Time for Sand (and cuddles)?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss.Hiss

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, Hiccup is growing up fast! He is now approx 13cm long and his markings are getting darker and more striking (he's still totally cute, as if a CND could be anything other :D)

My question is, now that he is a little bigger, do you think it's safe to put sand in as a substrate?
I was told sand was a bad option when they are hatchlings/small as they are more likely to ingest it and die. Hiccup has (non-hook) marine carpet atm which is fantastic stuff, but I would like to give him sand eventually because it is his natural substrate and that way he can burrow:) if sand is 'a.ok', then what type would you recommend?

Also, he is still a little jittery around me and isn't too fussed on being picked up (I'm very gentle, and don't try to handle him constantly in fear of stressing him). Do you know any ways that might help me to entice him to 'tolerate' me? :p I would really like to hold him and give him a 'cuddle' without fear of him jumping like mad across the living room!

Ok, that's it from me, Hiccup, and Zeppelin - thanks y'all!

oops sorry! He's a Central Netted Dragon (CND)

Hehe, that helps! As for handling, I always lay down on my bed, so that when my flightly little dragon takes a leap he's landing on the bed. Don't worry about their flighty nature when they're so young - I know (with beardeds at least) they settle with age and all juvies are a bit jumpy.

Sorry that's all the advice I have but I'm not too sure about the other questions... anyway, best of luck! :)

hey hiss miss, welcome to APS, he will be fine to put the sand in, get some washed playpit sand from bunnings, 20kg bag for $7.50
It is normally damp when you open it, but thats ok, build one end up and he will dig holes and burrow.
Did you know that they love to be with other netteds, although they can fight if u have 2 males. Get some more, i am sure he is lonely.
post some pics when you can

Thanks LadyJ and Bigi, some great advice there!! :D

Bigi, that's good about the sand - I should be able to grab some over the weekend! Should I keep the marine carpet in there and place the sand on top or no? (He has a heat mat under the marine carpet down one end atm)

I had heard that they can be very social (love it!), but I was worried if I put 2 in together they might turn out to be boys before I realise what gender they are and fight! Another one would be great though, I'll have to start looking into it!:D

Pics are a'comin - I'll put them in my photo album, stay tuned!!

Hey miss, nice pics he is a cutie.
I dont use heat mats, not sure you should have it in direct contact with the marine carpet and you definately do not need the carpet below the sand,
if yo want to continue with the heat mat, place it outside under the enclosure with a gap so its not directly touching the enclosure. They have a habit of burning out.
If you get one the same size you will be ok for them together for a while, until sexed, even the females fight amongst themselves

Thanks Bigi!
With the heat mat, when I bought it at the reptile expo (sooo good!) I went hunting for one that would be ok in the vivarium etc and the men from the 'Reptile Shop' assured me it was fine with the marine carpet (they actually were the ones to suggest marine carpet to me), so I'm hoping it's ok :)
I'm planning to visit Petbarn this weekend to get my sand - always love a trip to the pet shop for supplies:D
gosh even the females fight? What is the world coming to? :p I'll keep my eye out for breeders.

I'm at uni atm (shhh if anyone asks, I'm not on the net, I'm looking at lecture slides!!), when I get home I'll hook the camera up and upload the recent photos of Hiccup - he is so big now, it's just amazing how fast they can grow!

Thanks for all your help Bigi, so great to have a place like this to talk to ppl who know their stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back