Tazzie Blue Tongues in Oz finally !!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
will you be showing these guys on the next episode of blue tongue TV

Nice bluey's Joe,

have a pair myself, had mine about a year now.

Pines

Last edited:
the redness on a cpl of there noggins isnt scarring from male combat ect is it,looks like what ive seen in a few,especially alpines with light head coloring,i still think alpines are the ducks guts in the looks department blotch wise,but some of the lowlands forms are very nice to,i especilly love the pale heads on your new ones joe,that males them look alot different to mainland lowlands color wise,but some tassie stock is identical in appearance to vic,sa lowlands,maybe they are tassies version of the alpine blotch,as some ive seen have a nice yellowish contrast

These guys really are awesome in the flesh, and have a good disposition compared to most other Blotchy's. There were some legally collected from Flinders Island a few years ago to study Rickettsia (spotted fever) found in the ticks they carry. I was lucky enough to be involved in catching these guys, Chappell tigers, Copperheads and even Wombats to remove the ticks for research purposes. From what I can remember a guy in Melb (no names given on here) ended up with them and their offspring after the study was completed. Great to see these guys on the mainland finally. Good luck Joe.

will you be showing these guys on the next episode of blue tongue TV

lol, Yeah will be doing the next episode on Blotcheys with the Tazzies, Alpines & my striped project.

These guys really are awesome in the flesh, and have a good disposition compared to most other Blotchy's. There were some legally collected from Flinders Island a few years ago to study Rickettsia (spotted fever) found in the ticks they carry. I was lucky enough to be involved in catching these guys, Chappell tigers, Copperheads and even Wombats to remove the ticks for research purposes. From what I can remember a guy in Melb (no names given on here) ended up with them and their offspring after the study was completed. Great to see these guys on the mainland finally. Good luck Joe.

Spot on about what they are like in the flesh & you can house males & females with minimal fighting due to their great disposition. They have a few Shingleback traits it seems to me with raised head scales & orangey heads......

Last edited:
DSC02862.jpg
this one tickle your fancy? lol

i like the sound of all this.. its a step forward!
maybe someone read my signature! lol :D

tassie blotch males combat just like mainland ones,just like some mainland ones will get along pretty well in groups to,theres a couple of great articles on tassie blotches in regards to breeding in some recentish issues of herpetofauna,with pics of such male aggression,and mentions they needed to make smaller groups over the mating period

come mating time i guess you ill find out one way or another,blotches are blotches,personalitys vary even in the same type locality

as I said 'minimal' not zero........ breeding time is another story though as with all Skinks.... The females all seem placid aswell more so than Alpines or any of the other Blueys save maybe Centralians....

Last edited:
as I said 'minimal' not zero........ breeding time is another story though as with all Skinks....

Big congrats jinjajoe! glad to see blotchies on the mainland. And it is proof that good things come out of Tas :D hint hint i am tasie :p

sorry joe,was just meaning the mainland ones are the same to in groups,just the odd male niggle come breeding season

no worries...... I made a sweeping statement also....... the joys of expressionless text !!!!!!!!

How do you think they will cope with the heat and humidity of the Banana lands? I've heard that lowland forms dont do well in Sydney whereas the alpines are generally OK, so I'd be interested to see how they adapt.

lol,i see u have juvie pics on your website,are they from one of your lasses?and if u dont mind me asking when were they born,just curious if they drop as late as some of the mainland ones,if they are recent there early compared to my ones,well except bluemountains form,as i got a litter a week ago,each form seems to mate and drop at different times where i am,though can vary with what the seasons like to

How do you think they will cope with the heat and humidity of the Banana lands? I've heard that lowland forms dont do well in Sydney whereas the alpines are generally OK, so I'd be interested to see how they adapt.

time will tell....... all my outdoor Blueys are raised off the ground........ except these guys which are on a coarse grade gravel on the ground.... so they should be ok I reckon !! Hope !! lol

from having lived in brissie bob,for a short stint,id say they will be fine up there,shade them a bit so they can escape the heat,might have to be inventive to get them cool enough to brumate properly if breedings your goal,if alpines can do it,lowlands can to,but they are used to cooler temps so may be need to help that

I think on the ground outside & dry in the winters up here when it drops below 10 degrees with the daytime bask will be perfect & will trigger any breeding response in any Auzzie rep. The summer will be a challenge tho..... I don't think high temps will bother them more the humidity so keeping the enclosure dry will be key. Just my thoughts.

Yes but have been in captivity for a while in a large outdoor enclosure. To collect wild specimens in Tazzie as you probs know has less restrictions than Mainland Aus.

no i didnt know that good on tassie gov good to see someones on right track more in captivity is good for breed and good for our hobby, hope you do well breeding them, are they pricy or have you not got that far yet.

I have babies already......... & more to come with the other gravid females. I'll pass them on to Bluey breeders in groups not as individuals. Probs as swaps for other Skink projects.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back