Suspected RI?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellannn

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that my 4 year old coastal was holding her mouth in a strange position yesterday.
She was keeping her mouth slightly open for a couple of minutes each time.
On closer inspection I noticed she has more saliva in her mouth than usual.
She is due to shed any day now and has been eating normally.
Behaviour has not changed (other then holding the mouth open)
There hasn't been any unusual sounds whilst she breathes either.

I am going to take her to the vet on Tuesday. (The day I get paid. Fortnightly pay sucks!)

But is there anything that I can do over the next couple of days that will make any kind of positive difference?

If anyone could be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Have you checked in her mouth for any foreign material or anything else unusual? I have not had any experience with RI's personally so hesitant to advise. Best of luck with her though

My jungle recently had RI. From research and vet advice I found a couple of things that help without requiring any extra purchases, etc. to supplement the antibiotics. Doing the following until you can make it to the vet might not help but can't hurt to try anyway :)

Use paper towel/newspaper as substrate
Disinfect enclosure really well
Bump up hot end temp to 35 degrees
Monitor humidity within enclosure and remove water bowl for periods of time if necessary (50% or below is good)
Try to leave her alone as much as possible to not stress her out.

Other signs of RI that mine presented were not tongue flicking and laboured breathing e.g. I could very obviously see her body expanding and contracting irregularly.

Best of luck and my fingers are crossed that it's not RI or at worst a very mild case. It's not fun at all :(

The symptoms of RI are pretty much as Lawra says, with the added suggestions - one of the first signs is lack of appetite and reduced tongue-flicking, often with an unusual (uncomfortable looking) coiling position. If your snake is still eating and tongue-flicking normally, I doubt RI is present. I'd wait until it sheds - this process often throws up some unusual "symptoms" which will resolve immediately the old skin is cast off.

Jamie

If it's early stages, put her in a plastic tub of suitable size on paper towel, bump up the heat to 35C and spray the container with a 30% dilution of f-10. You want the container to act like a vapouriser for best results for a cheap fix. Works really well for elapids, so I can't see why it wouldn't for pythons?

If it's early stages, put her in a plastic tub of suitable size on paper towel, bump up the heat to 35C and spray the container with a 30% dilution of f-10. You want the container to act like a vapouriser for best results for a cheap fix. Works really well for elapids, so I can't see why it wouldn't for pythons?

This! Except I would use a fogger but do it the same way and same amounts. Hook a tube up from the fogger, to the plastic tub. Leave her in for 20 min with it on, and 20 min with it off.

This! Except I would use a fogger but do it the same way and same amounts. Hook a tube up from the fogger, to the plastic tub. Leave her in for 20 min with it on, and 20 min with it off.

I hear ya Beans, but why buy a fogger when it works just as well without one?

Just to make sure that they are getting all of the vapor. Then you don't have to wait for it evaporate. But if it works just as well the other way then do that!

Just to make sure that they are getting all of the vapor. Then you don't have to wait for it evaporate. But if it works just as well the other way then do that!

Ahh, got ya:)! What I like about the fogger is that you only need 40 minutes (I'm guessing?) Or do you need to repeat that again Beans? With the el-cheapo plastic tub and F-10 puddle on heat, I have left animals for 24-48 hours.

just saw this thread, I had my 3 1/2 month old jungle out today, and noticed she made a clicking sound a few times, took her to the vet this afternoon, now have a course of antibiotics, I just hope she didn't catch something from another hatchling which I recently got rid of... I'm absolutely paranoid about OPMV and IBD.

Just to clarify what [MENTION=37955]Lawra[/MENTION] said, you actually want to raise the humidity not lower it. You also do not need to add anything to the water when 'vapourising'. The steam is the thing that helps not the f10 or Vicks or other things people chose to add.

Thanks for all your help guys!
I'm going to take her to the vet this afternoon after work.

My mum said I can loan some money off her. (Thank god)

Her condition has worsened overnight.
She is really weak and lethargic, even though I have bumped up her heat a little.

Still flicking her tongue, possibly a little more than usual.

I actually noticed last night that she has some lumps under the skin just before her vent.
They have only just appeared.
They would be about a 5cent piece size and there is 3 of them.

Hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

I am actually quite worried.

:(

Hmmm, that puts things in a different light - the vet for sure...

Jamie

Can I ask what RI is, I couldn't find it in the glossary sticky post on the forum.

Thanks

Marty

just saw this thread, I had my 3 1/2 month old jungle out today, and noticed she made a clicking sound a few times, took her to the vet this afternoon, now have a course of antibiotics, I just hope she didn't catch something from another hatchling which I recently got rid of... I'm absolutely paranoid about OPMV and IBD.

So did the snake actually have anything wrong with it or did they just sell you antibiotics...?

Ah right, just curious as I've had many snakes make 'clicks' which never turned out to be anything, all have grown from hatchies into adults.

Most new keepers are oversensitive to the prospect of RI - in 99% of cases clicking when breathing is related to pre-slough conditions and nothing to worry about. Clicking is the "symptom" I'd be least concerned about in one of my reptiles, there are other far more definitive symptoms of RI. Vets love newbies and their snakes :)!

Jamie

Most new keepers are oversensitive to the prospect of RI - in 99% of cases clicking when breathing is related to pre-slough conditions and nothing to worry about. Clicking is the "symptom" I'd be least concerned about in one of my reptiles, there are other far more definitive symptoms of RI. Vets love newbies and their snakes :)!

Jamie

mate, considering she shed 11 days ago, she has only just started making the sounds, I rather honestly take the advice from a vet whom was recommended on these very forums, when it comes to the health of my animals, yes there are more definitive symptoms, but by then the RI maybe in its later stages?, everyone on the internet is an expert. I made the choice to go as I had issues with a previous animal I recently got rid of, and wanted to be more safe than sorry, why take the risk? yes I am new and being 'oversensitive' but I don't need you implying I've been had, big deal $20 for antibiotics is not going to break the bank neither is the consult fee. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back