They call me Bredl, James Bredl.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She sheds! Finally

Hey everyone, after almost a week since first since of cloudy eyes, Cleopatra finally shed... on my hand no less. Yes, I was handling her pre-feed (since she rejected her rat pup yesterday), when she decided to do some truly awkward snout rubbing on my fingers. I thought she was ready for a snack, but loe and behold... shed!

I still don't get my camera, the focus is all over the place at times, so apologies for some crappy shots.

Bredli%2019.jpg

So it begins. Look closely at her snout and you can see a bit of her skin peeling back.

Bredli%2020.jpg

She then decided to yawn (although it looks like she's ready to dine), and i'm SO miffed that the focus was out.

Bredli%2021.jpg

More movement and rubbing

Bredli%2022.jpg

Finally, a clear shot

Bredli%2023.jpg

Halfway there

Bredli%2024.jpg

Without flash to try out colour difference

Bredli%2025.jpg

Nearly done

Bredli%2026.jpg

FIN~ She really brightened up as you can probably see. More red in her colour... looking great in comparison to pre shed.

Bredli%2027.jpg

Bit of motion blur... makes her look half striped. I thought it was a cool shot.

Bredli%2028.jpg

Who's looking at you, kid.

Bredli%2029.jpg

Bredli%2030.jpg

Made it in one piece.

There you have it.

Wow, cool pics Manny, i just took pics of mine eating for the first time. I cant wait for him to shed for the first time, i look forward to it! :p

tha't an awesome series of shots! You've got to be lucky to catch them in the act, but t be holding them at the same time that's a different story :D

You have no idea how ecstatic I was for it to be happening. I was hoping I wouldn't miss it... didn't think i'd be part of the act.

Wow! that's great when my snake is sheding and i don't know cause she's in hide and i go to get her out she get's up so fast and then when i see she's shedding i leave her but she is very fast to get defensive when she's shedding and you accually got too hold her that's awesome! and a great looking snake might i add!
and i have never even seen mine in the act!

She's usually a bitey little thing, but last night she was an angel, pre and post shed. Then she ate a big fat mouse and got all defensive again. :p

How come I can't see any of Manny's pics? They are just white squares with a red cross in the middle of them!

garthnfay try refreshing the page whenever that hapens. might fix it.

nice series of shots, that must have been an interesting feelign having a snake shed in your hands.

andrew

GARTHNFAY said:
How come I can't see any of Manny's pics? They are just white squares with a red cross in the middle of them!

Hmm, they should be fine. They're on a personal hosting space with no viewing limit.

Nice hypo . Very nice . I have 2 red Bredl's that i got from Roy Pails . I've got my fingers crossed they turn out as red as their relatives .

Manny, I'm happy for you mate, great snake, great story and GREAT pics. You ought to consider taking your talents further (Mr. Attenborough).
Thanks for sharing all this with us, it certainly makes me feel comfortable about going back to herping.

Best regards Paul

Haydz said:
is he a bit snappy

Oh yes. She's slowly calming down, and is completely placid when in your hands, but there are often times where you walk past her tank at night, and she's striking like nobody's business. She's got moxy, that's for sure, and isn't afraid of anything. I once came home one night, and she was sleeping under her branch, with just her tail sticking out, so I went and touched it... hoo boy... instead of just tucking her tail in, she came out as quickly as possible to take out whatever it was that was messing with her tail. She's a character.

C'baoth said:
Nice hypo . Very nice . I have 2 red Bredl's that i got from Roy Pails . I've got my fingers crossed they turn out as red as their relatives .

Thanks. Yeah, Roy has some great specimens, and i'm thinking about getting a hypo from him next year to breed with Cleo when they get older (she's one of Indicus').

mciver said:
Manny, I'm happy for you mate, great snake, great story and GREAT pics. You ought to consider taking your talents further (Mr. Attenborough).
Thanks for sharing all this with us, it certainly makes me feel comfortable about going back to herping.

Best regards Paul

Thanks mate. I try to do the best with this damn camera, but i'm yet to really know the best settings for the right occasion, so I supplement that with craploads of pics to pick and choose from.

Good to hear you've decided to jump back into herping though, it's a great hobby. I'll continue to keep this thread updated... as a blog of sorts I guess.

What kind of snake is getting you back into herping though mate? I'm sure I asked that before, but i'm not sure which thread. :p

Snake choice

Hi Manny,

I hadn't actually gotten round to sorting out a short list to date. Iv'e been reading heaps on the site to try and gauge the "right begginners snake".

I mean as far as wish lists go there's no problem. But in reality it will come down to dollars for now. And that's not a bug bear as such, because I feel any snake is a good snake.

So it will probably be a Coastal, with a Bredli close second (them I really like) followed by a Murray darling. The ultimate reality will be that I will need to find more work to support my habit. As you say it won't be long before one gets persuaded to turn up the wick on one's collection.

Part of the reason I have waited so long to regain the hobby is the fact that I don't usually do things by halves and I knew where I would probably end up. Snakebound!
The other reason though is my two kids, they are real animal lovers and they particularly like snakes. I'd like to bring them up to not fear snakes and to respect them for the many things that they are.

Best regards
Paul

Snake choice

mciver said:
Hi Manny,

I hadn't actually gotten round to sorting out a short list to date. Iv'e been reading heaps on the site to try and gauge the "right begginners snake".

I mean as far as wish lists go there's no problem. But in reality it will come down to dollars for now. And that's not a bug bear as such, because I feel any snake is a good snake.

So it will probably be a Coastal, with a Bredli close second (them I really like) followed by a Murray darling. The ultimate reality will be that I will need to find more work to support my habit. As you say it won't be long before one gets persuaded to turn up the wick on one's collection.

Part of the reason I have waited so long to regain the hobby is the fact that I don't usually do things by halves and I knew where I would probably end up. Snakebound!
The other reason though is my two kids, they are real animal lovers and they particularly like snakes. I'd like to bring them up to not fear snakes and to respect them for the many things that they are.

Best regards
Paul

You're a thinker you are. Good choice with the coastal, you can get some fantastic looking specimens. Obviously i'm a fan of the Bredli's so can't recommend them enough.

Went in to Kellyville pets the other day, and saw this Zulu fish tank ornament which I thought would go excellent in Cleo's tank... so I bought it.

Suffice to say, I think she's happy with it.

Bredli%2031.jpg

Bredli%2032.jpg

Tried feeding her another rat pup on Monday, no dice, she just sniffed it and let it be. I even mushed its head a little to get some smell going... nothing. Then I gave her a hopper mouse yesterday, and for the first time ever, she struck and coiled it in one hit. She's usually so complacent about eating, so it surprised the hell out of me.

Also, I was handling her last weekend, having her wander around me left hand while I was on the computer, and as I was typing something, I subconciously felt that she had stopped moving and glanced at her just in time to see her in 's-mode' towards my hand that was typing. Managed to pull her just out of the way as she struck, narrowly missing my hand. Crazy little thing.

Such a beautiful looking snake..it looks like it's getting bigger too!
i sometimes hold my snakes when typing but...they don't care!

Yep, she's definitely getting a lot thicker, especially around the waist, but I don't tell her that in case she gets self concious and stops eating ;)

She's been ok in the past, but this time she was obviously put off by it. I thought it was funny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back