Swelling in python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a Atherton that had the same problem. She also had swelling on the top of her head. Took her to the herp vet and after having an ultrasound found out that she had a tumor next to her heart. Booked her in for the opp the next day, but the vet fell ill and couldnt do it. She died that night.:(.
A lot of vets dont have ultrasound machines and have to either call a mobile unit or take them to a clinic. Which isn't cheap, and the people who have to do the ultrasound freak at the thought of going near a big python, some will not do it. We were lucky that we had a vet that was use to handling herps.

We have one of the best herp Vets in NSW here. Dr Mark Simpson BVSc MACVSc (Avian Health) CMAVA
Sugarloaf Animal Hospital
67 Carrington Street
West Wallsend NSW 2286

I find out tomorrow - as she is having a four day holiday - and he is interested to find out himself not only as a vet but a keeper what it is - heart problems are something not seen in a 9/10 yr old Carpets.

cant it be removed if it is a abcess then it can be drained if it is a tumor then get it removed and sent to the lab for identification

It can be most likely removed but won't guarantee cure, if anything probably just prolong her pain. If the vet misses the tiniest amount, an abcess will grow back - and cause toxicity illness to the snake. Tumors can be removed but if a piece breaks off and gets in the blood stream another tumor may pop up elsewhere. So its all a 50/50 but no guarantee at all :(

It can be most likely removed but won't guarantee cure, if anything probably just prolong her pain. If the vet misses the tiniest amount, an abcess will grow back - and cause toxicity illness to the snake. Tumors can be removed but if a piece breaks off and gets in the blood stream another tumor may pop up elsewhere. So its all a 50/50 but no guarantee at all :(

Would you have her put to sleep?
I say this because I don't like to see her in pain and if the antibiotics don't work that my be the next course:(

Leave your descision until you see the vet. Once you know what it is, then work out the options. Best of luck darren, hope it works out.

oops! Glad you found my reply ALK, but I just posted a reply to "Cement's" into your thread. All the same I still think it applies. I was wondering why he had a comment in and I couldn't find it in your thread :rolleyes:

Hi Ive recently lost the love of my life a 7ft female diamond,who exhibeted signs of swelling ,,just prior to death.Snake had a perfect medical record,and showed no signs of being ill. Autopsy report diagnosis was Acute focal bacterial eneritis.Im researching topic.Would strongly advise you to seek veterinary advice.Good luck.

I think its quite clear you have not showed this python enough love and attention. Did you even breastfeed it until it was a sub adult atleast??? People like you make me sick.

LAMA? what you been sniffing girl you make no sense at all .........you realise when using the likes of either turps or mould spray you are suppose to ventilate your area.....get a grip on reality woman you are giving the rest of us females a bad RAP!

look girl. I am just saying from my experiences this guy is a moron, he isnt showing as much love and affection a beuatiful pet requires.

yea sorry auzlizardking that wasnt me being rude

hope ur snakes alright how did it go at the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back