourite stimmie, but she couldn't be fixed a second time. These both occured when eating and she put the prey item on the ground and was "above" it pushing down on it, if that makes sense. So the prey is facing downwards and the snake is putting pressure on it the jaw gets pushed across and the teeth trap it under the skin. Hers was a bit further across though.

They will have to sedate it and then cut it open, move the skin off the teeth and stitch it back up. I think it only cost about $300 including the after hours vet bill.

Eeek, that's horrible to hear :(
I'd love to know what happened, though.

Is there any way to help avoid this problem?.. I'm guessing no..

Edit: is there any advantage in feeding multiple smaller prey items instead of one larger item?

Last edited:
Yeah im not sure if it would be easier to feed her two small rats but it would probly make sense.

No the problem hasnt been fixed yet my partner is home on thursday so we will book an appointment with the vet. Angel (stimson) decided to pull a big rock on top of her today she is ok thank god everything seems to happen to the animals wen my partner is away lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back