The day before Xmas and egg bound.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This should be a happy time, where snakes are laying eggs and everyone gets excited watching the incubator filling up. But unfortunately our B&W jungle (her first season) is over due for eggs, she popped out 1 healthy egg Saturday night, then she stopped laying.
Its been 41 days since her pre-lay shed, she has already been induced, but unfortunately, that didn't get the eggs out,
she had an ultrasound that showed she had quite large eggs.

Now I'm faced with a problem, the vet is only open today, then their closed for the holidays, and I'm leaving on Boxing day night and won't be back until the 30th.

I'm heading back to the vet at 1:45 today, where the decision has to be made as to what we can do, we have today only to get the eggs out and the decision will more then likely result in her having a c-section :(.

This is becoming very, very stressful.

That's very sad to hear mate. In snakes what's the result of a c section?? Never breed again? Chance of losing her?? Or just sever wallet pain??

Hope it works out for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l have a "sticky" on how to fix this its not for everyone but it works every single time.....cheers

l have a "sticky" on how to fix this its not for everyone but it works every single time.....cheers

Whats the "sticky" called?

- - - Updated - - -

That's very sad to hear mate. In snakes what's the result of a c section?? Never breed again? Chance of losing her?? Or just sever wallet pain??

Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had to have one done before, so I'm not sure, but I think it results in them not being able to breed again. Just about any surgery has a chance of death. I haven't been able to bring myself to ask how much it will cost yet.

Fingers crossed for your Jungle. Let us know how it goes. Do you have someone who can take care of her while you're away?

Ok, the vet changed his mind about the surgery. Because one egg came out and the next egg in line hadn't moved down (this egg is very large compared to the others), we came to the conclusion that the egg was too large and had become stuck.

What he did, was stick the large egg with a syringe and drained the egg, he then used a cropping needle and filled her up with lube, then gave her another dose of oxytocin.

@ solar 17,
I asked him about your method, he said he would have done it, but the eggs are sitting to far up and not moving, he didn't want to risk damaging her.

I do have someone to watch her while I'm away, but hopefully she lays before then.

Last edited:
arrr the suspence! I keep checking this thread at work hoping to read "they have all come out!"
:)

arrr the suspence! I keep checking this thread at work hoping to read "they have all come out!"
:)

How do you think I feel.

To keep stress levels to a minimum for her, I won't be checking on her until the morning, only problem with this, is now my stress levels go up.

Oh god, your poor thing! I hope all goes well for you and hopefully you will wake up to the best Chrismas present of all, a brooding python with a healthy clutch of eggs :)
Sending my best wishes to you and your girl, fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes all crossed for you mate ;)

We are all thinking of you and your girl in this stressful time, every time a new post is written we are all hoping to see some good news for you and your girls sake.
Lots of luck and wishes.

Ok, the vet changed his mind about the surgery. Because one egg came out and the next egg in line hadn't moved down (this egg is very large compared to the others), we came to the conclusion that the egg was too large and had become stuck.

What he did, was stick the large egg with a syringe and drained the egg, he then used a cropping needle and filled her up with lube, then gave her another dose of oxytocin.

@ solar 17,
I asked him about your method, he said he would have done it, but the eggs are sitting to far up and not moving, he didn't want to risk damaging her.

I do have someone to watch her while I'm away, but hopefully she lays before then.

Is she on prophylactic antibiotics as lube is often non sterile and will often introduce bacteria that thrive on any egg contents that have leaked = big issues down the track.

Is she on prophylactic antibiotics as lube is often non sterile and will often introduce bacteria that thrive on any egg contents that have leaked = big issues down the track.

No, he didn't give her any antibiotics. He used a very white coloured lube though, I figured it was some special vet stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back