Thicktail enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nico77

Reaction score
I have 1 piece of my mates old kitchen left that is to small for a snake enclosure so i have decided to make it into a gecko enclosure . Heres a few pics of where im up to , any suggestions would be great .

cheers nico

gecko enclosure.jpg

I have made a tunnel going from 1 side to the other so it can be used as 1 or 2 enclosures
tunnel.jpg

pipe.jpg

Some hides , the 1 with the hole will have a container in there for egg laying
hide.jpg

hide1.jpg

hide2.jpg

Having a go at making some vines with pva glue and coco peat , trying with garden hose and rope , they both have wire in them to make them shapable
vines.jpg

vines1.jpg

vine2.jpg

Looking good so far nico!
What do you have in mind for lighting?
I am hoping to pick up some Thick tails for myself within the fortnight. So I will be stealing all your good ideas ;D

The foam is the start of the rock wall , the cabnet was open and i added the divider and have siliconed the foam to the sides . Im out of silicone so for now i will start cutting out some rocks and ledges so they are ready to go when i get some more .
I want to have a look for cabnet lights or small down light but i might still just use a heat matt under the sand and LED's for lighting or the other idea was a low wattage party bulb in 1 side and nothing in the other side . At the moment they are in a small fish tank on top of a snake enclosure so there heat is only coming from the light below there tank .

cheers nico

Here's a few photos i took at mount glorious , im going to use them as a guide for the rock wall and with any luck i will be able to get it to look similar to the pics :)

P7240399.jpg

P7240385.jpg

P7240400.jpg

P7240375.jpg

P7240398.jpg

P7240407.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea with the photos, just remember they are a reference. So don't be too disappointed if you cannot fully replicate it (speaking from experience).
Those fungal growths would make great looking ledges!
How deep are you planning for substrate?

The substrate will go to about the bottom of the pipe that joins the 2 sides . I find it easyer with some photos to get the basic shapes and colours otherwise i just sit there staring for hours wondering what to do :)
I have carved a few pieces of fungus , im just deciding if i should make and paint them before i stick them in or stick them in then paint it . I'll add some more pics soon .

cheers Nico

Heres the bits pinned in place , now i can start sikaflexing them on , ill try and do that tonight so i can start melting tomorrow .

P8090216.jpg

P8090217.jpg

I had some left over expandy foam after another rock wall i made so i sprayed the left overs onto a piece of foam and have sliced bits of to use as rocks .

P8090215.jpg

Last edited:
I used a lighter to melt the flat surfaces
melted.jpg

first coat , mortar and 50/50 mix of water and pva glue
leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back