The 2010 Australian Herpetological Symposium, Cairns, Oct 1, 2, & 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised you'd say that given your penchant for backdrops in photography, of which I'm a fan.

As far as I could ascertain it was an open comp to all styles; naturalistic, artistic, etc..
What would you say had Shannon Plummer won, with her distinctive style?

it is because of the above arguments, that we chose david as the judge, he is professional and would not allow prejudices to impair his judgement in choosing the best image. please read his critique of 24 images in coming issues of S&T where he will explain his assessments.

nonetheless and quite simply, in an open competition, studio, captive or wildlife shots are all acceptable. if a judge held prejudices against studio or artistic styles, the competition would not be fair. for obvious reasons, we have to provide a fair competition.

Hey guys! Just being nosey. Sorry for those that felt that the frilled photo wasn't worthy of winning. I was rather surprised by David's choice, but obviously pleasantly surprised. I've judged several small competitions and it was not easy. I'm excited to take on the task next year and will be contacting David to learn all I can from him.

In a bit of self defense, I don't do anything to my photos that couldn't be done in a dark room with film.

Wondering what everyone's favorite photo of the shortlist was?

Congratulations Royden, I have seen quite a few of your photos - just great. See you in Sydney next year.

Michael Carmak

g'day royden,

no-one at the symposium who watched all the great images on display was overly surprised that you won, it was a sensational photo amongst very good company. there were many images of exceptional quality and it was a shame that there could only be one prize.

It is entirely up to the judge to what he thought deserved to win. Tough luck for who didn't agree....

Thanks for the compliments! I didn't come here fishing for them, really just curious as to how the community was responding to the symposium and the competition.

There were many great shots in the shortlist. That's the reason I was curious as to what people's favorites are. The frilled photo shoot was one of the most difficult shoots I've ever done. It's very rewarding to have them on display.

Hi Royden... welcome to the forum and congratulations on your win. We'll be featuring your fabulous winning photo in the next issue (November) of our magazine, Scales & Tails Australia.

We'll be looking forward to catching up with you at the next Symposium in Sydney next year.

Cheers
Joy

Thanks Joy!

How could I get my hands on a couple copies of November's Issue? I know the owner of the frilled would love a copy, as would I.

I'm sure that can easily be arranged Royden, either Joy or Neil will see this and sort it for you.

Welcome, by the way!

Jamie.

I couldn't help to notice that some people were uneasy about not knowing who organised the symposium - one person in particular (on another forum) seems really stresses about it, worrying that his cheque may have ended up in the wrong hands.

Lets look at it this way - if the Australian Museum, any university or business company announces they are staging a symposium or a conference, would you need to know the name of their CEO or the names of the people organising the event? I don't think so.

The Australian Herpetological Symposium PTY/LTD is a registered company - you can check here: ASIC Free Company Name Search ,so what's the big deal?

Relax, enjoy life and come along to the next year's gig. :D

I just wanted to add to the sentiments of the other attendees. I too attended and had a fabulous weekend. I so very much enjoyed meeting the array of herp lovers from all walk of life. It felt great to be a part of what will hopefully be a must attend yearly event for all those serious about herpetoculture and the love of all things reptile. I'm already looking forward to next years event. See you all in Sydney.

Waterrat how is this relevant to this forum?

There were also some questions asked on this forum as to who are the organisers. I thought this would point them in the right direction.

Because it involves the topic! Anybody that pays for something like this out of his own pocket at the risk of it not being a success gets high marks in my book. A totally unselfish act, not like the other many self serving people I have come across in this hobby. I think some will always find fault in other peoples contributions to this industry. Other comments that I have found interesting has been in regards to the absence of herpetological speakers. If you wanted herpetologists then you should not be keeping reptiles. Herpetologists are usually against the keeping of reptiles in captivity. Some clearly don't realise what the differences are between herpetoculture and herpetology! Most could not stomach 2 solid days of herpetological presentations, people don't realise just how boring scientific presentations are.

Herpetologists are usually against the keeping of reptiles in captivity. Some clearly don't realise what the differences are between herpetoculture and herpetology!

This one is very much a falsey. I know many of the professional herpetologists around Australia and not one that I know is against the keeping of reptiles. I think you'll find many actually have 1 or 2 pet reptiles at home.

There generally are differences between the two, but occasional overlaps also. Herpetoculture is a term used for the captive keeping of reptiles, usually as a hobby or for the pet trade, whilst herpetology is studying the biology, ecology and conservation of reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back