Substrate for Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you guys have access to Cypress Mulch? holds moisture GREAT and doesn't decompose or mold/mildew. really good for reptiles that need high humidity environments

At my Big W we have pine bark mulch. I was going to try that but wasn't sure about the whole pine resin issue

At my Big W we have pine bark mulch. I was going to try that but wasn't sure about the whole pine resin issue
Pine Bark would have too much oil in the bark and would probably mold/mildew in the high humidity. we have pine here and it's NOT recommended for reptile bedding use.

coco fiber and cypress mulch are the 2 best substrates for reptiles in need of high humidity substrate with cypress being the better of the 2.

i'm on the West Coast in the US and all the cypress mulch production over here is on the East Coast (3K miles away) so even i have a difficult time getting it. can order around $8,000usd for a truckload to get it for $6.00usd a bag delivered (2 CU FT) or buy it from someone who trucks it in for anywhere from $10.00 per bag (80 minimum) to $21.00 per bag (individual). i generally stock up with 80 bags at a time and sell some off to friends and such

I use sand, it's the best I've tried.
News paper will make your monitors toes and tail tip fall off.

Do you use normal beach sand or something else? I have a lacy on breeders choice but have been informed to change it. I am not sure what to change to.

Kathy, go to Bunnings and buy 2-3 blocks of coco-peat. Follow the instructions and you'll have a nice moist substrate that creates some humidity in the enclosure.

I've mixed mine with sand and it has made a fairly nice consistency. I would also suggest you don't put as much water as the packet says. The ones I got said to put 4.5L per block and when I tried that first it made a very wet mush. I only did 2.5-3 in my next set and it seems much better

Thank you Nick and Saximus. I have two books on monitors, too, I forgot I had and did some reading up. I think I can fix his floor up to get him nice and happy.

I read in my book that sick or injured ones require the humidity to prevent dehydration because they won't go to water to drink. I haven't seen him move in the last three days apart from shifting position so am probably confident he hasn't been drinking. Should I dribble some water into his mouth or just start pumping the humidity? I don't want him going downhill because of something I've done wrong? Also, his enclosure is inside my shed. He gets plenty of natural light but no direct sun. Will that matter for now? I don't want to handle him un-necessarily but if I need to move him out for some sun I have a portable dog kennel that I use for giving my snakes sun.

if he isn't drinking then you can use a mister and mist him and he should lap that up or take the water dropper to help hydrate him.

also getting direct sunlight is GREAT but if ot available get some good strong UV lighting

I wouldn't put it in direct sun until you know it is active and well enough to get out of the sun before cooking itself. Indoors you can control its environment better until it is healthy. There is no cypress mulch here but I've used tea tree mulch in the past and it is excellent. Wood shavings from Pet Barn will even work as long as you spray it down with water a bit to keep the dust down.

Is there any waay one can save this thread to" Favs ". I will need it soon, and would like to keep it as a good reference.. ?

Just add it to your browser bookmarks

Or copy the hyperlink and email it to yourself. That's how I keep track of stuff that I plan to use in the near future

Is there any waay one can save this thread to" Favs ". I will need it soon, and would like to keep it as a good reference.. ?
Add this thread to your subscriptions.
Up the top there are three drop down menus on the right just above the 1st post. The left most one is "Thread Tools". Under this menu select "Subscribe to this thread...". It will then appear in your subscribed threads list, which works like the normal forum and shows threads with new posts up the top in bold. You can also add it so that you get e-mail notifications, but I find through the forum plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back