Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0_missy_0

Reaction score
Who here has been to Sydney Wildlife World??

I just went there this arvo, admittingly not out of my own will..my mum thinks I'm getting too cooped up at home on school holidays:pAnyways, I was expecting it to be like Koala Park, and Reptile Park and, you know, a typical zoo where the animals aren't even in enclosures that mimic their natural habitat:rolleyes:But it was awesome! It was really well made, both the enclosures and the whole inside of the building. The enclosures were like they took pieces out of nature and put them into a building it was amazing. The native birds' enclosure was MASSIVE! It was all really impressing!:D

It was also good to see bredli up close like that because I'll be getting a hatchling for myself in a few weeks, so it was just good to see what kind of a monster mine will turn into;) LOL when my mum realised those huge monsters are what my little hatchling will turn into she nearly died. She hates snakes, and when she saw those massive bredli she literally ran. And the scrub pythons... don't even get me started on her reaction when she saw them!:lol:

Basically the point of this thread is, if you haven't already been there, go now! Considering I'm against zoos (most of the time), it's really saying something when I say I'm impressed by this! I'd also like to hear anyone else's opinions on this place:)

Michelle:D

Sold my pair of Olive pythons to them

Really? I didn't see any olives there:?maybe they keep them out back to use for the reptile shows??

Tourist Rubbish, polished turds........the only reason it looks so pretty is Frank Sator is funding the damn thing. It also is dodgy and managed to come under the existing ARAZPA membership of the Aquarium because they "are one in the same" even though they charge seperate entry fees and require you to exit and line up to enter again.

Yeah it looks really pretty but i'm not a fan. You hate zoos yet praise Sydney Wildlife just because it looks "pretty and real"??? There's more to good husbandry and management then having a pretty exhibit. Some of their bits are good. The inverts is well set-up and very impressive.

Bah........i couldn't be bothered.

Not only the realisticness but they've given adequate space to each animal. To me the animals looked very happy. But, I guess I can't really say they practice good husbandry and management because, well, I was only there for a couple hours max lol, and I had no idea it was so dodgey :S I have no idea who Frank Sator is so I can't comment on that lol.

Well, I was under the impression that they're dedicated to the welfare of their animals, but, seems I may be wrong :S
I do hate zoos, with a passion, though sometimes they are needed in cases such as endangered animal breeding programs, but generally I hate zoos. This one seemed different and, as I said, it gave me the impression that they are dedicated to their animals. But I guess things aren't always as they seem.

Thanks for telling me that, I probably never would have known otherwise.

They have black headed monitors. No ackies or mulgas as far as I saw.

They also have perentie monitors, I think that's what they're called, which I personally love :)

I went there and really liked it....... Thought the place was well planned and like mentioned, the animals definitely looked happy......... Loved the native bird enclosure and the best part all this achieved in a building....... Was even lucky to meet some of the staff and trust me they knew their stuff....... I really think that place is a good way to promote OZ reptiles........

Tourist Rubbish, polished turds........the only reason it looks so pretty is Frank Sator is funding the damn thing. It also is dodgy and managed to come under the existing ARAZPA membership of the Aquarium because they "are one in the same" even though they charge seperate entry fees and require you to exit and line up to enter again.

Yeah it looks really pretty but i'm not a fan. You hate zoos yet praise Sydney Wildlife just because it looks "pretty and real"??? There's more to good husbandry and management then having a pretty exhibit. Some of their bits are good. The inverts is well set-up and very impressive.

You sound very bitter. :evil:Tell us what you really think! :D

Why do you guys hate zoos?

Do you hate Australia Zoo?

I really like zoos, so long as the animals are well looked after. My partner and I went to a fantastic zoo called Orana Wildlife Park last year. It's in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Yeah it looks really pretty but i'm not a fan. You hate zoos yet praise Sydney Wildlife just because it looks "pretty and real"??? There's more to good husbandry and management then having a pretty exhibit.

I know a couple of the keepers in the reptile department and they would have a lot more experience than many people on here. Just becasue exhibits look good etc etc does not mean the animals are not looked after. I have seen behind the scenes here as well and everything is immaculately maintained, even down to the ants they breed for the molochs. One of the guys involved is world reknowned for his work with lace monitors and now also with perenties. So as much as you may not be a fan, don't knock husbandry unless you know who is caring for and how they are caring for their animals. JMO.

Personally I think the place looks pretty good. What you would expect from a first class tourist attraction.

Daz

It is obvious that they have put a lot of research, time and effort into setting up this exhibit and I found the result excellent. Few private setups could come close to the enclosures they have put together.

None of the enclosures were the least bit cramped for space. They were all clean and well set up. The keepers I spoke to were all professionals (no volunteers) and had good answers when quizzed.

I liked SWW a lot except for the entry price which is a tad on the steep side but I suppose that is part of what allows them to set the place up correctly.

It also is dodgy
That's quite a statement to make without any further explanation and evidence to back it up, and certainly contrary to what others "in the know" have said. As such Missy I don't think you should attach much importance to Womanators comments.

1) I did not think that the Aquarium wasn't an ARAZPA member until SWW came along.

2) My understanding is that SWW is privately funded... the entry free seems to reflect this ;-)

Northern Territory Wildlife Park is a fantastic zoo if anyone is every around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back