They call me Bredl, James Bredl.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i've got some fake silk plants, the exo terra ones that look like marijuana leaves, btu i'm contemplating whether to use them or not. It was a mixed up order, so I got stuck with the fakies that look like pot :p

hahaha it will be a very chilled out snake?

not sure what else you could in there. If you want to spend more money, you could buy some deserty looking plants??

Are these guys generally active at night? Or is this just indication that my girl is hungry?

I plan on feeding her tonight (in a seperate tub), so how long after the feed should I move her back to her enclosure?

Mine is really active at night, Buzzing all over the tank. And I feed her once a week. Most snakes are noctornal anyway.

If you put the tub (if it fits) into the tank, let her make her own way back in, or just gently tip it near the entrance and hopefully she will go in.

failing that wait maybe 5 mins after swallowing, then gently pick her up and place her in.

Beautiful bredli MannyM, congratulations!
I've had my little girl for nearly a year now and she hides all day nearly everyday (when I'm home to see at least), and is all over the place at night, I'd say its normal.
After feeding, use hooks at front and back of snake, not near the lump, and she should be right :D

Hi guys, I just tried getting her into the feeding tub, but she wouldn't have a bar of it. She even struck at me a few times. I was using a hook, so she didnt' tag me, but i'm hesitant to actually touch her now to put her in the tub because she's so defensive.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what i can do here.

Well, last night didn't go as well as i'd hoped. I planned to get her out using my hook, handle her for a bit, then place her in a little feeding tub till she fed, then pop her back in to her enclosure.

What really happened, after not having a bar of me wanting to get her out (s-pose heaven), she actually struck at me a number of times (didn't tag me), so I just let her be, and put the fuzzy in her enclosure. She ate it (despite me having to basically place it right in front of her), and then went back into defensive mode.

Later on in the night, before I went to bed, I managed to get her out with the hook while she was on the prowl, and handled her for the second time. She was ok, but got a little agitated after a few minutes.

She's just so damn feisty. I don't know how to handle her to be honest.

Hi, another question here.

As a bub, is she better off getting fed more often, as in 1 fuzzy every 5 days? Or should I just stick to a week between feeds?

at night time i think u should use a different heat eliment than that big bright day light bulb as night time should be night not day...thats just my opinion :wink:

alby said:
at night time i think u should use a different heat eliment than that big bright day light bulb as night time should be night not day...thats just my opinion :wink:

eh?

I never said I was using a day light bulb to heat the enclosure at night. The heating is on a 10 hour cycle, using automatic timers.

crackers said:
once a week should be fine ( they dont get that sort of guarantee feed in the wild )
keep handling her..... she'll calm down :twisted:

Ok then.

Oh, and I have been handling her, and she has calmed down, so i'm happy about that.

MannyM said:
She ate it (despite me having to basically place it right in front of her), and then went back into defensive mode.

Later on in the night, before I went to bed, I managed to get her out with the hook while she was on the prowl, and handled her for the second time. She was ok, but got a little agitated after a few minutes.

I feed mine 1 fuzzy every seven days, its keeps her keen enough, without being starving.

And don't handle her until at least 3 days after eating.

I think I'm lucky, my new baby is perfect, I get her out of the tank with my hand (I place it over her like a hide, and she just sits there), no worries. I was on the computer last night, and she just sat still on my hand for baout 15 minutes.

But I agree with alby, get a much dimmer light. And just keep at it! If it tags you, it's not the end of the world, just try and get it out every day, or every other day (prepare for the flames!) just for 5 mins or so. Eventually she will learn you aren't going to eat her!!

keep at it dude :)

I just read the bit about the light, sorry :)

So does it turn off at night??

Manny, i am a newbie to this whole snake scene myself. Did you look into getting a coastal carpet? Why did you choose this particular snake? And may i ask how much you bought him for? PM if need be.

thanks

nice bredli. what i did to calm my little fella was to handle him(espcially outside he seemed to be less agro when outside in the sun), then to use a variation of the cupped hand method. b/c my guy was too big for that i would pull my shirt up and over him and once he had curled up place my hand gently over him(not putting very much if any weight on him). just to get him to associate your scent with being warm and safe. Also to help you be able to take him out with your bare hands every time your going to take him out stroke him with the end of your snake hook(in my case a bent coat hanger). this makes him associate being stroked with metal and being picked up.

atm my bredli is at the stage where i can take him out with my bare hands without stroking him i just move in slowly make sure hes smelled me then i pick him up.

also it is my personal idea that washing your hands before handling shoudl only be done if you have been handling anything that could be considered prey or predator scents. replacing your normal smell with the smell of soap is just stupid IMO.

andrew

NinaPeas said:
I just read the bit about the light, sorry :)

So does it turn off at night??

Yep, comes on at 7am, off at 9pm. Although i'm going to drop it to 8pm because of winter.

DrOsteo said:
Manny, i am a newbie to this whole snake scene myself. Did you look into getting a coastal carpet? Why did you choose this particular snake? And may i ask how much you bought him for? PM if need be.

thanks

I don't mind coastals, but my choice was bredli because I loved how hypos looked, and I had heard some great testimonials from previous Bredli owners. I paid $500 for her all up, a good price for a hypo.

SLACkra said:
nice bredli. what i did to calm my little fella was to handle him(espcially outside he seemed to be less agro when outside in the sun), then to use a variation of the cupped hand method. b/c my guy was too big for that i would pull my shirt up and over him and once he had curled up place my hand gently over him(not putting very much if any weight on him). just to get him to associate your scent with being warm and safe. Also to help you be able to take him out with your bare hands every time your going to take him out stroke him with the end of your snake hook(in my case a bent coat hanger). this makes him associate being stroked with metal and being picked up.

atm my bredli is at the stage where i can take him out with my bare hands without stroking him i just move in slowly make sure hes smelled me then i pick him up.

also it is my personal idea that washing your hands before handling shoudl only be done if you have been handling anything that could be considered prey or predator scents. replacing your normal smell with the smell of soap is just stupid IMO.

andrew

Thanks for the tips, i'll try it out. She's actually calming down more and more and is becoming quite easy to handle. She's easily startled, so does tend to go into the S strike when i initially 'bug' her, but once she's out she's quite alright. Very sensitive to touch though, and reacts accordingly, but is becoming more and more calmer in my hands.

I'm also of the opinion that hands shouldn't always be squeaky clean prior to handling, only because you can lose your scent which you want your python to associate with.

She's certainly not as placid as Nina's (LUCKY!), but she's getting better.

probably cause I harrass mine every 10 minutes hahaha, she's just resigned to the fact :)

More pics!

This time of her feeding what I thought would be something she wouldn't handle...

Bredli%2012.jpg

Bredli%2013.jpg

Bredli%2014.jpg

Bredli%2015.jpg

Bredli%2016.jpg

Bredli%2017.jpg

Bredli%2018.jpg

Nice little bredli MannyM, it'll grow docile regardless of how often you handle it most likely. Yeah it's good when they can eat an adult mouse, and better when they eat an adult rat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back