Thats not a snake, THIS is a snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Retics CAN get over 30 feet long but it has been many many years since anything that size has been sighted. Actually they get sighted all the time often well in excess of 4o feet but oddly enough these animals are never captured or even photographed.

re Thats

They have been found over thirty feet redline but that was a while ago,they are still surprisingly common the retics even in some built up areas.I would here stories from locals in leyte of retics like coconut trees and of one that was seen to cross a road and swim off in the ocean.They would tell of the young pythons in the roofs of houses and the guy that was eaten buy a huge one in the mountains when he went down a track for a pee at a bus stop.The retics in the phillipines looked quite different in pattern to the ones i mostly see on web sites and zoos,beautiful pythons! :)

Yes I like the smaller ones especially Rainbow Boas, it's hard to imagine an animal more beautiful than a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. I love Ball Pythons, they were one of the first python species I kept.

BROWNS said:
It's actually most of the smaller exotic boids i really like like rainbow boas,ball pythons rosy boas etc So what did she actually feed it regularly?

Any other exotic pics boa?

re Thats

Oh well now two answers at same time redline,at least you got to keep some boa thatd be cool,the balinese type sounds interesting :)

Yes I didn't get to actually see any live ones when we were there but they were supposed to be quite common. It sounds bad but I didn't even know they had them on Bali, as a lover of Retics I should have known.

"Daddy, where's my pony gone?"
pmsl!!

cotswold wildlife park here in the UK has a 32ft owned by its head of reptile department (marc ormond) im going up there this weekend & will try to get some pics, i'd only consider one a "timebomb" in the hands of an inexperinced keeper !
amazing to see a snake this size in the flesh! although personally i wouldnt keep anything this big! its not fun trying to use a shovel to pick up its faeces & keep an eye on her or the other retics & annacondas that are in the enclosure with her ! esp when they start showing an interest in what your doing !! Thankfully (for obvious reasons) a minimum of 2 keepers must be present at all times when in the enclosure !

I have seen the Retics at the Cotswold Wildlife Park they are awesome, being my favourite python I am biased. :lol: I would want to see it measured as no snake has been officially measured at 30 feet for a great many years, I would guess in the high 20's. There used to be another monster Retic in another zoo in the UK, it was called Colossus and measured 27feet I think from memory.

we measured them all a few months ago, recorded length was 32 for the female, if i remember correctly the BBC & ITV were there to witness the event, ill see if i can ask for a copy of the raw tape they gave us
If you were still over here you could have bought one of the hatchlings, they are growing at an amazing rate ! usually getting to 10f withing the first year.

Yes I would like to see that, isn't there still a big reward for any snake over 30 feet in length ?

dunno m8 i thought it was 35F , its either that or ive got my measurements all screwed up (im sure she is 32f tho) im just in the process of checkin now, will let you know. :mrgreen:

boa said:
Yes I would like to see that, isn't there still a big reward for any snake over 30 feet in length ?

I think $50K from Bronx? I would love to see/read something about that. Surprised nothing was mentioned here?? I thought "Samantha" was the biggest at around 27-28 before she died?? So 32 is amazing :shock:

ok i may have goofed ! :roll: could have got the 3 & 2 round the wrong way.. :? ..i think shes 23 feet but still growing (no idea why their website says 20 foot tho) how do i put pics in forums ?
theres a pic in my gallery (under moreliaman)
and yes i goofed again... :oops: ...its barney the male thats 23 feet, tikki the female is around 18-19 feet ! and he's gonna do me a copy of the video footage (on disc) if its huge ill burn you a copy & send it over, if not ill just email it, do you have broadband/cable or dial-up ?

Well if it grows another 7 feet it will be worth $50,000 :lol:

Not suggesting another goof :wink: I think it was Bob Clarke who said something along the lines of "if its over 20ft, no need to sex it cos its female"?? Perhaps Barney could be a record breaker already?

hi olive, the way my brains been working latley, it wouldnt surprise me (i think its this below zero british weather affecting me!) however, just checked with marc ormond, barney is 22-23 feet long & 100% male, they are all weighed & measured every year & the next time this happens will be around march. will try and take some pics this weekend.

Hi olive, i asked Bob and he said he'd never say that, because he has males there now over 20ft. jesus....if you want to see nice retics !! have a look at bobs site, amazing, even though they arent the type of snake i'd keep the colors and paterning on some of them is breath-taking ! :shock:

Hi Mark, please put us out of our misery and don't force us to read trhrough every post in this thread to find the URL of Bob's web site referred to above. Ta mate.

bobs site is just here http://www.bobclark.com/ olive got my hopes up then, i though me mate had a record breaking snake !! how cool would that have been eh 8) ! and then bob tells me he allready has males over 20ft ! :? bigger than 23ft too im willing to bet ! on well, back to the grindstone !

if im still here in march ill go to the hamm show and take some pics, then you can have a looksie at our european shows :p

boa said:

I thought it was 40ft?

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back