Tame snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysseee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So often lately on this site i hear people calling their reptiles "tame". Tame snake, tame monitor, tame 6m scrub...

Now, I do believe I have a gorgeous good natured snake but she is not a tame animal, she is a wild animal with wild instincts. She has never bitten me but i respect her ability to do so. (although i doubt a bite from a 40cm pygmy python would bother me...)

So please do not give the illusion that reptiles are tame, this is not something we should be putting into peoples heads. Next thing we know wild pythons in the bush will be tame....

I never refer to mine as tame, I refer to him as placid

I think you're just arguing semantics. I don't believe anyone here uses that word the way you would for a dog (although I've been trying to teach my Jungle to sit for a few months now). Tame on here generally refers to how amiable the animal is to handling and its likeliness to bite

we call dogs tame? they have potential to bite us whenever they want but they choose not to most of the time.
to me, there is such thing as a tame reptile, yeah they can bite you but if a keeper knows there reptiles well enough they should know what the limits are for there reptile, 'what to poke & what not to poke' sorta thing.

Or, like me, 'tame' is used as opposed to living in the backyard, not reared by human hands. I wouldn't exactly refer to any of our animals as tame in the domesticated sense.

I'd say laid back and placid. I've come across wild pythons that are better tempered then some captives. That does not mean their tame, their either placid, or just wanna get away from you, like all snakes will do, aslong as you give them the space and respect to do so.

I clicked on this expecting another "Wut is da best snake fur de cuddles an stuf?" post but was so happy to find this instead lol

Trololol... what was the point of this thread?

tame (t
amacr.gif
m)adj. tam·er, tam·est 1. Brought from wildness into a domesticated or tractable state.
2. Naturally unafraid; not timid: "The sea otter is gentle and relatively tame" (Peter Matthiessen).
3. Submissive; docile; fawning: tame obedience.
4. Insipid; flat: a tame Christmas party.
5. Sluggish; languid; inactive: a tame river

It all relates to which definition of tame you are using. I think the OPs definition relates to domestication, where as others are refering to it as "tractable, docile, or submissive, as in their disposition."

In the end it all comes down to personal preference.

So often lately on this site i hear people calling their reptiles "tame". Tame snake, tame monitor, tame 6m scrub...

Now, I do believe I have a gorgeous good natured snake but she is not a tame animal, she is a wild animal with wild instincts. She has never bitten me but i respect her ability to do so. (although i doubt a bite from a 40cm pygmy python would bother me...)

So please do not give the illusion that reptiles are tame, this is not something we should be putting into peoples heads. Next thing we know wild pythons in the bush will be tame....
why worry about what pepole class there animals at , if your that silly to 100% trust ANY animal - then u will belive everything on the internet .

Last edited:
If a cat can be tame a snake can be tame

But a wildcat isnt tame and neither is a wild snake

If a cat can be tame a snake can be tame

But a wildcat isnt tame and neither is a wild snake

Every cat I've pat and tried to be nice too, they act all cuddly and attention seeking, and once their over it they turn around and latch on with Claws and teeth..

Exactly

Snakes and cats are very similar in many ways
Feed them and they hang around
Someone offers better food and they leave

Every cat I've pat and tried to be nice too, they act all cuddly and attention seeking, and once their over it they turn around and latch on with Claws and teeth..

Cats are very smart and obviously don't like you. I have 1 who lets me know when there will be a storm and never leaves my side when I am sick. My pythons don't do that!!

Cats are very smart and obviously don't like you. I have 1 who lets me know when there will be a storm and never leaves my side when I am sick. My pythons don't do that!!

I hear a lot of good story's and things about cats, and i'd love to have a cat like that, but i think your right, cats very much dislike me..

All i know is every time i open my Stimi's cage door, she comes out of where ever she is hiding and heads towards me. If i hold my hands out she climbs into them and sits happily in them for ages. I never knew a snake could be so friendly. To feel so comfortable around me and even "seek" me out when i am messing around in her cage - is that not tame?

All i know is every time i open my Stimi's cage door, she comes out of where ever she is hiding and heads towards me. If i hold my hands out she climbs into them and sits happily in them for ages. I never knew a snake could be so friendly. To feel so comfortable around me and even "seek" me out when i am messing around in her cage - is that not tame?

Nope, not tame :p She is just smart. Everyone thinks their snake has to learn to trust them......when in fact i think your snake is just making you think you can trust it.......before you know it,the inevitable happens & they 'size you up' ;)

This is abit of a pointless 'argument' because as everyone has said, we all know what our pets are capable of, even if they are 'friendly' or tolerant of us. Those who dont believe there 'cuddly' pet could ever bite them.......usually dont keep snakes for long. ;) I wont lie, my Bredli is my best friend :p she loves me as much as i do her.........but could she bite me if she wants........sure could. But so can my cats, dogs, birds & even my fish!

Bel, and everyone else saying it, those of you who say your snakes 'love you' do you actually beleive that statement? That your reptile has an emotional attachment to you or is it a bit tongue in cheek?

Bel, and everyone else saying it, those of you who say your snakes 'love you' do you actually beleive that statement? That your reptile has an emotional attachment to you or is it a bit tongue in cheek?

Did you see the :p..........of course i dont really think she 'loves' me. But we are best friends! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back