Touchy Subject?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok another thing, i never feed anything bigger than weiner mouse, anything bigger than that can have to much damage, ive nly had small snakes that have needed live, and when feeding live, i dont throuw it ontop of snake, the snake is usually on the branch and mouse at the bottom of cage, and the snake ambushes its prey, I'm going by what i have done personally and how my snake have fed, im open to other opinions, and thats yours

ethier way im still againt and that other post wasnt even aimed at you
the closest to live feeding i would go bside feeding pinkie's (i class pinkies to be until the develope the slightest bit of teeth, but usually i feed 1 or 2 day old "pinkies" and not live) back on track it would be feeding fresh killed with just nerves no brain so it cant attack

and all the other peoples opinions are there you just have to read them

Well this has been an interesting read and I thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I have definately learned a few things from all the posts written about this.

But I think my topic header was spot-on.................Touchy Subject

perhaps someone on here has the exact wording for the law that is being spoken about. thus we can all read it and the point would then be clarified

Modst of the State animal protection acts say that you can't harm an animal or place it in a position where it can be harmed. They all tend to define animal as a vertebrate, excluding humans (although SA also excludes fish). A couple of them include crustaceans in that definition, with respect to restaurants.

:p

Hix

Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979
amended Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Amendment Bill 2004
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/poctaa1979360/s4.html
For the purposes of this Act, a reference to an act of cruelty committed upon an animal includes a reference to any act or omission as a consequence of which the animal is unreasonably, unnecessarily or unjustifiably:
(a) beaten, kicked, killed, wounded, pinioned, mutilated, maimed, abused, tormented, tortured, terrified or infuriated,
(b) over-loaded, over-worked, over-driven, over-ridden or over-used,
(c) exposed to excessive heat or excessive cold, or
(d) inflicted with pain.
Obviously this is not all there is but this research took the 2 available minutes i had this morning.
:?

That's the NSW legislation. Each state and Territory has it's own Act.

Hix

Ok so i might post a new Question.

A friend of my husbands was telling me that her friend feeds her snake live rats, out on the floor in the lounge room. I told her what the rules are but she just give me a really blonde look (no offence).

What is the argument for that?

There is no argument. They are breaking the law.

Section4, Clause 3 of the Act reads:

For the purposes of this Act, a person commits an act of aggravated cruelty upon an animal if the person commits an act of cruelty upon the animal or (being the person in charge of the animal) contravenes section 5 (3) in a way which results in:
(a) the death, deformity or serious disablement of the animal, or
(b) the animal being so severely injured, so diseased or in such a physical condition that it is cruel to keep it alive.

Hix

Sorry I didn't word it right. How do you argue with someone who looks like they cant add 1+1. I guess there is no use anyway as they don't even own the snake. But I just wish people would listen and understand.

with people like that, you can only go with the theory of:
'a picture is worth a thousand words'
show them some pics of live feed injuries on reptiles.

Touchy indead!

I find it difficult to get a good regular supply of frozen rats in my area,any suggestions of any where i can get these from?Or the easiest way to euthenase live food? 8)

RE: Touchy indead!

CO2 gas is what i use its great they fall asleep and then die in there sleep and its easy but you have make sure you give them a leathal amount, i put mine in a ice cream container stick the hose in a leave gas running for 45-60 seconds, but with pinkie i rarely do this because gas it not cheap, i hust flick the pinkies in the head which kill there brain and breaks their neck

Jumala said:
with people like that, you can only go with the theory of:
'a picture is worth a thousand words'
show them some pics of live feed injuries on reptiles.

Thats it, and you can find plenty of images of snakes that have been harmed by rodents with a google search, show the person a large amount of horrific images :shock:

Matt

Touchy indead!

Thanks ,just a simple Q, where can i get CO2 and how much $$ are we talkin 8)

RE: Touchy indead!

well im using my dad's beer brewing gas its food grade and im pretty sure you'll want to be using food grade, so beer brewing shops and if they dont sell it they should be able to refer you to a dealer and i would also have a look in the yellow pages

Re: Touchy indead!

Turpsss said:
I find it difficult to get a good regular supply of frozen rats in my area,any suggestions of any where i can get these from?Or the easiest way to euthenase live food? 8)

Any pet store should be able to order in frozen food for you, even if they don't stock it. Should ask. :D

Ive recently been burnt by one pet shop who sold me some rotten frozen mice, all of which i had to bin. these were from a very well known company, i think it was a issue in transit over a long distance.

Lesson learnt, avoid petshops that arent getting there frozen rodents from a local breeder.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back