Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hold up im sorry ,weed is legal where ????

Teasers :p
Weeds not legal anywhere but have you seen the new synthetic Kronic available at certain stores, it blows ya head off just like the real thing... um, so I hear.

I've heard nothing but bad feedback about the synthetic. Paranoia/anxiety/agression, nodding off like smack heads, and very short lived. All that for only $400/oz. I'll pass.

thats the gayest law ever,i enquired about Canberra licencing when i applied for a job there and they have the worst herp licencing in the country.
You have to own a lizard for 2 years before you can even have a childrens python

but bearded dragon and python husbandry are so similar...

my stimmie wont sit on its hot rock or eat its pellets, what should I do?

I've lived in canberra for close to 10 yrs and the licensing system is that much of a crock, that im moving to Yass so can aquire the animals I want!!

From what I understand, the licensing regulations in the ACT have not been revised in many years and so are quite outdated from the perspective of those wanting to keep herps. However, because there is quite a strong/vocal section of the community that oppose the keeping of reptiles for a 'hobby' in the name of 'conservation', the herp community here is somewhat reluctant to initiate formal discussions with the government agency responsible about having the situation reviewed. I believe the fear is that if the debate is opened up, that they run the risk of the laws become more restrictive or to even have the keeping of reptiles banned altogether. If that is indeed the case, then I'll take the regulations we have now every time! Something is better than nothing...

@Vinny86 - It is so ironic that you can live 20km down the road in queanbeyan for example and be under the completely different legislation that governs NSW. I originally wanted to keep Geckos. Following the letter of the law, I would have to wait 3 years to do so in the ACT. A 10 min drive away, I could have them in the time it takes for the license approval process.... Good thing I like living in the ACT for other reasons.

It is so ironic that you can live 20km down the road in queanbeyan for example and be under the completely different legislation that governs NSW. I originally wanted to keep Geckos. Following the letter of the law, I would have to wait 3 years to do so in the ACT. A 10 min drive away, I could have them in the time it takes for the license approval process.... Good thing I like living in the ACT for other reasons.

Whats your other reasons? Haha

You have hit the nail on the head though about the governing body! The laws here do need to be reviewed on how the hobby is progressing and thats people are now keeping herps as 'pets' now and not for the total conservation of that particular species!

I have never considered even thinking about getting an ACT licence for this very reason, that you can just live down the road and have a NSW one with out the 'conservationists' restrcted view!!

lol...It is actually a pretty good place to live despite what the general perception is. I know a guy who came through on his way to Melbourne (ie the road to Melbourne went through Canberra based on how he was going) and ended up staying for 13 years! I grew up in Sydney and only came to study. Won't be moving any time soon even though the herp keeping laws are archaic....

Thought that I would just inform those interested that the ACT Herp association will be having someone from ACT licensing give a talk on the ins and outs of keeping reptiles in the ACT at its August 2011 meeting. I'll try to remember to post a reminder of this closer to the time. Otherwise checking out the ACTHA web site may reveal some info for you.

On some of the other points raised above, to my knowledge the only snake catchers in the ACT are gov. rangers and park staff. That is not including federal and or private establishments that are licensed to catch on their property.

All the animals on display at ACTHA's snakes alive display are from private members, including the owner of the elapids. It is the ACTHA that obtains the license to display, not the individual owners of the animals. Yes, it’s true that you will get a big fat no if you apply for a ven in the ACT. I think that the owner of the elapids at snakes alive has had a license to keep them for so long, that it predated licensing! At least I think that is the case anyway. I guess if you want to know more about the licensing side of things then take your opportunity to get the full rundown at the August ACTHA meeting.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back