Tropical Cyclone Hamish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I experienced 'Larry', and I can understand the feeling of anticipation... The aftermath is still felt by some... However I envy those who are able to track and chase Cyclones and Tornadoes... Mother Nature at her best!!

The Southern parts of Australia are desperate for rain, and especially Vic! I trust that you are all prepared and that damage will be minimal. My greatest concern would have to be for all those in the small Islands- they do not have the best position, and I do not wish the Cyclone upon them.

The best scenario I could imagine is that it kicks out off the Coast and misses all the little islands (Heron & south) and then slows as it comes in and dumps FEET of rain over the southern areas... Again fingers crossed for Vic- at least things can re-grow after the trauma of the fires.

its 7.49 and its still as very eary looking ...wind was blowing half the night and now nothing not even a fairy fart ...

NO ONE wished CAT 5 .....thats just unreal winds over 250km + there is no way he is heading up north ..us southerners seem to be in his war path ...can only hope that ..no deaths occur but the reality is property damages will happen if he comes ashore...take care all and hope to be still standing in the next few days...a cyclone this big even if your 90mins from the coast it means nothing ...

Would like to remind all you people that 14 people died during the last cyclone that hit this far south with similar wind speeds.

Also Cyclone Larry crossed as a category 4 cyclone (not 5) and you've seen the damage it caused! So I couldn't even begin to imagine the damage a category 5 cyclone will do.

Even though Cyclone Hamish passed by Cairns, and no reports of damage.... One of my banana trees fell down. And even though it doesn't take much to push them over - this one wasn't ready to go!

This map will continually update as it updates on the BOM site:

IDQ65001.gif

People between Bundaberg and Tewantin should consider what action they will need
to take if the cyclone threat increases. If you are unsure about the actions to
be taken, information is available from your local government or local State
Emergency Service..........................this one isnt heading back up north its definately a southern one ...Tewantin isnt that far from me nor is Bundy ......

Shes a big one alright. Why do we call them shes but we give them male names....? Mmmmmm...

This is what the experts said would happen to Queensland weather with Global Warming. More and bigger and further South Cyclones.
Fellow earthlings this is just a taste of the future.

Well I'm now officially in the warning zone....
Hamish is an absolute monster!!

Some of the satellites are down and cant get decent pics of him but this will do.
Cat58178309.jpg

Cat5TrackMap.gif

Last edited:
if he stays on track then anyone from Bundy down will feel wrath of this big fella...thats a fair chunk of APS members...

The one thing I loved about Larry:

Was an awesome experience because my roof stayed on - no tree survived on my street, well, one did, it was lucky, it was the one behind my room which is why I slept under the breakfast bar that night on my couch.

The one thing I hated about Larry:

We lost power at 11pm the night before it actually hit. The winds were so high I watched power lines exploding as they got removed from the pylons.

We lost electricity and phone for 4 days - which was remarkably quick considering others lost it for up to a couple of weeks!

I had no internet...

Eeeeeep! How did I survive...

Is that what you're looking forward to?

And Dan, I was in NZ for Cyclone Bola - it was a bit severe yes, but N O T H I N G on Larry (as you'd imagine).

All I can say is Category 5 - Watch OUT!!!

(recall, Larry was a 4!!!)

slimey we wont really know untill Monday ..by Tuesday we will know if he stays on this path ....I feel poor Bundy may feel the wrath of him if not Gladdy peeps ...so best to all ...stay as safe as you can be ...

I've only been in Qld for 3 or 4 years now and the only cyclone i can recall in that time was larry but just wondering, how far south can they move? Has brissy ever been hit and i'd have to imagine they would be pretty weak if they did manage to get this far south. And good luck to anyone in this ones path

Fraser Island has copped cyclones....so yes it can happen ..mudi this is a big boy and we wont know till early next week the full effects of him ..wind is now picking up at my place

well it looks like mackay is goin to be spared from the wrath of Hamish. Unfortunately it looks like you guys in gladstone thru to bundy could be the unlucky buggers:(. Take care and prepare for the worst down there;).
Mudimans yes Bne has had them the most famous being the '74 floods, and the official cyclone watch area was extended a couple of years ago, which goes down as far south as Byron Bay.

I've only been in Qld for 3 or 4 years now and the only cyclone i can recall in that time was larry but just wondering, how far south can they move? Has brissy ever been hit and i'd have to imagine they would be pretty weak if they did manage to get this far south. And good luck to anyone in this ones path

New Zealand copped a cyclone back in the 80s - Cyclone Bola...

Also Cyclone Giselle sunk the Wahine in the Cook Straight (68 ).

So Cyclones have been hitting as far south as Wellington before hand, therefore all this talk of 'more hitting further south' seems a little bit over the top and predictable behaviour from scientists who have to convey the 'unknown'.

Just to confirm:

"In the early morning of 10 April, two violent storms merged over Wellington, creating a single extratropical cyclone storm that was the worst recorded in New Zealand's history. Cyclone Giselle was heading south after causing much damage in the north of the North Island. It hit Wellington at the same time as another storm which had driven up the West Coast of the South Island from Antarctica.[2] The winds in Wellington were the strongest ever recorded. At one point they reached a speed of 275 km/h and in one Wellington suburb alone ripped off the roofs of 98 houses. Three ambulances and a truck were blown onto their sides when they tried to go into the area to bring out injured people." (April 10 1968 )

New Zealand copped a cyclone back in the 80s - Cyclone Bola...

Also Cyclone Giselle sunk the Wahine in the Cook Straight (68 ).

So Cyclones have been hitting as far south as Wellington before hand, therefore all this talk of 'more hitting further south' seems a little bit over the top and predictable behaviour from scientists who have to convey the 'unknown'.

Just to confirm:

"In the early morning of 10 April, two violent storms merged over Wellington, creating a single extratropical cyclone storm that was the worst recorded in New Zealand's history. Cyclone Giselle was heading south after causing much damage in the north of the North Island. It hit Wellington at the same time as another storm which had driven up the West Coast of the South Island from Antarctica.[2] The winds in Wellington were the strongest ever recorded. At one point they reached a speed of 275 km/h and in one Wellington suburb alone ripped off the roofs of 98 houses. Three ambulances and a truck were blown onto their sides when they tried to go into the area to bring out injured people." (April 10 1968 )[/quote
We were living in wellington at the time of cyclone giselle, i was only 2 at the time but i have always had the image of 2 pine trees in our back yard been torn out and crashing thru our kitchen roof. I dont remember anything else but that has always stuck in my mind.

Only time will tell.....

Exactly what the other scientist say to those who suggest something will happen when really it is 'unknown' :D

Well, if since 1968 there's only been two cyclones that far south.... And none since 1988... One would suggest in the past 21 years this comment has not yet come true....

Cyclone Wanda hit Brissie (area) in 74, the same year Tracy hit!

Can't tell if any have hit Sydney or further south...

Oh... Just found this:

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/cyclone/about/cyclones-nsw-impacts.shtml

A quick scan doesn't seem to indicate an increase in frequency by any means.

Some kid has been drawing all over the map of Aussie with a black pen:

cyclone7.png

Erratic to say the least :)

hey ally you can put them all in pillow cases, as kerston says, and then put them in the bath tub with a mattress on the bottom and one on top for a bit of protection.
Hang in there tho you will be allright;)

umm , is a better idea to fill your tub with water and all your pots buckets ect as you can loose water and power few anywhere up to a month.... do the said quote but not the bath tub.... fill it with water!!!! put them on the floor and take refuge with them in the bath room as thats the strongest part of anyhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back