Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croc_hunter_penny

Reaction score
Dean and I went out fishing last night (didn't catch a thing! :lol: ) and as I was walking along the shoreline I came across this little guy :)

turtle01.jpg

paddling around in the murky low tide water, this little guy was smaller than a 50c piece!
turtle02.jpg

turtle03.jpg

turtle04.jpg

turtle05.jpg

turtle06.jpg

turtle07.jpg

turtle08.jpg

turtle09.jpg

turtle10.jpg

aww just look at that face! I have no idea about turtles so I don't know what kind it is.
We were out Ipswich way somewhere, I wasn't really paying attention to where Dean was whisking me away to :p

I also spotted this frogmouth (i think) on the way out, but by the time we stopped to take a photo it flew a bit further away, and so the pic is a bit dodgy, sorry :?
(might just be Dean's lack of photography skills :lol: )

tawny.jpg

enjoy :)

-Penny

sweet penny you found a penny turtle hahaha jokes ( and i no thiers no penny turtles)

Arnt they so cute when they are little!
Thats not very old at all, still has its egg tooth at the front :)

You can see his little egg tooth! That turtle is without doubt the cutest thing I've ever seen.

G'day Penny, I'm guessing that little fella hatched that night or the night before. By the looks of things you guys were at Colleges Crossing, a very common area for freshwater turtles. I have caught several over the years there, after they decided to take my bait :(

We went fishing at Kookaburra Park on Saturday night, which is just down the road, and caught mud crabs and cat fish. One other bloke who was far more serious than us caught a 60cm Bull shark, which are common where you were.

Yeah I've caught one shark off Kookaburra Park and a few catties at Colleges.

sweet penny you found a penny turtle hahaha jokes
:lol::lol:

G'day Penny, I'm guessing that little fella hatched that night or the night before. By the looks of things you guys were at Colleges Crossing, a very common area for freshwater turtles. I have caught several over the years there, after they decided to take my bait :(

We went fishing at Kookaburra Park on Saturday night, which is just down the road, and caught mud crabs and cat fish. One other bloke who was far more serious than us caught a 60cm Bull shark, which are common where you were.
:shock: bummer, we barely got a nibble! next time i'm going fishing with you :D

You can see his little egg tooth! That turtle is without doubt the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I know! so adorable, might have to add them to the list of herps I want :lol:

Awww what a little cutie :) .. i love the last turtle pic !!!!!

Dean and I went out fishing last night (didn't catch a thing! :lol: ) and as I was walking along the shoreline I came across this little guy :)

turtle01.jpg

paddling around in the murky low tide water, this little guy was smaller than a 50c piece!
turtle02.jpg

turtle03.jpg

turtle04.jpg

turtle05.jpg

turtle06.jpg

turtle07.jpg

turtle08.jpg

turtle09.jpg

turtle10.jpg

aww just look at that face! I have no idea about turtles so I don't know what kind it is.
We were out Ipswich way somewhere, I wasn't really paying attention to where Dean was whisking me away to :p

I also spotted this frogmouth (i think) on the way out, but by the time we stopped to take a photo it flew a bit further away, and so the pic is a bit dodgy, sorry :?
(might just be Dean's lack of photography skills :lol: )

tawny.jpg

enjoy :)

-Penny

Hi Penny,

It is definitely not a Saw-shelled turtle. It may be a hybrid or even new species. It looks like Wollumbinia belli.
You may have just increased the range of the endangered Bell's turtle or even discovered a new species.

If there is any chance you can find that turtle again? If so, any chance of donating it to the Australian Freshwater Turtle Conservation & Research Association so I can key it out, take photo's and if necessary write a paper on it.
BTW, I am allowed to take any turtle I suspect of being a new species for I.D. anywhere in QLD.

Just imagine if it was a new species, we could name it a "Penny Turtle" after it's discoverer.

Cheers,

Craig
AFTCRA Inc.
07 5408-2616

Hi Penny, were you lucky enough to find this little guy again?

I doubt it too but where there's one, there could me more:)

I've seen a few Bell's Turtles in the McDonald River between Tamworth and Inverell in NSW and they all have a much more grayish colouring on the head and neck (BTW, I'm colourblind!) but could this just be the difference between the NSW and QLD Bell's?

We caught turtles that looked strikingly similar to this little guy when I was kid in SE QLD. Often found them around the end of December in the creek that ran through our property. It was a while ago and I know nothing about turtles, but that one looks right on the money.

It looks like a brisbane short neck E.m.signata maybe?

looks like a hatchling murray river shortneck to me... have the same yellow crisp line from their mouths... we have about 30 odd wild murrays in our dam...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back