TrueBlue's Anti-Thermostat Stand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there guys, an electrical engineer told me that a dimming thermostat works by resistance and anything that is running off it will be drawing it's full wattage capacity at all times.
Can anyone confirm that?
Has anybody out there had a microclimate thermostat crap itself?

Thats incorrect fishhead. The dimmer stats work by chopping the main signal part way through the cycle.

Are you sure CodeRed? I remember wiring up some light dimmers about 6 months ago, and i'm sure somewhere on the packaging it said something along the lines of what fishead was saying, although i don't think it uses full capacity when dimming, but it was quite high compared to the actual output.

Here's a little something i just found on the net...

Dimmer switches can save energy but beware, a light dimmed down to one quarter of its input still uses half the energy.

Yeah I can understand that, no point making it worse for the poor old fella.

Boa ,I would rather keep that bit a secret, I mean I just couldn't be that cruel to him he is messed up enough is our young Robby..

I think its time to finish this discussion, we seem to have got away from the thermostat issue and are now discussing different heating methods. If anyone wants to continue discussing heating methods, feel free to start another thread.

I think what has been established (again) is that different systems work for different people, and the details of those systems are influenced by their location and climate.

Newbies can learn how to keep reptiles alive, and even learn how to breed, from reading books on the subject - but until they understand what is required (as opposed to copying what is in a book), they aren't going to be as successful as the more experienced breeders.

And it's the more experienced breeders who have been keeping herps for many, many years and know what they are doing who have been the most active participants in this discussion.

Here endeth the lesson.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back