Tarantulas.... do you own one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own seven, all but one are captive bred sub adult females, approx 5yo, just babies really! I am hoping to get at least 20yrs out of my girls:D The other one is only 17 months old but a very good eater!!! Also reasonably docile so she is becoming more & more easy to handle. I"m just glad our aussie Tarantulas dont have uraticating hairs like some O/S species:shock: Sorry if I sound like an ******* but can we NOT call them "birrd eating spiders" ? Throws them into a very large basket, besides, they dont eat birds!!!! Ground dwelling & all that;) Are those pics of the Redknee in Oz??? WOW!!!! Cant be..............

Are the Australian ones available in petshops venomous? what effect does it have on us?
All Australian Tarantulas are venomous, fortunatley not know to be deadly. Very painful bite, vomiting swelling & I"m told on good authority this goes on for roughly 6/9 hrs:?

Venomous, but not dangerous.

They do eat birds, Selenotypus plumipes in particular have been found killing and eating young chickens and guinea fowl on more than one occasion

they are good fun just remember grab the females as the live like 8 years longer, i had a male from the time he was the size of a pinkie nail and he only lived for 4 and a half years i thought i killed him but i spoke to a couple of people and they said that anything over 4 years is a bonus with the males

Selenotypus and Selenotholus are the ones that generally dont come out as much, Phlogius sp. however are quite surface actice

they are good fun just remember grab the females as the live like 8 years longer, i had a male from the time he was the size of a pinkie nail and he only lived for 4 and a half years i thought i killed him but i spoke to a couple of people and they said that anything over 4 years is a bonus with the males
& yrs for males,15/ 20 for Females, again, not bragging I just have this on the information I have learned from the most knowledgable person of Aus Tarantulas in the world:D Dr: Raven, Townsville Uni.

I have several spiders. If you are interested in getting into them check out http://jazinvertebrates.net/phpBB3/index.php (for all invertebrates) and http://theata.org/forum/index.php (for all Australian tarantula's). They are great animals and get the same sort of treatment as reptiles do in some cases. Here are some pictures of some of my inverts. They are great to watch.

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

These are my sons' spiders.

The first is a Chilean Rosehair, the second a Brazilian Giant White Knee.

Glenns Rosehair 1.JPG

Kyokumo.JPG

This is our first go 'round with spiders and it's been quite interesting up to this point. We do not handle our spiders. They are fed three times a week and the White Knee eats for three weeks then molts as they are very fast growers. the Rosehair has a fantastic appetite and grabs the prey items right off the forceps that I feed her with.

We now keep the Rosehair in a small glass aquarium. The White Knee is in a Sterlite at this point, but will be going into a glass tank in a few weeks as his growth rate warrants it. Neither of our spiders go to ground and the Rosehair will walk on the glass walls so they can be fun to watch.

The information provided from everyone has been so interesting, Thank You! Im definately looking forwayrd to learning more before getting my very own :)

here are a few pictures of my favourite species note the bottom picture of the Phlogius sp hirsutusis a new species of Tarantula just found less than a moth go

cheers

Greg Bylund
Aussie goliath Phlogius sp.
2008_0215GOLIATH0006.JPG

Phlogius Strenuus
2008_0125girlbig0008.jpg

Phlogius sp. "rubiseta"
Rubiseta.png

and a New species just forund less than a month agoPhlogius sp hirsutus
Phlogius_sp_hirsutus_01_1......jpg

mmmmmm as much as I am trying to be really brave and show enthusiasim IT BRINGS ME TO A WEEPY MESS AND THE FEAR IS IN MAJOR OVER LOAD ....but as much as I feel and fear spiders,I would never want to see such amazing mini beasts dead .....

Anyone here know how to sex them and how old they need to be to be sexed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back