Talking to boys, girls, men and women

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
I attended a lecture during last week by a psych called Andrew Fuller. Some of the information is not just interesting but down right useful! I hope some people can gain a little insight from this. I hope you all appreciate how long it took me to type this tuff up too lol.

Communication is a Tricky Business!

The fine art of talking, getting your message heard and understood as well as converted into some form of action by another human being is an amazinglly tricky business.

What makes it even murkier is that it often seems that men and women speak entirely different languages. The brains of boys and girls are reasonably similar but the way they use languages is poles apart!

While there are always exceptions and generalisations, it is useful to know how most men and most women use language. As we go through these differences it will become clear that the fact that most relationships work is nothing short of miraculous!

Men are chasers and women are choosers. This is reflected in the way they talk to one another. Men use talk to gain attention and status, to be the chosen one. Women use conversations to connecct and maintain relationships. They are vigilant to shifts in nuances and tones. Females are well adapted to spot mens lies, brags and exagerations.

For men, language is about status and independance. Men are highly vigilant for shifts in respect. The jostling and jockying in male conversations is designed to answer the question "Do you respect me?" Jokes stories and pranks are important to boys and men because they allow them to be centre stage and gain attention. It is extremely rare to see a woman at a BBQ call a few of the gals over and start sharing a joke ot the group.

For women, the art of conversation is about intimacy and connection. Behind much of their talking is the questions "Do you like me?" and "am i a part of your group?" To build this connection through conversation many women use discussions to emphasise similarity. For example "Oh yes i've had that problem too!"

Men and women talk abo-ut problems differently too. Women use problems to build similarity and closeness. If two women have a similar problem they are appear to be alike and must be friends. Men look at problems as things to be minimised or solved. They might share problems or frustrations but will often bond over minimalising or solving them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Girl Chat/ Boy Chat

Girls speak about 2-3 times more words a day than boys. By 20 months of age a girls vocabulary is 3 times greater than a boys.

In schools girls play games in which everyone gets a turn. Girls take turns 20 times more often than boys. Boys play games in which there are winners and losers.

Girls often form close knit cliques with secret rules. They are on the phone with the door shut. Gossiping becomes a favourite activity and helps them cope with stresses as they feel they are not alone.

Girls react to relationship distancing, boys react to challenges to their authority.

Men mainly use vasopressin for bonding and relationships while women use oxytocin and estrogen. Vasopressin increases attention, protectiveness and tracking in men.

This will be one of the most useful hints you boys will ever get so listen up!!!
Oxcytocin is released in girls and women even with a 20 second hug-sealing the bond with the hugger and trust. Boys need to be touched 2-3 times as much as girls to attain the same level of oxytocin.

Interesting Gordo & very much appreciated:lol:, i'm raising 6 kids. 4 boys 2 girls so this is actually quite helpful & makes a fair amount of sense as to why I speak & interact quite differently with my boys to my girls. Of course I treat them all equally but there are definate differences in how I communicate with them all.

Then i suppose i should type up the information he gave us regarding parents speaking to sons/daughters??? :lol:

FEMALES are well adapted to spot mens lies, brags and exagerations.....
this is something the male species needs to UNDERSTAND ...tis better to tell the truth and hope for forgiveness ..then tell a lie and treat her like an idiot SHE KNOWS FELLAS SHE KNOWS .....
good read Gordo :)

FEMALES are well adapted to spot mens lies, brags and exagerations.....
this is something the male species needs to UNDERSTAND ...tis better to tell the truth and hope for forgiveness ..then tell a lie and treat her like an idiot SHE KNOWS FELLAS SHE KNOWS .....
good read Gordo :)

AND!!! It is just as important for women to understand the importance of men's exxagerations, brags and lies to his mental well being and sense of belonging!

AND!!! It is just as important for women to understand the importance of men's exxagerations, brags and lies to his mental well being and sense of belonging!
agree'd and thats why I am still married after 20 odd years ...he can BS to his mates till the cows come home but knows dont BS to me or he is on the couch and his dinner is in the dogs bowl ;)

Advice for parents speaking to sons

* Use unadultered prais; do not qualify (eg you did that well but you could do better). Don't add ideas or suggestions, just praise.

* Let him know you love and respect him- tell him and then tell him again. Keep telling him!

* Give options and choices wherevere possible.

* Boys are mor elikely to have problems expressing feelings and be more liable to misinterpretations. Be direct. Be firm. Be fair and if you can be funny.

* Always incoorporate wait time- so if you want something done by 5pm start suggesting it about 2 hours before and ue hit and run reminders.

* Boys are less resilient than girls and may be more romantic. Hurts run deep. Don't hover around them using alot of words but stay near by and be caring.

* Boys like to score! Competition is fun!

* More acne is a clue that androgen levels are high. Asssosciated with less empathy and more grumpiness. Therefore this may not be a good time to talk about feelings.

* Boys are often more communicative when horizontal- bedtime can be a good time for a chat.

If you have the time that would be great:D

I'm a primary school teacher and am on holidays atm. SO i have heaps of time lol. Just trying to find constructive stuff to do instead of being a fatty and sitting on the couch.

Daughters need emotional and more cry times and its ok sweetie things will get better type of conversations ..allowing them to bitch about their friends but dont you have a bitch about their friends as most likely she and her have already made up ...Boys you just get to know the different grunts and groans and as long as you dont try and compete with them cause they seem to suffer a major case of FIG JAM ..you can usually bluff your way through ...its hard and this is why most of us own a dog as they will listen and never want to talk back ....

Cheers Gordo:D
RBB, sounds like you have teenagers too:lol:

Advice for parents speaking to daughters

Advice for parents speaking to daughters

* Drama, drama, drama! The female brain loves it! Expect it and don't think you can avoid any of it!

* Don't beleive everything they say in arguments. As they are often more verbal than boys they can often say things that are more hurtful.

* Sometimes listening and reassuring is enough.

* Let them know you love them and suggest gently how they may be even more loved by them.

* In the first two weeks of their cycle, the high octane hormone estrogen fuels obsessions, looking at themsleves in the mirror, chattiness, off the wall ideas and privacy paranoia.

* In the last two weeks of her cycle, progesterone takes over. Prgesterone is the Great Garbo of the hormons world and results in increased irritability and wanting to be alone.

* These hormones come in waves but in the progesterone phase if some stress occurs you often get meltdowns including yelling and slamming doors. Learn the patterns.

* Know her friends as well as you can. They will know her secrets and deals can always be struck if need be.

yeah I have 4 two of each ..my oldest is 21 (m) then 20(F) then 18(F) then 16(M) ..so I have been doing the teenage hormonal rollarcoaster ride for a fair few years now :)

It's fun hey:lol:, we are just getting going really my kids are 16(m),14(m),13(m),12(f),10(f) & 2(m)

Advice for men speaking to women and girls

* Listen to understand before suggesting anythingat all. When in doubt DO NOT suggest anything at all!

* Girls think if i just get 'it' right I'll get the reaction i want. If i get 'it' right he will love me. If you can gently show them that what they can do, anxiety lessens and affection grows.

*If a partner stops responding to a woman, she thinks he is distancing or she has done something wrong and they may panic that he is leaving. If you are feeling unresponsive or needing solo time explain that you are feeling that way.

* Men don't read sadness in women well. Ask for details, who, what, where, when and how do you feel about that? Do not dismiss with a perfunctory 'it will be alright' or 'don't worry about it!'

*Disclose. Use personal examples. If you don't have any make them up!

*Details are important- earrings are not randomly selected! Haircuts are for noticing.

* 20 second hugging increases oxytocin in women.

* Interdependance does not threaten freedom.

* In arguments don't defend yourself. Listen carefully for as long as it takes and apologise... even if you don't mean it.

Advice for women speaking to men- last one lol

* Ask them for advice and suggestions. Under no circumstances feel no obligation to implement any of it!

* Try to see silence as contentment. Men are often quiestest when they are at their happiest.

* Talk about activities rather than feelings or "the relationship."

* Use data rather than personal anecdotes.

* Mention details but don't ask for them (they wont have them!)

* Know that you will never truly understand the friendly world of rivalry and contest amongst boys and men.

* Remember men and boys need 2 to 3 times as much touch as girls to acheive the same oxytocin level gains.

* Boys are fidgety and communicate in short bursts. Use short sharp messages. Don't flood them with words or questions.

* Know that conflict and difference do not threaten intimacy.

* Know that watching football is important and it is NEVER an opportunity to talk about feelings!

Well.... fair point
however on ther subject of lies

Men may infact lie more than women... however our lies are smaller and less harsh eg< yes i was at john's fixing his car, yes i did take the bins out, yes i will remember to put my cloths in the wash....

However a womans lie is bigger EG: Its Your baby.

:D

Well.... fair point
however on ther subject of lies

Men may infact lie more than women... however our lies are smaller and less harsh eg< yes i was at john's fixing his car, yes i did take the bins out, yes i will remember to put my cloths in the wash....

However a womans lie is bigger EG: Its Your baby.

:D

Bahahahahaa!

And our lies are usually to help girls feel good about themselves.

Eg. You look great in that dress! No you don't need to lose weight.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back