Substrate opinions (C if ya change me mind)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
always used Breeder Choice and found if fantastic as great for spot cleaning...Now i just built new enclosure and the mrs said...(Do away with that grey #### and put sumat in more natural) lol...sooooooooo i put in Ozpet (the brown wood pellets)....now unless i put water bowls on floor rather than on substrate they just roll around and if the slightest bit of dampness gets on it it expands/dries and turns to dust.....whats yur opinions guys as to which in your opinion is best out the 2?? (and no im not using news paper) lol
Ta
PeteView attachment 269654
PS, its like the snake must be rolling on marbles (like the water dish):rolleyes:

I also use Coco-Peat for my snakes its cheap as chips ( 2bucks for a brick at bunnings ) and 1 bring covers a massive area id say 2bricks would cover your cage with a pretty decent thinkness

I also use Coco-Peat for my snakes its cheap as chips ( 2bucks for a brick at bunnings ) and 1 bring covers a massive area id say 2bricks would cover your cage with a pretty decent thinkness
Whats the +'s v the -'s?

I too wanna change my substrate, i like the repti bark buts its way too expensive,
+1 ozmid, whats the pro's and cons with coco-peat?

Pros: it holds humidity quite well. It reduces smell quite well.
Cons: it's pretty dusty so for the more paranoid keepers there's maybe a slight chance of respiratory issues and lots of it gets stuck to wet prey items

I use Kritters Krumble, personally I found cocopeat way too messy & it's dusty as hell. Yes it's cheap but KK is only $25.00/bag & that covers a 4' enclosure very well.

kritters krumble..not seen this as yet ...tho prob not looked for it...who suppies this? pet shops etc?...i might have to tell the Mrs that GREY is the IN COLOUR...lol

Actually Kritters crumble is like a light brownish colour, at least it looks it, so more natural looking then grey. :)

View attachment 269660

- - - Updated - - -

"The reptile shop" in Narellan NSW stocks it and its only $13.50 for a 2kg bag.

Can someone please tell me how i just subscribed to this thread when i never subscribed to it? :/

Last edited:
I use cork granules which is a subtropic terrarium substrate. Its perfect for spot cleans and looks amazing aswell. Easy to to full enclosure cleans also as it dosnt leave any dust or dirt behind.
Basically its just chopped up bits of cork sold in a bag with a reptile logo on it but ive found it to be amazing. Easily digestable in the worst case scenario and great at holding humidity.

your friends on tuggerah strait stock it ;)

Actually Kritters crumble is like a light brownish colour, at least it looks it, so more natural looking then grey. :)

View attachment 269660

- - - Updated - - -

"The reptile shop" in Narellan NSW stocks it and its only $13.50 for a 2kg bag.

Can someone please tell me how i just subscribed to this thread when i never subscribed to it? :/
13.50 for 2kg?...im just popping out to get a lotto ticket :shock:...c if i can get a bulk price:D

- - - Updated - - -

I use cork granules which is a subtropic terrarium substrate. Its perfect for spot cleans and looks amazing aswell. Easy to to full enclosure cleans also as it dosnt leave any dust or dirt behind.
Basically its just chopped up bits of cork sold in a bag with a reptile logo on it but ive found it to be amazing. Easily digestable in the worst case scenario and great at holding humidity.

your friends on tuggerah strait stock it ;)
ive been waiting over 2 weeks for glass tracks from the friends on that straight :cry:

Last edited:
kritters krumble..not seen this as yet ...tho prob not looked for it...who suppies this? pet shops etc?...

There are many suppliers of it, I imagine some sponsors of APS do too. It's a light brown colour, it comes packed tightly in the bag & is quite moist at first, it dries out over a day or so. I often re-moisten it at times.

I have used Oz Pet and kritters Krumble but stopped using both as Oz pet was too dry abd kritters Krumble was too wet. I am now using aspen for my snakes and it's the best substrate I have used so far. Pm me if you want details of where to get it from.

13.50 for 2kg?...im just popping out to get a lotto ticket :shock:...c if i can get a bulk price:D

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, i know thats a little pricey for 2kg, which is why i dont buy from there, ive yet to find somewhere else tho. Im gonna take a look at some sponsers sites. For me its between Aspen bedding and Kritters crumble. :)

Last edited:
If you go to the kritters crumble australian website you can enter your postcode into the store tab, and it tells you where the closest shops are that stock it.

Cool, just did that search and apparently theres a petshop in my town that stock it, hopefully their price is worth it. :)

I tried wood shavings - kiln-dried, dust extracted, and found them okay, but far too dry for the snakies. They all had shedding issues, even the Stimsons. I was hoping to be able to use pine shavings for all the critters, but alas, an easy solution was not to be. It's great for the rats, even though they kick it everywhere, useless for the ferrets, and too dry for the snakes. I've tried newpaper, does the job but looks awful. Now I'm using coco-peat. Works a treat:D but I did have issues drying large quantities, I don't have anywhere I can leave it to dry in the sun without the dogs making a mess of it, so now I just expand it with as little hot water as I can, then squeeze it out by the handful as I put it in the enclosure. It's usually fully dry within a couple of days.

I can highly recommend kritters krumble, has a nice natural look, very easy to spot clean, and holds humidity if needed, but can also dry out nice for the desert types. I initially had breeders choice for my snakes which is ok - easy to clean off faeces but I found the urea part was harder to clean up, plus looks a bit bland. Have used KK for beardies and for my lacie. I found that for my beardie that the humidity was initially a slight issue (new setup - 6ft x 2 x 2 with 2.5 KK bags) until the KK dried out a bit - then its all good, where as my lacie loves it - I leave it nice and deep so he can burrow in as needed.
Am in the process of swopping my snakes over to KK as well - mainly for the look. Hope that helps.

NEVER had any probs with Breeders Choice apart from the MRS!!!! and with a growing collection i gotta keep her sweet (she said no more) but i luckly got the YES for me Albino Darwin 1st....now the kids want a Beardy(how can i say no)....the kids tried to feed her beer last night but it was a NO...ill have to work on that 1...lol SO IT LOOKS LIKE IM GUNA HAVE TO GO BACK TO GREY....or ill try the others on me stimis

Look up the Purachips website.Its a new aspen bedding you can get now in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back