Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_mike

Reaction score
My Darwin carpet no longer poos on command. Ive only had him about 5 months but for the last couple of months he has pood on the lawn 3-4 days after I've fed him. Very convenient.

3 weeks ago I moved him into a larger enclosure (1.2 x 0.6 x 0.6) & he's settled in & seems nuch happier than his previous cramped quarters (0.9 x 0.4 x 0.3 - an aquarium). He's about 1.3m long.

All is sweet except that I now have to clean up poo. Ever since moving in to his new home he poos in the enclosure. Doesn't matter if he's had extended lawn time during the day, come nighttime about 4 days post feeding he defecates in doors.

I've just realised I'm underfeeding him. He weighs about 650g & I'm feeding him a weaner rat (50g) 1 per week. I'll up him to weaners per week.

Anyway, any tips on encouraging outdoor defecation would be tops. Thanks

hmmmmm not sure on tips.. mine's the other way around.. even if he's just pooed in the enclosure, every time he's on the grass he goes again. Snake poo is easy to clean up so I'm not too fussed, he can poo wherever as long as it isn't on me!

I've found smacking them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper teaches them quickly that they have done bad.

My BHP is toilet trained, hasn't crapped in his enclosure for 18 months,
so I guess he is a domestic animal : )
Or just hygienic.

You guys are lucky then. I go through and change paper towel and newspaper for 30+ animals every few days, but majority of them don't appreciate my efforts and leave a dirty mess for me within an hour afterwards.

Your snake is prolly marking his territory. That is why some people will clean thier snakes enclosure, then get one of the snakes previous poops and rub it around the freshly cleaned enclosure, so he feels at home. Maybe there is the smell of a previous tennant in his new enclosure and he is trying to out poop the other guy?

When my snakes poop in thier enclosure, I just note it needs doing then wait a few hours (or next day) and do a spot clean then. A few hours-day old poop is like picking up a crayon.... no big deal.

After he has scented his new enclosure and settles in, he will prolly go back to the routine you had before :)

I am opposite to you, I rather mine poop inside, that way I know they have been and are regular.

"Your snake is prolly marking his territory. That is why some people will clean thier snakes enclosure, then get one of the snakes previous poops and rub it around the freshly cleaned enclosure, so he feels at home. Maybe there is the smell of a previous tennant in his new enclosure and he is trying to out poop the other guy?"

Brand new freshly built enclosure, so no previous tenants bo. Today he crapped outside, so maybe he was just marking territory. Weird. As per usual it seems I just need to relax about his behaviour & let him do his own thing

"I am opposite to you, I rather mine poop inside, that way I know they have been and are regular."

I watch him poo on the lawn each week. It does feel slightly creepy & perverted but this way I can keep track of his regularity & in a couple of days when the sun has baked them crispy, come & remove the little salmonella laden packets & help prevent anyone catching squirty bum from my pythons poo.

Is there a full moon or something happening at the moment... there are some VERY weird threads being posted in the last few days...

Jamie

Your snake is prolly marking his territory. That is why some people will clean thier snakes enclosure, then get one of the snakes previous poops and rub it around the freshly cleaned enclosure, so he feels at home. Maybe there is the smell of a previous tennant in his new enclosure and he is trying to out poop the other guy?

are you taking the piss? Snakes marking their territory?

I have to admit, no matter when they last went all my snakes manage to squeeze something out after I clean their cages. I ve always attributed it to some sort of scent marking.

No, I agree, they are very territorial. I put a Childrens python in with my BHP
and the next day he wasn't there. He must have escaped to get away from my BHP
being territorial.

my carpet will usually poop outside and i made him poop before the long car trip and i thought yay no poos along the way. . . .
i was showing him off to the kids in the street and he peed all down my leg and in my shoe then did a nice big dump.
it was very educational cos the kids kept asking where its bum was and what does snake poo look like!! :D - they were very excitted until they smelt it lol

I always laugh when I catch them mid poop.... how thier tail lifts up and wags a bit..... my spotties always do that when I clean thier enclosure and put them back in.

Then even they try and get as far away from it as possible :shock: (join the club!) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back