This is what can happen feeding live to snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor snake. Some people make me mad. Should the person selling the live rats be held partly responsible?

It is my understanding after reading articles that live feeding has it's reasons. It is natural, it happens in the wild, but in captivity it's not neccesary.

The freezing process removes certain vitamins and nutritional benefits that live feeding gives. It is therefore recommended that a vitamin supplement be given to frozen fed snakes now and then to replace what is lost.

There are also those who feed raw chicken pieces and such. Snakes need the fur, tails and roughage material as part of their diet and digestional process.

Feeding live mice is not so much a problem as live rats. Rats are bigger and smarter animals that will defend themselves against predators as much as they can.

KingSirloin, live mice are just as nasty as rats. Live mice will spend hours sitting on top of a snakes head, gnawing the snakes nose off. It will also gnaw at the snakes tail until it has eaten it down to the bone. At this time all the snake does is flinch and try to shove the rodent off it. The mouse just climbs back on.

My main problem with feeding live is that wild pythons usually plan their attack on prey. They have found their ambush position and are aware of their surroundings. They cant often do this in the confines of an enclosure.

In captivity it is different. Usually an irresponsible keeper justs drops a live rodent into the enclosure for the snake. The snake has no real time to think about things. It just has to grab the rodent quickly (if it wants it). Most times the snake is just resting when this happens, and isn't at it's preferred body temperature. This can lead to an inaccurate strike, grabbing the rodent on it's hindquarters. This can allow the rodent to turn around and bite the snake on or around it's head. One good bite in the right place, and the snake is dead.

The freezing process removes certain vitamins and nutritional benefits that live feeding gives. It is therefore recommended that a vitamin supplement be given to frozen fed snakes now and then to replace what is lost.
Rubbish. Can you show me a proper scientific article that says that?

FWIW, I have heard that feeding PYTHONS live food is illegal in Australia. You can feed elapids or colubrids live, if "necessary".
Also, the freezing process destroys/kills off any "nasties" the rodents carry.
Best,
Carolyn

i do believe it is not illegal to feed live... personally i have fed live when i have had to... such as when i have rescued elapids... now for any one else out there that works with rehabilitated elapids they wont always take frozen... but at the same time i only do it under feeding supervision,, and the food is often only small, i do se the harsh sides feeding live animals but at the same time when i deal with the snakes i do with some of the issues they have had i would try any thing... but at the same time with my "pets" i will only feed frozen as i do not see it necessary to feed live, as there is the risk of damage on the snake on captive snakes, and some will disagree but some captive bred snakes will lose their natural hunting tendacies and this becomes to much of a risk feeding live.

what alot dont seem to get is in the wild ,a snake is waiting in ambush for a rodent to pass by or goes on a scent hunt to find dinner so the snake is actually hungry at the time ...if its not hungry it wouldnt be bothered by a rodent going past nor be out looking for a feed, they dont eat just for the sake of it ...
in captivity if they are hungry and a live one is thrown in well you may get a instant strike and ambush situation hence in a dead rat/mouse and a snake no longer hungry ...but as most know not every feed time do our snakes eat ,even if we think they should be hungry ,so when feeding dead rodents ,we are able to place in the enclosure and leave it to feed on later or take out in morning if not eaten ...with no risk to our snakes ,,,BUT if its a live one and this situation arises, the often outcome is what is on the poster ...DONT DO IT ...and try and discourage others from doing it if you can ..

,so when feeding dead rodents ,we are able to place in the enclosure and leave it to feed on later or take out in morning if not eaten ...with no risk to our snakes ,,,BUT if its a live one and this situation arises, the often outcome is what is on the poster ...DONT DO IT ...and try and discourage others from doing it if you can ..
agreed, if you dont need to feed live and are not aware of what can happen...There really is no need to do it.

hey i made this one night when i was bored. i work at a pet shop and plan to put it up in the shop.

Attachments

• dont feed snakes live rodents.jpg
    dont feed snakes live rodents.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 122
As I stated, I have read this in published reptile articles, not just relaying someone's belief.
Yes, and I asked if you could show me it please. Give me the name, published date etc so I can look it up. The veterinary library at uni has a great article base.

Rubbish. Can you show me a proper scientific article that says that?

Freezing does cause some vitamin depletion, im sure there would be plenty of scientific papers on the subject. I dont know of any evidence to suggest freezing for a short period would cause problems to snakes if they dont have vitamin supplements(except with fish). Still no need to feed live for the food to be fresh.

Freezing does cause some vitamin depletion, im sure there would be plenty of scientific papers on the subject. I dont know of any evidence to suggest freezing for a short period would cause problems to snakes if they dont have vitamin supplements(except with fish). Still no need to feed live for the food to be fresh.
"[SIZE=-2]Earlier in this article, we touched on loss of vitamins, minerals and nutrients during the freezing process. But we did not mention that the length of time spent in the freezer can increase these losses, not to mention cause freezer burn. It is recommended that you obtain the freshest frozen rodents possible. Making the assumption that your store has provided fresh ones can be a mistake, they may have been in the back of their freezer for months (or worse). Many commercial sources for frozen rodents will date each package with the date frozen, a real help in determining freshness."

- The Learning Center - Live (F/K) vs Frozen (F/t)
[/SIZE]

That's disgusting, why on earth would anyone who owns a reptile do something so stupid? I know some people don't realise the dangers, but surely they could question it when they buy or get one. I can't stand idiots who do such idiotic things.
If the guy who doesn't handle his snake is too afraid he should get rid of it to someone who cares and can treat it properly

The breeder who sold me my first snake pointed that out when he provided me with her next meal:D

Poor snake. Some people make me mad. Should the person selling the live rats be held partly responsible?

They (rat supplier) proberbly don't know what they are for, or maybe the owner bred the rats.

KingSirloin, live mice are just as nasty as rats. Live mice will spend hours sitting on top of a snakes head, gnawing the snakes nose off. It will also gnaw at the snakes tail until it has eaten it down to the bone. At this time all the snake does is flinch and try to shove the rodent off it. The mouse just climbs back on.

True, just a size thing, the mouse would look like a rat to a hatchie, oh wait are we talking about large snakes trying to catch a lil mouse:rolleyes:

My main problem with feeding live is that wild pythons usually plan their attack on prey. They have found their ambush position and are aware of their surroundings. They cant often do this in the confines of an enclosure.

What enclosures arn't natural?!:shock:;);)

what alot dont seem to get is in the wild ,a snake is waiting in ambush for a rodent to pass by or goes on a scent hunt to find dinner so the snake is actually hungry at the time ...if its not hungry it wouldnt be bothered by a rodent going past nor be out looking for a feed, they dont eat just for the sake of it ...
in captivity if they are hungry and a live one is thrown in well you may get a instant strike and ambush situation hence in a dead rat/mouse and a snake no longer hungry ...but as most know not every feed time do our snakes eat ,even if we think they should be hungry ,so when feeding dead rodents ,we are able to place in the enclosure and leave it to feed on later or take out in morning if not eaten ...with no risk to our snakes ,,,BUT if its a live one and this situation arises, the often outcome is what is on the poster ...DONT DO IT ...and try and discourage others from doing it if you can ..

I know a couple people who feed live. One because they think it is natural:rolleyes: and another has more than one snake but feeds one live because won't eat anything else. Both montior feeds and say if they dont take it in five minutes then they proberbly wont so they take it out. Not nice to watch imo, and those are right about the grabbing at hind quaters, they arnt real picky about where they grab them.

I used to feed fresh killed, and still would if I didn't have pre-killed stuff currently available to me. Mammals are smarter than reptiles and react as such. I've seen the intuition of a captive-bred mouse when confronted by a tiger snake (not something I wouldn't do personally so no flaming please :lol:) and was amazed at the caution the mouse displayed when the two met. Clearly that inbred fear and knowledge gives the rodent enough warning to get it defensive. A defensive animal is a dangerous animal, be it a mouse or an elephant. When something is in fear of its life, it'll protect itself any way it can! The message is simple: Don't feed live!

I used to feed fresh killed, and still would if I didn't have pre-killed stuff currently available to me. Mammals are smarter than reptiles and react as such. I've seen the intuition of a captive-bred mouse when confronted by a tiger snake (not something I wouldn't do personally so no flaming please :lol:) and was amazed at the caution the mouse displayed when the two met. Clearly that inbred fear and knowledge gives the rodent enough warning to get it defensive. A defensive animal is a dangerous animal, be it a mouse or an elephant. When something is in fear of its life, it'll protect itself any way it can! The message is simple: Don't feed live!
I still feed fresh killed ,my snakes are not keen on frozen thawed...and where I live ,half the time the local petshops dont have any frozen in stock or they keep the smaller rodents like pinks and fuzz way to small for my reps ...;)

Hmm very interesting cheers guys. Might look up to see if I can find some actual scientific stuff, not just online business.. Still, I doubt snakes require vitamin supplementation? We all know old snakes that have been fed frozen their whole life with no supplements and are just fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back