Stimsons python won't eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

Reaction score
I've had my stimsons python for over 2 years now and he has generally been a good eater, especially in the warmer months.
Well summers almost over now and he hasn't eaten in almost 3 months. He has been actively roaming the tank the last 3 months but now is acting more lethargic and groggy. At first I thought he wasn't eating because he was shedding, but he shed and still wouldn't eat. Then I thought it was because he was too cold as his heat mat wasn't working properly, but I got a replacement and he still won't eat. I was worried that the thermometer was wrong do i felt the floor of the tank and it feels slightly warm so I think it's working, the therm says its 32. I don't know wats wrong with him or wat else to do, any help would be greatly appreciated

Has anything changed besides his heat mat in the last few months?
Have you tried brining his food? Or offering a different type. My male stimmi is on a quail kick at the moment and my female only eats white food (sounds dumb but its true) so if you have swapped food type or suppplier that may be having an effect

Sounds like a typical male at this time of yr... Have had him from a hatchie cause if his age is 2 then he be looking for a girl in month of 2.... But more info required like hot / cold end temps ... Temp where u live....is the thermometer accurate? Not meaning thermostat!...????

Hi, I cant really help, but I can sympathise. My own adult Woma has stopped eating here in Brisbane too. He was very active and looked hungry, had typical feeding arousal (fkicking tail, bobbing head) but simply refuses everything.
He went quiet then went into shed, had a small poo then got all active again the last week or so.
Still won't eat but seems happy enough in handling etc.
My temps are 31 during day to 27 at night with underfloor heat cord plus Brisbane summer weather.
I've tried going from rats to quail but no good.
It's been 7 weeks now and I'm worried.
Also my Bredli is getting fat on his leftovers! LOL
Good luck, hope you work it out.

Hey, already replied to Gavatrons thread with an idea, but will here too.

This time last year our woma had similar symptoms, ended up being in infection in the top of her mouth, took about 2-3 months to treat and then had to wait for the cooler months to end before she'd finally take food again.

We tried her on smaller foods during that time like chicken hearts and the drumstick shaped bit of a wing but she wouldn't try to eat while she had the infection, only suss the prey out and then leave it and then not for 2 months or so more after being healed because of the cold.

Got told ours was a little overfed, so she could afford to lose some weight, only lost about 100 grams in that 5 months of not eating but still worried the crap out of us anyway while treating her for it and afterwoods until she finally ate again.

If it is worrying you as much as it did us, find out what reptile vets you have in the area and take the bud to one like we did, could be nothing, could be something like ours ended up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back