The only good brown snake is a dead brown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zard

Reaction score
this is the words of my vet when i went and dropped of my dead dog for her to bury for me.

After what i have just gone through I almost agree with her.
I dont like venomous snakes and other than adders (because of their beauty) I don't understand people keeping/ breeding them.
Each to their own though.
It is not in my nature to do any animal harm but i must say at the moment i could almost join the shovel brigade. :(

Sorry to hear about your dog. That really blows.

Was it the snake? If so you can't really blame it. Or the dog for being curious.

My Jack bailed up an eastern Tiger last year.

IsK

We certainly have potential here for a hostile thread, so I will jump on early. I like all snakes, and I have dogs aswell, I know that dogs will mess with snakes if they get a chance, its what dogs do. If it is any consolation , your dog probably killed the snake aswell. The only thing to do is make your yard snake proof to eliminate the chance of a showdown. Sad to hear about the pup though.

Ben

I dont like venomous snakes and other than adders (because of their beauty) I don't understand people keeping/ breeding them.
Each to their own though.
It is not in my nature to do any animal harm but i must say at the moment i could almost join the shovel brigade. :(

Are you serious??

If you can see the "beauty" in a Death Adder, why cant you understand that others many see the "beauty" in other Venomous species.

As for why keep them, why do people keep anything?

You will find alot of people keep Venomous fish, they dont seem to be questioned to the same degree though..................

Whilst I'm sorry for what's happened to your dog, it's probably not the brightest idea coming onto a reptile forum and expressing that you hold the snake responsible, and "could almost join the shovel brigade". If a dog killed one of my reptiles, I certainly wouldn't suggest I'd 'almost join' a dog killing parade (especially on a dog forum).

Austy.

I certainly wouldn't suggest I'd 'almost join' a dog killing parade (especially on a dog forum).

but it is acceptable to offer kittens as snake food on a herp site :roll:

What's that got to do with it? Has nothing to do with the topic.

My dog site analogy is relevant, as it is swapping the position of the relevant animals.

I don't think feeding kittens to herps is very appropriate, but that doesn't mean this ridiculous display of anger for the animals which the members of this site love is any more acceptable!

Austy.

re The

Dog runs in front of car is run over,tampers with brown snake gets bitten,all in adays work he will not do it again,buy another dog.

it amuses me how you all automatically assume that my dog in some way was at fault or annoyed the snake.

dont assume anything.

And you assume that it wasn't,

How many snake bites are caused by the snake hunting a dog. . .

You can't say that the dog didn't try to attack or even just play with the snake, snakes are defensive creatures not offensive.

Mods I think this post should be deleted before some hot headed argument and arogance is displayed

it amuses me how you all automatically assume that my dog in some way was at fault or annoyed the snake.

dont assume anything.

It was neither animals fault regardless of the situation the snake was just defending itself from your dog even if the dog didn't even notice it the snake still felt threatened, it just comes down to instincts (jmo).
Sorry about your dogs death :(

Try to keep your grass cut and don't leave any wood piles or rubbish near the house to make it a less suitable environment for snakes in the future. If you kill snakes another will replace it as long as the environment is suitable for them so there is no point.

re The

dont assume anything.
Ok i oppologize zard,so it happened like,you through a stick and the deceased cannine bounded up and grabbed a browny by the head,the old brown snake disguised as a stick trick,gets them every time,an oldy a but a goldy!!

marc i NEVER attacked anyone for keeping other vens.
Please re read my post
I also never said i was going to kill anything you all just read what you wanted to into my post.

why should this be deleted? I have not said anything offensive.

As for the dog, she was on a run, only had a certain amount of space to run around and would not have been able to escape an agressive snake.

Dogs are not native to this country, brown snakes are native to this country, if you want to keep a dog in an area where there are bound to be brown snakes you have to be prepared to have your dog, who is the intruder, be killed by the defensive native animal, and thoughts of revenge against our beautiful native fauna by "joining the shovel brigade" are simply ridiculous.

i feel sorry for you and your dog

i can try and understand how you feel as im sure if my dog was killed by a snake or anything really i would want to kill it as well and if everything was there im sure there would be a good chance that i would automatically kill it without thinking

gilsy it is obvious by that comment you have only experienced snakes in captivity or limited access to them in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back