Ticks on dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danw

Reaction score
Hi guys I was up at my friends holiday house in the bush near Gosford and I found a water dragon and I caught it and it had lots of ticks (seven that we got off). So I pulled them out(very carefully) and was just wondering would the ticks have killed the lizard?

Most lizards can handle having a few ticks on them, but large numbers can often paralyze a host lizard. This may depend on the species of tick, though. Also, you have to be careful that the ticks head doesnt remain embedded in the lizard when you remove the ticks.

ah k cool thanks...yeah made sure the heads came out

Dabbing the ticks body with a strong ethanol solution often helps them to losen off a little and makes it easier to get them off, (with their heads) after a few minutes.

I've never heard of tick infested dragons before, even during a small outbreak in my pit none of my beardies had any. i've also caught heaps of jacky dragons, tickless, yet within meters of a clean Jacky was a shingleback full of them, i ended up getting sunburnt for about 40mins trying to remove them all. Possibly because stumpies 'roam' more and have more chance of running into ticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back