Tank mates for water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget

Reaction score
I'm after some suggestions on suitable lizards to house with a pair of medium sized water dragons. I've been given a round tank about 4.5m in diameter and ~1m high, to wich I'm going to add mesh walls and a roof of some description so nothing can climb in/out. Will also include a large pond, rocks, vines etc.

Basically I'd like to know what lizards others have kept in with water dragons successfully?

So far I'm thinking:
-Mertens (cos I've already got 1)
-Boyds?
-Pink tongues?
-Prob some sort of turtle

Would file snakes eat an unsuspecting lizard?

Cheers

i wouldn't put shinglebacks with water dragons.

however eastern beardeds, blueys, cunninghams and turtles are fine

Probably best not to get a turtle. I took a picture of this wild EWD on the dam at Rainforestation near Kuranda last week and the tour guide said that the end of its tail had probably been taken by a turtle.
Cairns Trip 31-08 to 04-09-2009 130.jpg

My mate lee has eastern long necks and blueys with his ewd and has no problems

Beardies no hassle, sleepys/blue-tongues might run into probs if your water is too deep.

You would not be able to keep file snakes unless you're very specialized in aquatic animals. They do not last particularly long in captivity.

Yeah, I had a bluetongue drown once before in a relatively small pond. I think my EWDs are more likely to have a go a turtle rather than the other way round , guess it would depend on size. Have heard that stumpies dont do too well in high humidity? Could be BS tho.

Ok thanks tiger, was in touch with a breeder a couple of years ago that kept his in outdoor ponds, thats what made me think it could be ok.

Last edited:
i would keep eastern beardies, blueys or long neck turtles. they can all inhabit the same areas which is the most important so they can have the same conditions with a few variations.

and it is very likey if the water dragon left its tail dangling in the water that the turtle would come and chomp it, might not bite thought it though, but i had turtles with my water dragons and any tails left in the water got chomped! was hilarious watching the water dragons jump into the air thinking "what they hell!!" haha but no harm done. the turtle did get jumped on though but soon learnt to get out of the way and drop to the bottom of the water. i also would see them basking next to eachother :)

I used to have a short neck of some description about 10cm across in with the ewds. Everytime the turtle came out of the water the dragons would get excited and bite at its head/feet/tail, was funny to watch, the turtle didnt seem to bothered by it and never got injured.
Also watched the turtle catch and eat a garden skink that got too close to the waters edge, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back