top vet in brisbane deception bay

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpetsnake

Reaction score
here is the address /number of a top herp vet in deception bay
brisbane qld
DECEPTION BAY VETERINARY CLINIC
DR CLAYTON KNIGHT B.V.SC (HONS)
175-181 DECEPTION BAY ROAD
DECEPTION BAY BRISBANE
QUEENSLAND
(07)38883677

there's a really good one at morayfield. i can't think of his name but he worked with the reps at australia zoo and another place i can't think of lol i haven't been to him but someone mentioned him if i need a vet. i guess it's just another option

Thanks for that, it's a huge drive for me but good to know if I need one. I took my knob-tail gecko to a vet in Seventeen Mile Rocks on recommendation - wasn't too happy though. The medical advice and drugs given were appropriate and my gecko did get better, but basic husbandry knowledge and care was lacking when my gecko needed to stay for a week of injections.

Deception Bay Veterinary

Hi Guys, i'm a newbie and just thought I'd add my first bit on this topic,

Clayton Knight and staff at D Bay Veterinary are fantastic . I take my reptiles and other animals there and I find their pricing reasonable and services fantastic. I take care of injured reptiles as well and whenever I call and have problems or questions they always try to help be it fitting in appointments for me or whatever. They are also realistic about the outcome of the treatment - o if they think a beardie doesn't have a good chance - I believe what they say (which can be a hard thing to hear sometimes but it's whats best for the animal). I have another beardie who is in long term care due to a head injury and they are just great with him. I guess you could say I speak very highly of them and would recommend them for any pet you need treatment on.

Kelly

I used to live in Burpegary - didn't think there was anything decent down there.

the one at morayfeild vet has left on maternity leave lol, hes a man, should be back one day soon tho

I use clayton knight also but only because he is the only one around there. out of the last 4 animals that i have taken there only 1 survived. I had been using him for over 5 years and at one time i had vet bill of over $600-700 and was short $50 once and he would not let me take the animal until paid in full and i believe the animal deteriorated in his holding cages which are not great reptile cages either.
There used to be a top vet by the name of Danny Brown at narangba but he has moved on and he is the one who worked for Aus zoo. As for morayfield as far as i know there is a female vet who does keep herps but is not confident in treating them as yet from what her surgery has told me.
As for fantastic vets i wish i still lived in sydney for only 1 reason and that is to be close to Terri Bellamy at Austral vet clinic and canley heights vet clinic. Now that lady works absolute miracles. I took a BHP there once which passed a retianed egg only 1 day after the rest and she became septic and appeared dead and not even able to right herself . Terry gave her fast acting and slow acting antibiotics and a shot of adrenalin and bought her back for me. I was expecting an autopsy report and instead recieved a call saying come and pick up my animal she is good as new almost.
Anyway i have had my rant for the night.
Paul

the one at moray field is dr danny brown, a member of this site, he has left to care for his extensive reptile collection if i'm not mistaken

Well i would never go back to Deception bay vet clinic ever again as my best WA bhp female has just died after being incorrectly diagnosed from that vet Clayton Knight.
I took my animal to him three days ago after noticing deteriorated muscle control of the lower 1/4 of her body and passing green fecal matter. He said he doesnt know what is wrong with her and sent me off with antibiotics, 3 days later after this consult i notice she is going down hill. After trying to contact deception bay vet with no success i rushed her to emergency at the wildlife hospital near to where i live at Aus Zoo and pleaded my case, they agreed to see her. By this time she was no longer moving and had a very faint heart beat. They had a look at her but by the time i got her to them she had passed. They found immediatly 2 retained eggs released into the body cavity with a brief exam but it was to late and she had gone septic and suffered peritonitis (blood poisoning) and was dead. A later autopsy was carried out and confirmed the diagnosis.. [deleted by Mods]

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. That's sad. Sorry for your loss Paul. I would put it to him in writing. Hit him up to replace it.

IsK

Well i would never go back to Deception bay vet clinic ever again as my best WA bhp female has just died after being incorrectly diagnosed from that vet Clayton Knight.
I took my animal to him three days ago after noticing deteriorated muscle control of the lower 1/4 of her body and passing green fecal matter. He said he doesnt know what is wrong with her and sent me off with antibiotics, 3 days later after this consult i notice she is going down hill. After trying to contact deception bay vet with no success i rushed her to emergency at the wildlife hospital near to where i live at Aus Zoo and pleaded my case, they agreed to see her. By this time she was no longer moving and had a very faint heart beat. They had a look at her but by the time i got her to them she had passed. They found immediatly 2 retained eggs released into the body cavity with a brief exam but it was to late and she had gone septic and suffered peritonitis (blood poisoning) and was dead. A later autopsy was carried out and confirmed the diagnosis..

Wow. I would do something about that also. Have u let him (Clayton) know the outcome of your snake?

Teni

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents, i think clayton has done a great job for me in the past, he has helped me out with a diamond of ours (he was a great snake who had cancer) i thought claytons service was good and his staff also good. I have no hesitation in reccomending him to others for reptiles ( I say reptiles as i have not had personal experiance with him with other animals, i however see no reason why he would be different) and this is saying something as i was a vet nurse for 10 years and then worked for a company that did software for vet clinics and i tripped all over australia for them and have been in a heap of vet clinics all over the place, also this is a good as my wife is a vet nurse and we could have got treatment for next to nothing or for free but we chose to pay for his services as we felt comfortable with him on his reputation from other vets for his reptile skills.

cannot get much better than that !

you will always get bad and good experiances no matter who you use or where you go, guess you have to use who you feel comfortable with.

cheers
chris

funny that you should say that (I know this reply is a bit late lol) But I got my diamond from a man that works at Australia Zoo, and he referred me to a vet in Deception Bay. LOL Now i really know why he referred me to that vet, only because that vet and my salesman works or shall i say WORKED at australia zoo.
Funny....

PS you will always get disappointments everywhere nowhere is perfect

for those of you who dont know Dreamworld on the gold coast has an animal hospital which is government funded. if you find a sick or injured animal take it to them as they will look after it free of charge, being government funded. i also have a friend that works there as a vet surgeon assistant and he takes his snakes there for regular check ups and whenever anything goes wrong so if you cant make the trip to deception bay and you live on the gold coast or near by that would probably be your next best bet. Currumbin wildlife santruary animal hospital would also be another option.

Are they any good at Currumbin Sanctuary, do u know? Sounds like they would be a bit more knowledgeable about snakes worth considering going. Is that government funded aswell? Cool and will encourage me to have a look around there lol!
Wouldnt mind dreamworld tho, but i think Currumbin would know more about snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back