swearing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
After reading about the lovely lady Dynea had over for a BBQ
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of people who swear or
mainly about women swearing? I'm the first to admit i have a
pretty foul mouth on me and it is seriously a very bad habit, instead of
um i say f#@&n, i don't even realise i do it most of the time.
I have been told before by a few blokes that women shouldn't swear
and that is something i can't stand being told mainly because
the blokes that have said something are people i wasn't even
talking to and they promptly got told "i don't give a _____ go talk
to someone else if you don't like it" So give us your reasons
why you think women should or shouldn't swear.

After reading about the lovely lady Dynea had over for a BBQ
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of people who swear or
mainly about women swearing? I'm the first to admit i have a
pretty foul mouth on me and it is seriously a very bad habit, instead of
um i say f#@&n, i don't even realise i do it most of the time.
I have been told before by a few blokes that women shouldn't swear
and that is something i can't stand being told mainly because
the blokes that have said something are people i wasn't even
talking to and they promptly got told "i don't give a _____ go talk
to someone else if you don't like it" So give us your reasons
why you think women should or shouldn't swear.
You sound like a typical collingwood supporter :lol:

It all depends on the time, place and context. Woman who swear in normal conversation always make me think....didn't I see you on Springer last week?

I believe in equallity... I hate the reverse of this.. when women EXPECT a man to open the car door, or the front door... It's all about balance and equallity not greasly little men with small.... Well.. i guess that's my opinion... Just cause I don't open their car door, doesn't mean im not a nice guy :p

So you can swear if you want...

Snap :p

I think time and a place also.
But it just shows a limited vocabulary in normal conversation IMHO.

i swear, a lot, but i also work in childcare and know not to there, or in front of other kids, etc, etc. it does come down to time and place. must admit that certain words i do find offensive.

Re: RE: swearing

Greebo said:
It all depends on the time, place and context./quote]

Agreed. most of my swearing is as a Pro noun, or an Ad verb context.

Although I prefer ocker terms like Bonza Mate, Litte ripper.

We can all get on our soap boxes and scream about equality and political correctness, but the reality is that the sexes are different. Sure, our culture says that men and women have equal rights and does its best to make that a reality, but like it or not, men and women are going to be judged differently if they display vulgar behaviour, such as swearing. The reason women are judged more harshly is because they generally take more pride in themselves in regard to anything which pertains to people judging them. Men generally care much less about being thought of as slobs, while women prefer to hold themselves with dignity. Because of this, we are accustomed to men being vulgar and women being dainty, so when someone doesn't fit the mould, they stand out. Swearing is vulgar whether you're male or female (I'm not trying to claim high moral ground, I know some of you have heard a word or two slip through my lips which I'd rather hadn't been produced) but the fact that women are generally less vulgar makes the whole gender come under a different type of scrutiny. I suppose in a nutshell, you could say that women are judged with greater scrutiny in this matter because most of them are better than most men in this way.

There are other reasons for women swearing less, these pertain to the reasons people choose to swear (whether the decision is concious or subconcious) but to get into them would require a much longer post than almost anyone would bother reading :p

Some people don't care about swearing, it's a cultural thing and arguably, swearing isn't bad. I'm not trying to have a go at anyone who swears, I don't get offended by it, if you're still offended, imagine I added a disclaimer which applies to you too.

Flame away :)

I never use to swear a great deal until i became a mechanic, the people that you work with have a big influence on how you talk, i didnt even realise i was swearing that much until i watched a home video, I was and still am disgusted in myself for swearing so much :oops: , i want the tape disrtoyed its that bad, i dont swear like that anymore but i do a swear a bit

Hehe, I worked in a factory as a welder for about a year, as you'd expect I was surrounded by people swearing every day. I knew I was at risk of it wearing off on me, so I made a concious effort not to swear. After I left that job I started uni and I think it was almost a year later before I said a swear word. When I did (during lunch at uni), all of the people I was with were shocked and stared at me for a while in stunned silence :lol:

snakes4me2 said:
Not trying to change the topic, just adding another to the list. Farting...men or women...whats ya thought?

It's the same as swearing.

I used to be a real swearbear until I got with my girlfriend about 4 years ago. She hates swearing (although she lets the odd ripper word out now and then when she's cranky) so I toned it down alot and now i usually only let it out when I get p'd off.

As for farting, I used to find women farting offensive. One night we had a heap of work mates around for dinner n stuff, so half way through the night this chick lets out a ripper and says "farting comp, I'm infront!" LOL So most of us joined in and since then I don't really care if the odd pop happens from a female! lol mind you, there is a time and place for these things!

Shane

I dont swear, and if i do its rare. I think its habit, and very unattractive of both genders to swear. You have to listen to a guy swear like you do yourself, and you will probaly notice. Then every1 is diff.

I very rarely swear and when I do, people who know me know just how cranky I am.
If you swear in every day language, how do you express that you are really ticked off?
I'm not offended by it, but I'd rather people didn't do it. Those who say swearing has no meaning any more, it's not bad... why do it then? What really does annoy me is when people disguise swear words in text conversations. You know you shouldn't be doing it if you are trying to disguise it but you still do it?
Farting is diferent, it's a natural function and everyone does it whether they admit it or not. that's like saying "what do you think about women breathing?"

I generally have no problem with swearing, which is surprising because my mum brought me up in a non-swearing environment. She absolutely hated it and would not tolerate it in the house. But i on the other hand, tend to swear a heck of a lot, and to all extremeties. But i can also recognise when it is appropriate or not, and change my vocabulary to suit. for example whenever my grandparents are visiting, i won't utter profanities in their presence. Although if i'm on my own with my grandpa, i know i can let a few words loose here and there because he'll do the same thing. Around the gf i hold back as well, at least until i know her a bit better.
Most guys don't care about swearing, and will let rip with whatever words they want around other guys, but in public, and around women it will be toned down (in my experience anyway). It's all relevant to where you are and who you're with. Since i enjoy swearing a lot, i don't mind it most of the time when women swear in front of me, and it'll actually help me to open up to them because i feel more comfortable.
BUT. There are times when it's just over the top. With both girls AND guys. (a lot of the time I probably DO pass over that line and don't realise). But swearing is as much a part of aussie culture as drinking is. imo. Just keep it to the level that the others around you are okay with. (E.G. in the office that level is normally 'none', whereas the shed out back is 'F@rk1ng excessive')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back