The Rat Ranch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trippz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals. Just thought id show you some picks of my new rat breeding room. i have a few snakes now so decided it was time to breed my own food. My boyfriend & i built the racks together. Each rack is hooked up to a gravity fed watering system to save me time.I feed & clean them every week & check on them daily. I currently have around 150 females and have plenty of room for more. In the last few weeks the rats have started producing litters.Let me know your thoughts on my design.....cheers crystal

Attachments

• P7111085.jpg
    P7111085.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 528
  • P7121093.jpg
    P7121093.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 567
  • P7191124.jpg
    P7191124.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 763
  • P7261130.jpg
    P7261130.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 508
  • P8061161.jpg
    P8061161.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 674
i have 21 snakes atm, mind u 20 of them are hatchies thats why i need to breed rats. 20 pinkies a week would cost $$$ if i had to buy them from a pet shop.

Well, that explains it you'd need 150 breeding females to produce 20 pinkies a week.

Maybe a little overkill for 20 hatchies:D great setup though, at least you can sell the excess

1 per week? my best mate has snakes too so some will go to feeding her collection. i am lookin at gettin a few more snakes too.

You should average about1 offspring per week per breeding female

Surely you're knocking out more than this Warwick?

When I was breeding, we were producing right on 10 per month per female, with the averages spiking to 13 occassionally.

There is a lot more to breeding rats than simply ratio's and diet. I think a lot of people invest the time and money into breeding large numbers of rodents but limit themselves on their lack of research. Often less tubs that are managed well will produce more young than jamming as many tubs as you can into a shed and just concentrating on the number of females you can have dropping litters.

Jonno not all of the fems are of breeding age. i make sure all the rats have room to move & play. These racks are for when they give birth & raise their young.

what size tubs are you using and how much and where did u get the tubs? im currently looking at expanding due to sell localy, have 20 tubs on the go atm, looking to go another 30, rat priecs here are rediculous. $30 for a jumbo, pfft.

your going to notice you are going to go threw ALOT of food to jsut feed 20 hatchies tho.
i pay $10 for a 10kg bag of rat pellets.
i go threw about 60kg a month

and also where did you get your gravity water feeders from

leighroy i bought a tonne of food works out $1.04 a kg atm i the rats are using 20 kgs a week so its cheaper in the long run for me to breed. i enjoy looking after my rats so its not a chore for me. i bought my valves from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back