TrueBlue's Anti-Thermostat Stand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boa yeah kind of figured that ,brought it up again that way as my question earlier in the thread was ignored.

recharge want to lay money on which is more dangerous to use to heat a cage IE Heat pad (panels are even safer) or a light bulb..

I'll ask this again since I didn't get an answer before. Why does it seem that so many folks down your way use lights to heat their cages??? wouldn't ask if I wasn't interested in the answer. Be nice or I'll make you look at more baby Jag and Chondro pictures ;). Randy

when i started keeping bulbs were pretty much all that was avaiable that was reliable enough.
Ive fine tuned using them so that there is no problem at all with using them and as i said cant see how they are un safe.? Why do you say they are dangerous.??

Oh dont really like jags and got plenty of gtps, so post away lol.

Well you could ask your local fireman or the insurance company that covers your house.. Lights are far more prone to failure add to that the possibility of the snake breaking one(even with a cover it is more likely) or splashing water on one and bang glass all over again and serious fire hazard ETC ETC Not to mention the cost to operate a bulbs is far higher and it has a far shorter life span. You mention Facts well these are real facts check it out.

If you've been keeping for that long then why are you using bulbs?? I'd hate to see my electric bill if I was using bulbs with all my critters.. It bothers me that you recommend bulbs to newbies as they are a great way to kill a snake.. Please tell me you don't use lights on your chondro's???

Well heck then I'll post some of these then lol
DSC00790.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

well here's a Chondro or two anyway
Jayagirl.jpg

8f9c5ccf.jpg

And just because he's cute one of last years Canary babies
DSC00481.jpg

we don't even have access to heat panels here in aus.. so there's your answer for that.

heat cords are fine, but these too can be dangerous if not set up properly, a 100w heat cord will easily burn just about anything.

heat mats, well, we've had a spare of failures in recent months were they've almost caused fires, and sever snakes were killed.

so yea, there is no 100% sure fire way that doesn't involve risk.
even a lack of the right heat can lead to RI or other problems.

then there is the whole deal with cage size, big cages don't have an overheating issue, while smaller ones can.

the blanket statement that thermostats kill or are an unreasonable risk is hogwash.
it's totally dependant on what you keep, how you keep and what enclosures you use.

more dangerous ravensgait? well, I'd have to say arrogance would be more dangerous, so would assuming what and how others tend their animals.

there is always risk, it's a part of life, even reasonable risk.
you talk about such things, well, would having the animals in their true natural setting be the optimum? but then, you couldn't keep reps then, could you?

so obviously you don't live in a place that has below 0 temps eh? :p
how nice for you, but what about people who do? should they simply not keep reptiles from other areas? seriously, expand your mind a little, we are in different places, with different animals, with different requirements.

Recharge I didn't at all get the last part of your post ??

Sure there is risk never said there wasn't but why not reduce the risk if you can?? Isn't that the responsible thing to do?? Randy

and how far do you go randy? I'm sure there are safer methods still, if you want to spend the cash.

I personally am not well to do in the funds steaks, should that mean I should over extend my resources for a little more safety? get a more expensive car? better house security? 24h monitoring? how far do you go?
have a look at my setup, no chance of an exploding bulb, double layer protection against contact burns, and a large area for better heat gradient and, in the most trafficked area of the house.
how much further should I go?

there is responsible, then there's fanatical.

Recharge,

We certainly do have access to heat panels for 1 from http://www.herptrader.com.au/

Pro-heat panels can also be imported easily in 240 volt from the USA. 10 years guarentee, no thermal burns, the utimate for GTP's. I've started installing these in numerous enclosures!

These are Radiant Panel heaters that can heat up larger areas for reptiles, birds or animals. The front surface of these heaters are moderately hot so they should be fixed on ceilings or walls where animals or birds etc. will not come into contact with the front surface.

so, can still burn right?
and importing eh? yep, that sure is easy access... :lol:
not quite the 'walk into pet shop and purchase' ease I'd prefer :p

edit.. hmm I really need to sew some heat cords into my ugg boots for these cold nights too :(

interestingly enough i believe the CFA investigators are blaming my house fire on 40watt party globes that i had heating the cockroaches. The theory is they were nocked over by rats or mice or somehting along those lines that would have been attracted to the roach containers. 40watt light bulbs really are quite able to start fires.

Andrew

i disagree on that one ravensgait, ive seen heat mats and heat cord burn out and cause fires but NEVER seen or heard of a blown light bulb cause a fire.? please explain.!!

I can heat 5-7 tanks with 2 x 25 watt light bulbs, probally cost a few cents a day, very inexpensive.

Like ive said ive used them for nearly 20 years and bred everything from elapids to colurbrids to pythons, in fact ive never raised a snake and not bred it.? And NEVER had a burn on any snake.

IMO they are far less dangerous than most other forms of heating, hell if they were as bad as you say, houses would be burning down everyday all over the world from the millions of light bulbs being used.

And yes ive kept greens with lights and they thrive.

like slack said, it was probably knocked over,with the glass smashed and the element still intact, theres your fire. I been building houses for 20 years and VERY rarely, an incandescent bulb will pop, shattering the glass. In fact ive only ever seen it happen once in my 40 years of life. and i think a snake would have a high chance of surviving the hot glass if found early enough. And if your light is covered or caged it wont stick its nose in the socket so there is no way it would get electrocuted.

Randy, the main issue we have here is that we are about 10 years behind with our husbandry techniques here. I am trying to find a source of affordable heat panels if you can point me toward someone willing to export ?
I have started using small low wattage down light for lighting only.
You might as well just show us the Jag photo's anyway, I guess a few people might possibly want to see them ;-)

Boa yeah kind of figured that ,brought it up again that way as my question earlier in the thread was ignored.

recharge want to lay money on which is more dangerous to use to heat a cage IE Heat pad (panels are even safer) or a light bulb..

I'll ask this again since I didn't get an answer before. Why does it seem that so many folks down your way use lights to heat their cages??? wouldn't ask if I wasn't interested in the answer. Be nice or I'll make you look at more baby Jag and Chondro pictures ;). Randy

Randy, the main issue we have here is that we are about 10 years behind with our husbandry techniques here. I am trying to find a source of affordable heat panels if you can point me toward someone willing to export ?
I have started using small low wattage down light for lighting only.
You might as well just show us the Jag photo's anyway, I guess a few people might possibly want to see them ;-)

Boa the best heat panels are from pro-heat. They cost you a bit around 200 -250 AUD imported but are the bees neez. No light globes ever! You simply email them but they want to know cage dimensions, enclosure material and species to be kept. Then they work out the panel suitable.

I have imported about a dozen and Nephrurus has just got some as well.

PM me if you want more info!

Excellent, thanks for that. I'll shoot you off a PM tomorrow.

$200-250 for heating.. ouch...
that's way out of my tiny budget..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back