Tawny just laid 5 eggs. Advice please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy22

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just found one of my tawnys having laid 5 eggs in their tank,so now the incubating begins. What ive got is a foam esky,layer of sand on the bottom of it,on top of that is a plastic cricket container with some moist vermiculite in it and eggs sitting on it partially pressed down to hold into place.Lid is on cricket container and probe from probe thermostat poked inside the cricket container set at thirty degrees.then esky lid is closed shut. Any suggestions as they prob similar to other small dragons regarding eggs i guess.

what are you using for heat? is there a heat mat under the sand? also, if you havent got the chinese container air tight, you might want to put in a cup of water, as you will lose moisture from the container, and the eggs can dry out. I have an air tight container with a thermometre inside the container so i can tune the thermostat to the correct temp in the container, not in the incubator.

missed that bit,using heat pad under sand in bottom of esky.Should the cricket container be air tight? as ya know they have tiny holes for the crix when ya get em,we've just poked a hole big enough for the probe 2 go into it.

Yeah, you need to buy some airtight click clacks from woolies and a glass aquarium thermometre for inside it. Then adjust the thermostat to the right temp in the container.

alright sounds good. is it best to check it out as in open the lid every now and then to air out the eggs or just let it be now for 2 months?

Well chewy, in my experience, i just open the container for air exchange about once a week.

It works for my eggs, but im not sure if it will work for yours. There are heaps of ways to do things right, my way is only one suggestion.

The egg container doesnt need to be opened at all once incubation begins. You can do it if you like, but i keep it sealed until hatchlings start popping their snouts out of their eggs and then open the lid to get fresh oxygen in there. Its best to have an airtight container. Any holes in the container allows for loss of humidity.

I use glad wrap. Keeps the moisture in and allows air exchange. Just another way of doing it.

Well checked the eggs yesterday and 1 caved in and a couple a bit brown so not lookin 2 good at the moment. Added to that my painted dragon laid 3 eggs so in they went as well,2 days later and they totally caved in almost flat. Bugger. One more tawny pregnant so im thinkin ill try somethin a bit different when they drop in next couple days.

If they've lost a lot of size, try just adding a few mL under the individual egg.. might swell back up if you give it a couple days. Worth a shot, anyway.

of water right? Problem is i gotta keep opening the lids 2 check on em is that a real bad thing usually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back