The only good brown snake is a dead brown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously people, re-read the original post !

Zard, is well measured, composed, non-argumentative, and in a bit of distress about his loss. There is really no reason for everyone to jump all over him.

Sorry for your loss Zard, the world is not a perfect place, and only fairytales have happy endings... Chin up mate.

I for one wouldnt want to kill the snake........

i didnt say i would want to im saying in that situation i probably would

but if i stepped back away and looked at it without the emotions of my loss i wouldnt kill the snake

hope you can understand what i mean

Mate, snakes only bite if they are threated or hungry.

If it bit your dog becuase it was hungry, then your dog would be inside the snake atm, not on the ground..

Obviously it bit your dog in a defensive way,
your dog possibly stood on the snake by accident, and got tagged.
or tried to play with the snake and got taged.

I highly doubt the snake delibritaly wanted to kill your dog.

The main point is it was being DEFENSIVE!!!

If the dog killed the snake as a defensive manner, should we want to kill the dog.

What's that got to do with it? Has nothing to do with the topic.

My dog site analogy is relevant, as it is swapping the position of the relevant animals.
I read their comment as being only half serious....

Sorry to hear about your dog.

The main point is it was being DEFENSIVE!!!

i agree

even if the dog did not touch it it still may have startled the snake which gave it a scare so it automatically struck in defense and the dog may not have been at fault at all but i can also understand it if the dog did attack the snake as a dog i supposed to protect its territory against everything so it would have been in its nature

nothing is really at fault snake struck as a defense and would have if the dog touched it or not ;)

just thankfully it wasnt a young kid or anything else
although at the same time loosing a pet hurts the same as loosing a family member/friend so in a way my comment is not valid :rolleyes:

I run my dogs on our own property and because of where I live I accept the fact that they may accidently step on a snake,my theory of it is that better the dog than me or my kids but in saying that I would be devasted if one died because of a snake bite,but id be far more devasted if it was one of my kids.When we live in the bush we have to be ready to accept all that nature dishes us out.My dogs have learnt that they are going for a run not a hunting trip and now leave everything alone unless they themselves feel threatened, and even then most of the time they will retreat.No animal likes to be attacked and so usually all will avoid being confronted by any would be predator! human included.
Hugs to you for your loss .
Odie

Sorry

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Don't forget the dog is in the run and you would obviously have a water bowl in there too. The snake may have been heading in for a drink from the water bowl and dogs being dogs are inquisitive creatures. Unfortunately it cost him his life.

The best thing you can do is try and snake proof your dog run in some way.

under the same circumstance i would most probably feel like picking up the shovel or the shoty.
sorry to hear about the death of your dog zard.
hope all you conservationists voted green at the last election.
anyway going fishing now.
cheers.:)

Last edited:
Like many reptile enthusiasts, I've had enough elapid venom in my body to kill many people (no, I am not in the slightest bit proud, I'm rather ashamed of it, but that's not relevant to this discussion). Going to hospital with that much elapid venom in you isn't a pleasant experience by any stretch of the imagination; I've experienced extreme pain and lost of the use of limbs for considerable periods of time. It's not fun to lose your sense of taste for a couple of weeks, etc etc, but like the majority of reptile enthusiasts who have been in that situation, I don't for a moment hold any ill will against any elapid. Most of us hope that the elapids which have put us in those situations are still out there living happy and undisturbed snakey lives, and as for bites involving captive snakes, I'm unaware of any cases in Australia where anyone was silly enough to blame the snake. Trees sometimes fall on people, killing them. Shall we rejoice at global deforestation?

I personally don't feel terribly comfortable with someone suggesting that it might be appropriate to kill an animal such as a snake because a dog's owner wasn't careful enough, or was unlucky, but this is probably one of the worst places of all to express your thoughts. If you're going to get upset and be unable to control an inappropriate outburst, please do your best to do it away from people who will be upset and offended by it, or worse still, agree with you and be encouraged to kill snakes (unfortunately, this ideology is contagious). This is an attitude many of us have fought hard to change and we don't need reptile people working against us.

It's incredible (literally) that you could claim not to have said anything offensive. Just look at the title you chose for this thread.

snakes do not attack and chase people or dogs, i have encountered snakes in the bush, almost stepped on some and they have ran, they didnt want to attack, they will only attack if being threatened

hey man i had a jack Russell and he got bitten my a red bellied black and even after all the tears i realised they were both doing wat they were born to do. if u had a petsnake and a dog malled it and killed it u would probs end up hating the type of dog that killed it because u loved ur snake, its the same deal except the other way around i love red bellied blacks i think they are beautiful creatures. (dont take this as a controversy statement)

Sorry about your dog. Hopefully it was fairly painless and quick. The loss of any pet can be tragic and traumatic. Like you said in your original post "each to their own". I completely understand why you feel the way you do at the moment. After a bit of time to grieve you may see things a little bit differently.

Unfortunately as you can see from the responses you won't get much sympathy on here. Many love their pet browns as much as you loved your dog, and would grieve the same if something happened to pet sanke.

Sorry again

both dogs and snakes have done there same amount in killing each other not on perpose but when they come into each others territory and in each others faces someone is going to lose its ashame it was ya dog
but most of the time it is the snake as i have witnessed with my dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back