Tropical Cyclone Hamish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, indeed ally, its just hit cat 5 status, at 295kms an hour :shock: Not happy!:evil: Haha and I thought cyclone season was over!:rolleyes: LOL! What a joke! HAHAHA:lol:

nope, not till the end of march/ mid may can you relax about cyclone treats.... another that gets me is that the southerners all go on how we huff and puff about a cyclone forming and that we choose to live there...... well the south east corner gets damaging storms "every" year.... around sydney can get the same as well as big fires and vic just get big fires from time to time.... we live in australia and we all cop weather extremes... no matter where we go!!!

Not looking good, looks as though it's be becoming an Annular Cyclone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annular_hurricane)
qld_vis_latest.jpg

mackay_vis_latest.jpg

Downgraded to a Cat 4 now thank god, no guarantee it wont increase again though. Also looks like its curving around Gladstone woo, but once again never know for sure, just have to wait and see.

Well, if since 1968 there's only been two cyclones that far south.... And none since 1988... One would suggest in the past 21 years this comment has not yet come true....
I get what your saying slim and your right, that really we have no idea whats REALLY going to happen. Im not a scientist of weather, thus I tend to lean towards them for whats going to happen in the future weather wise....apart from a scan of the horizon I cant do much better then that.
Regarding all the evidence of the last 21 years plus...I thought the global warming scientists said it may start now or in the near future...which would mean looking at past data will reveal no answer for us :?.

We have family in Bundy and in Hervey Bay, i wish them all the best, but mother nature is certainly facinating, thanks dan for the updates.

We have family in Bundy and in Hervey Bay, i wish them all the best, but mother nature is certainly facinating, thanks dan for the updates.

No worries
Yea good luck to your family, lets hope its nothing over cat 3 when it hits land.

Wind is starting to pick up here already, gust's in the mid 40's, had a bit of rain too, suppose to be increasing as the night goes on and worse tomorrow. Forecast for here is for rain, strong and gusty winds.

Getting 46k gusts in Gladstone atm, has been dead quiet only picked up a few hours ago.

How long do you think us QLDers down further have been WISHING FOR RAIN?mmmmmm try years ..as said before yes understand that the brunt can and does cause damage but the rain that could come from Hamish will be a much needed want and so alot of us do hope we get it ....you chose to live in a well known cyclone area yet ,alot of you get on the huff n puff if a cyclone forms ...I dont wish you any harm in no way but reality check FNQ is a great place to cop good cyclones always has been not just something new ..you do your best to be prepared and wait it out ...if you dont want to be in an area of cyclone habitat then I suggest you move ... sometimes you just gotta cop some bad to get a lot of good .

Well how about you you deal with your little drama of not enough rain, if you cant do that move to somewhere where it does rain more, your statment is a two way street.

Well how about you you deal with your little drama of not enough rain, if you cant do that move to somewhere where it does rain more, your statment is a two way street.

i think perhaps the whole THERES A BIG BLOOMIN CITY FULL OF PEOPLE DOWN HERE. and plenty of farmland that hasnt seen decent rains for a while are what they're referring to...

if it's gonna storm then let it storm, there's little we can do about it so stop getting your knickers in a twist eh? lets just appreciate what mother nature can do for us and accept the fact that we cant do much to stop her so we may as well grin and bear it :)

i for one love storms, i lucky to live in peaceful brisbane that rarely sees destructive weather, but i sure do love a good thunderstorm!

ever since i was 14 and watched that movie on cyclone tracy i have been shi scared of them i have even already called my boss and said if it is bad i am no going to work which he didn;t appreciat very much

i think perhaps the whole THERES A BIG BLOOMIN CITY FULL OF PEOPLE DOWN HERE. and plenty of farmland that hasnt seen decent rains for a while are what they're referring to...

if it's gonna storm then let it storm, there's little we can do about it so stop getting your knickers in a twist eh? lets just appreciate what mother nature can do for us and accept the fact that we cant do much to stop her so we may as well grin and bear it :)

i for one love storms, i lucky to live in peaceful brisbane that rarely sees destructive weather, but i sure do love a good thunderstorm!

I think everyone here appreciates mother nature and what she can do, noone is saying they dont.

I LOVE storms aswell, I was even hoping the cyclone would hit us if it was only a cat 2 or 3, but its a bit different story when you could possibly be in the path of potentionally one of the most destructive cyclones we have seen in a long time..

THERE IS BIG BLOOMIN CITIES FULL OF PEOPLE UP HERE TOO. :rolleyes: No side of the story is right or wrong, get over it.

ever since i was 14 and watched that movie on cyclone tracy i have been shi scared of them i have even already called my boss and said if it is bad i am no going to work which he didn;t appreciat very much

Lot of places will be shut if it rolls thru here... We will be if it comes close...

It is heading out to sea a touch so it doesn't look as bad as it did at lunch time, Bundy is in a bad spot now.

It really is an amazing storm, the way it has rolled along the coast staying just out of punching distance of the mainland (let's hope it stays that way while it is above cat 3), There is still a good chance that it will run itself out and become a rain depression in the south east...

cyclone watch ATM ends about 50km north of here. Its getting close and, if it arrives, will be the third cyclone I've experienced.
If it passes over here or south of here and goes deep enough inland, then the Murray-Darling may get a big drink.

A mates father lives at Pt H'Brook and we had a laugh on the phone this afternoon. Dumped a bit of rain early and a bit blowy, but he reckons that this one has little sting in it and it'll blow off.
He reckons it's a bit of a dramatic **** by the media and the touros?!
Hate to quote my mate, but he was dead right. It'll be a depression by tomorrow night, leaving all the doomers p1ssing in the wind :rolleyes:
Weird that people almost wish a disaster upon themselves...

slight change of direction in the last update...

Imagine this...

Instead of it hitting the coast south of Yeppoon or Hervey Bay... it turns east and heads back to re-fuel so to speak and then returns with full fury.

I've learnt over the years about the Met Service from many countries... One thing they'll always do is exaggerate the situation. If they under exaggerate then 'heads' will roll.

One year when I was living in the South Island they forecasted a mild snow storm... unfortunately the snow was so heavy in August that farmers lost millions of stock heads. It was such an amazing storm of huge proportions that most of Canterbury in the South Island couldn't operate for weeks!

People questions the met service then big time... From there on in, even if it was a little flurry - they'd broadcast huge storms - just in case!

I assume it's the same with Cyclones.. always report it one category higher than it is and make poeple really prepare 'just in case' - because cyclones have this tendency to be slightly chaotic in their approach to land.

With this reporting if they said it's a Cat 3 cyclone, most people wouldn't care... Allow them to believe winds of up to 300km/hr are floating around the inside, action occurs. when it hits, no one is hurt, no one is killed, everyone is well prepared. Do heads roll at the BOM? Nope!

Do people say, thank god we prepared for the worst, but the worst never came? Yep!

heads wouldn't roll if they did there job. there's no need to make out its bigger than what it is. if people die its not because they didn't predict it bigger than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back