Stimson's Python: 3 Month's In...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockanfo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I acquired my stimson's python in Nov '10 from a reputable dealer here in WA. (Thanks Gary).
Female, lighter brown colours (would drop a picture on here but don't have any on my work comp), beautiful colours, suspect shes what everyone affectionately calls a "wheatbelt" stimsons.
Called her Sithina. (Yes I'm a star wars nut).

Anyway, just thought I'd drop a few notes her for anyone else that is around a similar time frame in ownership as me, or for those that have just acquired or are thinking, and are not quite sure of how things are going with their stimmys.

So here I go.

When she arrived, I never asked what her age was, but I suspect she was just under a year old. Roughly 500mm long.
When she arrived she was very timid, was rather fidgity when it came to handling in the first day. So I decided to leave her in her enclosure for a week and then try again.
Success, one week later, she was much more comfortable with handling, but during that week, I was regularly each afternoon, peering into the enclosure and lifting the lid on her hide to make eye to eye contact. I talked to her briefly... yes... I'm not crazy... she responds to my voice.... and she eventually got used to me checking in on her.

Took a week before she would take food from me.
Started her out on pinkies (for those that don't know, pinkies are baby mice, almost newborn, no fur grown).
She was taking 1 a week. After the first month, I tryed moving to small fuzzies (baby mice but with fur).
Started on 1 a week, but tryed 2 after the second week into the month. She took them greedily.
So began feeding her 2 fuzzies a week. Took them always without batting an eyelid.
EDIT: Oh yeah... and she WAS fussy with the temperature and condition of the food.
I tryed defrosting the morning before the feed and presenting the mouse at room temp. Nup, she wouldn't even look at it.
Tryed another 2 warmed up in luke warm water. Still no go.
Success was found when I took a frozen mouse, put it into freshly boiled kettle water. Let it soak until it became squishy and when pricked with a pin, blood would flow. Took out of water, let it sit for 30seconds to cool down from hot for a little bit. And WOW! She LOVED those. Absolutely knocked them back. Like me, she likes a Home Hot Cooked Meal.

After the second month I decided to try her on 1 weiner mouse a week (mainly because the pet store didn't have any small mice in stock) (FYI-FTTDK weiners are adolescent sized mice, not full grown, but not babys either). She was very active afternoon and evening by this stage. Mind you it was stinking hot out here.
And recently, I've moved her to 1 weiner every two weeks. Throwing in a weekly feed every now and then.

I suspect shes nearing a year old now. roughly 600mm long
Thinking about picking a birthday for her in march.
She's got a lovely temperament now. LOVES meeting new people. Shes met my harrier (dog, large beagle). And loves curling up on my arm and watches TV on the couch with us. No kiddin, she WATCHS TV. Quite amazing.

Enclosure wise. It's a pretty long one. Full length enclosure. Only heat source is a heat cord underneath the bottom layer and I've extended it to underneath the top layer as well.
Was toying with the idea of a heat lamp. But not sure she needs it.

Got a rock based waterbowl down near the cool side air vent, such that intake air gets hydrated and keeps the humidity level in check as apparently snakes get their water from the air. (not sure how true that is).

Bought her an aquarium ceramic replica log that fits perfectly in her enclosure, for xmas. She loves it. So the top side of the enclosure has the log and a heap of toilet roll, gladwrap rolls for her to climp on, hide in etc.

I've put a bright red peanut butter jar lid in the enclosure too. I've designated that her feeding spot when I feed her in the enclosure. But I mix it up often. Got a "click clack" that I feed her in too when I clean her cage out.

I've been keeping the enclosure light on during the nights too now. She seems more active at night when that is on. Strange. Dunno why.

I hope this tale has helped someone with any bits of information on whether their stimson is doing alright or not.
I've done alot of reading on here and there are ALOT of opinions. Fact of the matter it appears that herp keeping is NOT an exact science.
You grow and adjust your keeping practices by monitoring, watching, learning and listening to your herps.
I'm told that each herp is unique with their own personality. And I agree.
So if you do what you feel is right (so long as you're not some psychopath) I'm sure that you and your herp will have a long and happy relationship.

Cheers,

ANFO.

Last edited:
Buggyboy

i am Buggyboy hello i am getting a juvinile stimson's python

i am 9 i am getting it in 4 months when i turn 10 in August the 4th

just wondering why do you glad wrap the toilet rolls?

Good to hear :) i got a tiny thread of a childreni thats powering along on velvet mice at the moment :) and a big bredli thats on medium rats, a yearling bredli thats on sub adults and a spotted thats on sub adults :) but the childrens is fussy and wont take it without a huge hole in its head. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back