The Gardeners Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have them here in the wild that flower like mad to it just seems mine doesn't, and hadn't with the previous owner either so I don't think it's mis-care of anykind. Great idea with the real potash I might give that a go. would it be too late to do it now?

I also have a cycas revoluta? and I was wondering if the potash could be applied to this also? I want to find out if it's a male of female.

Thanks for the help I'll promise some pics ;)

Bushfire season started already in November, so now is the right time if any... Try removing the outer leaves too - this might be more realistic of the situation having leaves burnt off - they're hardy plants that can handle this!

Lots of kool info guys, nice to see. I'm not to familiar with anything else that will make a grass tree flower sorry :/ had heard of the burning the stump to get it flowering and as mentioned have seen them not burnt and flowering with multiple stems.

The banana idea is a good one interested to hear of any new ideas you get. I've read if you have a un ripened fruit and you want to speed up the process chuck it in a paper bag with a banana it will do the job.

Sorry not much help on this one.

thanks, yeah when I received it I took all the outer layering off and cleaned it all up, cut off all the dead tips. do they self mulch from the centre or should it be kept well clean? I've been keeping mine clean maybe that's the problem? It gets seasol and recently gave it a shot of powerfeed and seemed to handle it pretty well. I'm always cautious about feeding natives.

I've heard of the banana theory before but don't know enough about it to comment. sounds positive though.

I have heard that putting fruit in a paper bag for a couple weeks with a plant can cause it to flower. It just has to be close enough to flowering size. I would try that method before any other. I just went through the whole thread and I cant believe I have not shared my palms yet.

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

thanks, yeah when I received it I took all the outer layering off and cleaned it all up, cut off all the dead tips. do they self mulch from the centre or should it be kept well clean? I've been keeping mine clean maybe that's the problem? It gets seasol and recently gave it a shot of powerfeed and seemed to handle it pretty well. I'm always cautious about feeding natives.

I've heard of the banana theory before but don't know enough about it to comment. sounds positive though.
That might be part of your problem, feeding them promotes growth, the ones in the bush arn't being fertalized and there flowering.

That might be part of your problem, feeding them promotes growth, the ones in the bush arn't being fertalized and there flowering.
+1 they are getting a specific amount of nutrients. If you figure out the levels of nutrients they are recieveing in the wild you would be able to figure out a fertaliser routine that would best promote flower growth.

I have heard that putting fruit in a paper bag for a couple weeks with a plant can cause it to flower. It just has to be close enough to flowering size. I would try that method before any other. I just went through the whole thread and I cant believe I have not shared my palms yet.

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

What do you call the plant in the last 4 pics? It looks like what is a invasive weed her. the birds eat the red berries and drop them in the bush where it is almost impossible to remove because of its fleshy ryzomie type roots.

What do you call the plant in the last 4 pics? It looks like what is a invasive weed her. the birds eat the red berries and drop them in the bush where it is almost impossible to remove because of its fleshy ryzomie type roots.
I'm not sure what they are. I lost the tags years ago. I think they are a couple different fern species.

Generally called asparagus fern i have ben fighting some for twenty years and dont seem to be winning :cry:

thanks mate but it's been a year since I started using nutes on it ;) and it's looking better for it. it is in a pot so doesn't get the natural refreshment of nutrients available in a wild situation, that's why they need to be replaced. A soil match would also only be relative for a locally sourced plant. I've tried the potash, seems to be handling it well, no spears yet but :lol: My cycas loved it though..

Yes the asparagus fern is quite obnoxious here also.

There are a few things on the last two pages that need correcting or clarifying. Part 1...

Potash is the element potassium (K), which is just behind nitrogen in terms of amount founding plants. The ash remaining from burning plants is often rich in potassium as it does not form gaseous compounds as readily as other major minerals in plants do. Application via a balanced fertiliser in the recommended strength for the given plant species allows for more accurate dosage then ash from a fire.

It is a myth that potassium (or potash) will initiate flowering. It does, however, have many important functions such as water and solute transfer, maintenance of osmotic balance and the activation of a wide range of plant hormones.

Ethylene is a plant hormone. It has numerous functions in the plant body. Mature fruit such as apples, oranges, pears, avocadoes, mangoes and bananas, produce ethylene which causes the fruit to ripen. This is utilised commercially by picking fruit that is mature but not ripe (still green) and holding and transporting then in cold storage – which inhibits ethylene production. This also allows the handling and packing of fruit without bruising it. The fruits are then gassed with ethylene in a sealed room, prior to sale at the market. This provided fruit of relatively even ripeness and therefore less wastage.

Ethylene has been shown to initiate flowering in Bromeliads but has the opposite effect of inhibiting flower production in most plants. I cannot locate a list, unfortunately.

One of ethylene’s effects is that it breaks dormancy. So never store your bulbs in the fridge where they might be directly exposed to apples, pears or other fruit. An air-tight container will ensure they stay dormant.

Blue

thanks for the ethylene info bluetongue, your a treasure trove of information once again.

In regards to the amount of nitrogen/potassium I believe this varies during the plants stages of growth also (depending on species of course where my knowledge tapers off fast). Which is why people generally use NPK nutrients all year round because it is fairly balanced. Fine tuning can be had by increasing nitrogen(N) levels in times of vegetation & higher potassium(K) levels are given flowering plants. the P is actually for phosphorous which they require a little more of during flowering also.

Though where I get lost is different plants requiring different levels.

am I on the right track?

Hey Blue... So did you write the paper from the Tasmanian Government in regards to ethylene?

"Cutting off the leaves produces similar results to fire, as this also initiates flowering. Application of ethylene, which is present in smoke, has a similar effect, indicating that flowering is stimulated via a hormonal response to the removal of leaves."

Potash contains plenty of K... However, the fact of the matter is this wasn't about adding a fertiliser, this was about conditioning - not fertilising. I don't disagree with the fertiliser comment, I disagree with it in this context. The idea was to get the plant flowering not bulk its leaves or reduce necrosis. In this case, the edition of fresh potash would be more welcomed than the edition of a balanced fertiliser.

As for potassium and the myth - I guess there's plenty of documents out there that will produce results suggesting flowering was helped with the application of potassium. Been many years since I did my soils papers, but I do recall various papers suggesting such.

I lived in Carnarvon for six years. They have extensive plantations along the river and produce bananas, mangoes and a heap of winter vegies. So I have been familiar with gassing fruit for nearly 30 years. I am not overly au fait with its other hormonal influences. Potassium I have simply researched as part of my interest in growing olants. It is only in more recent years that some researchers are saying it does not initiate flower production, in contrast to the more widely held view amongst the horticultural community.

Part the reason I suggested fertiliser rather than ash, is that you know what it contains. You could use ash and get a result but it would not necessarily be due to the potassium alone. So maybe do the flip flop – ash this year, straight inorganic potash next year. If you give it more than one treatment, however, there is no control over what causes what, unless you get no flowering.

Blue

EDIT: Just to clarify my use of terminology, ethylene does not initiate flowering in most plants tested i.e. It will not cause most plant without flower buds to produce them. However, it does stimulate maturation of buds and opening of flowers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue, You forgot to add that when you open the banana room`s after they have been gassed, it`s like opening a room full of dirty smelly sock`s. Not a great smell at 3.00am.:(

Sorry, but I was only ever involved at the packing end of the process. But I will say that you have never tasted bananas until you have eaten one ripened on the tree…. really beautiful on the palate and deep fried in beer batter with ice cream = to die for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back