Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varanus acanthurus (a.ka. the 'ackie') is a great starter monitor and there are a number of smaller ones as well, such as Varanus gilleni. If you want to go a bit larger than those, one of the sand monitors, such as Varanus gouldii or the desert sand monitor Varanus gouldii flavirufus. A bit bigger than those is the Spencer's monitor, Varanus spenceri. The larger species need a huge amount of space, though. One of the best things about animals the size of Varanus acanthurus is that they have all of the same attitude and behaviours of the larger monitors, but you can house a pair in a much smaller enclosure than the larger species and have a go at breeding them.

plus if an ackie bites you wont do serious damage like larger ones are capable of.

not sure if its been mentioned yet,but you have to respect large monitors,never trust them 100 percent,and dont be in a rush to aquire them in the hopes of having dog tame ones,they are all individuals and even the tamest ones are capable of doing some serious damage,dont get me wrong ,there awsome to keep,just respect what they are capable of

plus if an ackie bites you wont do serious damage like larger ones are capable of.

not sure if its been mentioned yet,but you have to respect large monitors,never trust them 100 percent,and dont be in a rush to aquire them in the hopes of having dog tame ones,they are all individuals and even the tamest ones are capable of doing some serious damage,dont get me wrong ,there awsome to keep,just respect what they are capable of
i couldnt agree more , i would rather a flighty monitor then a puppy dog tame one . because then i know i would never become complacent with it .

You're right, Richard and this has been mentioned a few times. I always stress this, especially with lace monitors.

...but if you think that the absence of the target ball is a guarantee the animal will not bite you're going to be in for a rude shock. It is sometimes surprising what triggers a feeding response in an adult lace monitor and you don't want to be in a compromising position when the surprise comes. My animals would be considered to be very 'tame' and I interact with them a lot, but after having kept them for a good number of years I know that there's always an edge there and I am only one silly mistake away from a serious injury.

They're monitors and they have a feeding response so I work around it rather than fight it. They're not a bitey animal on the whole but if there's even the hint of food all bets are off. The chances of eliminating the feeding response to the point that you could trust a monitor never to bite (even if you smell of food and are waving your hands around) are slim and not worth entertaining.

all it takes is one incident for a bad injury.

dont forget they have an amazing sence of smell too, even if u dont use trigger training they can tell the difference between a mouse and you hand!

dont forget they have an amazing sence of smell too, even if u dont use trigger training they can tell the difference between a mouse and you hand!

That's if they're slowly and calmly deciding whether or not something is food and are taking the time to smell it. When a feeding response is triggered it's a reaction to sight and sound, so they usually bite first and then find out what it is second. I think I've already mentioned in this thread that if I take a rolled up wad of newspaper and throw it near my lace monitors they'll grab it instantly and will then usually shred it a fair bit with their teeth and claws before letting it go and giving it a tongue flick to find out that it actually isn't something edible.

If only I could get someone who knows how to take video footage! I was shaking my trainer shoe out one afternoon prior to a walk and my female Lacie (Goblin) launched herself off a dog bed half a metre away and snatched the shoe from my hand, then shook, then tongue flicked, then, eventually, let me have my shoe back.

In may ways they're perhaps more dangerous when they loose their fear of you.

I have seen some pretty dopy looking employees at Target but i am still not sure if a monitor has what it takes to get through their training program.

In may ways they're perhaps more dangerous when they loose their fear of you.

No 'perhaps' about it, I've been saying that for years! People get away with things with wild monitors in picnic grounds that I could never get away with, with my captives at home. Even relatively bold monitors in picnic areas have just the tiniest bit of hesitation that prevents them from rushing straight at people and grabbing the hand holding the sausage. I'm pretty sure my male, Alex, wouldn't extend that courtesy to me if I gave him the opportunity.

They're bold as brass once you become part of the furniture!

Case in point - I was feeding my lace monitors one day recently, when one of my females leapt out of the aviary door and grabbed onto the long tongs I was using. She then tried climbing them to get to my hand. Just as I felt the forks of her tongue flick my hand, I dropped the tongs, with her still clinging to them. She landed on the ground outside the aviary, next to a tray of about 12 quail. At this point I was slowly backing away so she didn't do the dash towards me. But, alas, she did. The quail were ignored and she ran about 3 metres directly towards me. I froze and waited for her to get close enough that I could grab her before she grabbed me, but thankfully, when I stopped, so did she. I started panicking that she was about to do a runner and be in the neighbours yard within 20 seconds. But instead she turned around and casually walked back to the tray of quail and grabbed one. Then I was able to walk over to her, grab her by the base of her tail and drop her back into the aviary while she scoffed down the quail.

Sometimes I dread feeding time.

haha,nice account serp,ive had 2 leap out on me at once,not for the faint of heart,lol

ones that have no fear of you are the ones that scare me the most,especially in regards to food or if they think it could be food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back