Swelling in python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzlizardking

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just looking as a strange swelling in a 8.5 - 9 yr old Port Mac it's about 30 to 40 cm down from the head and looks like she has Eaton a med size egg. Any ideas on what it is or is it anything to worry about?

There was an interesting article in Reptile Australia (RA) a few months ago about a woma which suffered from a similar affliction (can't find the copy for the life of me). If you keep back copies of RA, look back and see if you can find it. Naturally, only a vet can tell you what is really wrong with your snake, but the article is worth looking at all the same. I hope your snake is O.K.

Hope its not something with the heart?

As others have said id be getting it a vet asap

Is the snake well? Has it regurgitated at all or eating? Swelling can be one of the organs in the area, hard to tell where exactly but I would be thinking heart or stomach, more likely heart as looks too close to head for stomach, or some sort of mass like a tumor or abscess. Snakes can get heart disease like any other animal, what does the swelling feel like?

Is the snake well? Has it regurgitated at all or eating? Swelling can be one of the organs in the area, hard to tell where exactly but I would be thinking heart or stomach, more likely heart as looks too close to head for stomach, or some sort of mass like a tumor or abscess. Snakes can get heart disease like any other animal, what does the swelling feel like?

She is very active and even though her last feed was a mth ago no problems there and stools was the same all ok.
It does look like the heart area so that don't look good I guess.

She is one angry snake will watch and fly at anything close to her or wait for me to come close.
But never in a harry to go anywhere.

The lump looks like a she has eaton a over size egg.

She is very active and even though her last feed was a mth ago no problems there and stools was the same all ok.
It does look like the heart area so that don't look good I guess.

She is one angry snake will watch and fly at anything close to her or wait for me to come close.
But never in a harry to go anywhere.

The lump looks like a she has eaton a over size egg.

its time to see a vet, call first ting in the morning and get a check up. will need an xray or 2 and then possibly ultrasound if it is the heart. the faster you get it checked the less it will cost and the better for the python.

There was an interesting article in Reptile Australia (RA) a few months ago about a woma which suffered from a similar affliction (can't find the copy for the life of me). If you keep back copies of RA, look back and see if you can find it. Naturally, only a vet can tell you what is really wrong with your snake, but the article is worth looking at all the same. I hope your snake is O.K.

does look alot like that article. hope it's ok.

If its in the area of the heart thats prob not good. Best to take her to your vet and get an x-ray or ultrasound and find out what it is. If you hold the area of the lump can you feel the heart or is she too fiesty to handle like that?

Had a Atherton that had the same problem. She also had swelling on the top of her head. Took her to the herp vet and after having an ultrasound found out that she had a tumor next to her heart. Booked her in for the opp the next day, but the vet fell ill and couldnt do it. She died that night.:(.
A lot of vets dont have ultrasound machines and have to either call a mobile unit or take them to a clinic. Which isn't cheap, and the people who have to do the ultrasound freak at the thought of going near a big python, some will not do it. We were lucky that we had a vet that was use to handling herps.

If its in the area of the heart thats prob not good. Best to take her to your vet and get an x-ray or ultrasound and find out what it is. If you hold the area of the lump can you feel the heart or is she too fiesty to handle like that?

No very strikey:cry: Poor vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back