Tadpole feeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why would you boil the tadpoles? if they are a native species? understand if they are cane taddies but gtf or some other native why would you do that for ??????????????RBB sounds sick to me dude joel..

why would you boil the tadpoles? if they are a native species? understand if they are cane taddies but gtf or some other native why would you do that for ??????????????RBB sounds sick to me dude joel..

You've never had Taddie soup?? It's fantastic!! and improves vigour in the bedroom ;)

We raised up a bunch of taddies a couple of months ago. Fed them mostly on frozen spinach from the supermarket and frozen fish food we already had for our fish. They went nuts over the spinach. All grew into healthy little brown frogs. I did a bit of research at the time and I remember reading that it is legal to keep them for 7 days after metamorphis. In Qld that is. After they become little froggies it is really important they have somewhere to climb up out of the water or they will drown. I piled the gravel up in one corner of the tank and used to move my little froggies into their own container once they left the water. It had sand in it with afew leaves, a log and a shallow water bowl. Yes they were spoiled. I also used to put a small bit of ripe fruit in the container every day to attract the little flies for the baby frogs. It was fun to watch them chase the flies around the container. The container was one of my young snake ones but with heaps of holes in it. I also dampened the sand to keep the environment moist. A bit overboard perhaps but I had fun doing it.....better add that its the missus here. Wouldn't want you all thinking Lewy talks like that!

Last edited:
Would boiling them be against the law?
I've been feeding mine turtle sticks and fishfood, but I will try lettuce now too...

i remember someone telling me you can feed them sliced cucumber & bacon or ham....no idea if its ok though .....i know fish flake & tablet food is fine...plus all the other stuff people have already mentioned.
I think they eat just about anything dont they ? including their own brothers & sisters:lol:

I'm hoping mine don't eat their brothers and sisters! I have a couple of different sized tadpoles but I only have one water heater so I don't really want to separate. I have mine from my sons childcare as they had so many tadpoles and didn't know what to do with them. They are GTF and I'll be selling them once they become froggies.
Kim

LOL...its ok kim, ive never heard of them attacking eachother (you never know though eh ...some species might!) I think its just when one of them dies & then its just a case of recycling .

I curenty have 6 different species of tadpoles.- perons, g&g bell, stoney creeks, banjo, albino spotted grass, normal spotted grass. (many of which will be for sale in the coming months) I love tadpoles:lol: hence the username

I use frozen romaine (cos lettuce) or boc choy. I used to use the boiled lettuce but you will find it dirties the water alot quicker, so switch to the frozen stuff for cleaner water.
I also use a peice of frozen butternut pumpkin at the bottom to keep them happy inbetween feeds.

About different size tads, tadpoles naturally emit a hormone that stops other tads growing, this is a survial techinque to make sure a predater doesnt come along and eat all the morphling frogs at once. Therefore it is perfectly for tads to be different sizes.
Thats why when you have just one or two tads in a small amount of water thay take a very long time to morph

The only other common prob is canabilism, which is normally caused by overcrowding and the need for more food, It is easily fixed with a bigger tank for the taddies and once daily feeding

there are laws, so you should definetly either put them in a pot and boil them up or tip them on the lawn to die. euthanising is the only way to handle this situation. peoples responses on these forums never seem to surprise me...

I'm just comparing it to the response you would get if someone said "I was renovating and found a clutch of snakes/lizards/a baby possum/kangaroo etc and I'm keeping them in my home without a licence or any proper authority until I decided whether to release them."

I'm not having a go at the original poster here, and I don't really care one way or the other, but I'm guessing NPWS might have a problem with it...

ok cool. I think they have enough room and enough food. I have had them for a couple of weeks and I was worried about the freshly hatched ones (only a couple of mm in size!) staying in with the big ones. So far no cannibilism or death. Of course I don't know the exact numbers of the tiny ones I got but they have grown alot.
Will be trying some lettuce shortly.
Kim

BTW Bob2, I think it's a great idea. You have just replaced the pool with a tank, you are not "keeping" them as pets or to sell.
Kim

wanted to post something but this sites playin up again
the drop down menus dont work .....or smileys....& if you try & reply with someones quote it comes back all gobble-degook......weird.

Last edited:
peoples responses on these forums never seem to surprise me...

Its called "having an opinion on everything" which is why some people manage to rack up 6-700 posts in the space of a few months ! APS smileys are broken....ill use my own!

I'm just comparing it to the response you would get if someone said "I was renovating and found a clutch of snakes/lizards/a baby possum/kangaroo etc and I'm keeping them in my home without a licence or any proper authority until I decided whether to release them."

I'm not having a go at the original poster here, and I don't really care one way or the other, but I'm guessing NPWS might have a problem with it...

..but if you have a pond in your yard in which frogs breed of their own accord you are not in trouble for them being there, nor need a permit.

You are always allowed to relocate tadpoles within your property if they would otherwise be in danger where they originally were.

Wouldn't have a clue. I doubt they are cane toads as they wouldn't be able to get in the pool to start with and I think toadpoles are fairly dark which these ones aren't. Apart from that I have no idea.

Yeah, the cane toad tadpoles are virtually black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back