Turtles in tropical aquarium ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha yea i have to agree fake coral is worse than fake plants!

if you have fake plants it can look really good!

with turtles anyway, i always use fake plants as they stir them up and mess it all around

Fake coral and Multicure (whitespot introduced by a fish)....does not go down well. It is now formed some sludge and you can't even see the coral colours.

That Multicure also coated my filter tubes, is that what they refer to as Silcon slime ?

Some fish I introduced or stress (yes probably overcrowded)....caused whitespot. It spread to a couple other fish.

I didn't have the means to separate the fish at the time, so treated the tank (besides I didn't want it spreading after removal of only one's showing symptoms).

I am new at this so forgive my mistakes please. I do think it was a certain batch of fish, as all of those fish died within the week introduced, but all the existing fish (from different sources) were fine. The white spot (and some jagged tails on certain other fish - still trying to isolate if rot or biting or other)...started only after that batch was introduced.

I did add some plants too.

The levels are:

amonia - near 0
nitrate (or nitrite) not sure which test I have - was .2 climbed to .4
ph - 7.5 (letting water changes increase it naturally)

Did a 30% water change before treating with multicure and going to retest everything tonight.

Also added some salts.

if you want to know more about the desease:
white spot is a bit of a nasty desease and commonly isn't actually inroduced to a tank. they are a bacteral based parasite, this bacteria is constantly present in fish, but when they get stressed it over populates and develops into a parasite. i've actualy read that the parasites once into their free swimming life cycle stage they can actually survive our drinking water treatments and can come into a tank with the addition of tap water. its hard to treat because of its life cycle, it latches onto fish grow and detachts becoming free swimming and reproduce, little baby parasite grow up and attactch to fish. while attachted they are untreatable so you have to wait untill they are free swimming for teatment to work. the teatment course you have started is great, you can also oush the temps up a tad to speed up the parasites life cycle so they are exposed to the treatment quicker. the multi cure product is god for mild or early cases if it progresses switch to a white spot spefic treatment. i actually continure treatment another round after all fish are n longer symptomatic to make sure i've got all the free swimmers. after treatment there is a fw things you can do to reduce the chance of it crpping up again. i would recomend a week course of a product called melafix, it's a natural medicine that is anti-bacterial and helps the fishs slime coat (their immune system)
note: make sure to remove all carbon from your filter during treatment of any medication, carbon will deactivate the active ingredients

good luck, white spot is my number one most hated fish desease

What fish did you end up getting, and how many. How long has the tank been set up for. And as mentioned remove all carbon, as it removes the chemicals that treat the fish.

Crap.....now I'm going to have to admit my overcrowded newbie problem.

I don't know the technical specie names off hand.

I added 6 fish at the start (well my existing 2 guppies, 3 swords were transferred, then on day 3 the new 6 fish were added). They were all lake w. cichlids (got the list at home, but quieter ones). Also 2 angel(koi one died a week later).

Then I added some sharks (2 silver, 2 rainbow), 3 clown loaches, dwarf coral gourami.

What was meant to be last was 2 bumblebee, 1 rusty cichlid, 1 white tail, 1 orange (flameback?) plus handful of neon tetras. Yes the tetras disappeared during the night (lesson learnt).

Of course I saw opportunity and added a juvenile Red Oscar and 2 more dwarf gourami. What can I say...I'm a newbie who became addicted and couldn't help it.

I transferred my 2 pakistani loach (tiny) because they were eating guppy fry (a small tank).
Same day I think I added 2 albino, 2 cory, 1 black knife. All were very small. Albino died next day, then cory next day, then black knife, then albino. Might be one cory left alive (never see it though).

White spot became evident on Oscar and slightly on fins of sharks/clown loan (all cichlids seem clear) after the first few of that last batch started to die.

Note I've added all these fishes in batches about every 3rd day. It's been 2 weeks since start. Tank was newly set up with all equipment, plus the chemical to avoid new tank syndrome (secrum ?). I checked the levels every 2 days and only during the last batch of fish, did the levels go up to .4 for nitrate.

All fish are juveniles (bumble bee, dusty, white tail and oscar are largest at about 10cm max, rest are 4-5cm at most). I did this with theory introducing young together they will establish as community better. I did try not to be stupid with real aggressive territory fish.

I am keeping careful eye on the white tail (colours show his mood and agro), oscar and a bumble bee (behaviour shows his agro). The other cichlids will occassionally test the couple of sword/guppies in there but never catch them (even at night), do the same to the plants. The 3 dominate fish seem to respect each other, have their territories and just keep other fish out of their way.

Oscar is only concern as I saw him with the dead angel (had lost half its body already) sitting in his mouth (undigested) for a few days. The oscar I never see attack a fish, but I sure think he cleans up when there is dead ones around. Eventually he swallowed the remainder of the angel.

I treated 2 days ago after a water change and in 2 days there is no sign of clearing up of the white spot on the oscar and couple of other affected fish. It says retreat on day 3 (after another water change). That will be tomorrow.

I removed all swords and guppies from the tank and in the other small tank they are happy, no illness, and having babies. One very pregnant guppy died mysteriously (almost like she burst???)...but otherwise there is a handful of guppies, swords, 3 bn and all getting along.

All the fish I added in the first 2 batches and have been there since very start of cycling (with the chemical) are still alive and not showing ill health. 1 dwarf gourami died after the problem batch.

No more have died but since they are days apart, probably due for one soon.

Oscar I'm getting concerned as this morning he looked dead, was asleep, but wondering if I'll find him sluggish tonight at feeding and then know he's really sick.

I don't know whether to take out any fish as if I put them in the other tank, they'll just likely infect the guppies/swords. Plus the 5ft tank has the best filtration and is already being treated.

I figured once the fish start to grow and it really is too little space for so many, I'll give away my less preferred ones.

I'm blaming myself for too many fish and stressing them.

If the levels are up at all or I see any increased sickness, then tomorrow I'll take a water sample to a LFS.

Last edited:
put the temps up to about 30/32 degrees and medicate....medicate for about a week than do a water change and if its stull around start again

salt is an awesome way to treat ich with high temps as well but DO NOT add salt as your loaches and stuff cant take it

Thank you for not bagging me. Yes too many fish and in just 2 weeks :(

I have both filters with water flow above surface to keep up o2. I am concerned that it is extremely humid with the glass lids on (and then the hood). I seems to drip dew everywhere and feel steamy (even if the water itself is at 28 atm).

Should I remove at least some of the glass lids at the front (so that air gets under the back of the hood easier and into the top of the tank ?

Should I add an air pump with a stone rod ?

I will put the temp up to 30deg.

Fortunately no more dead fish in that tank, oscar is still swimming around.

However now the other tank had 2 dead fish, which was to be expected. They were freebies that when I brought them home last night, my whole bucket fell and I had 10 mins of fun trying to find fishies under my washing machine :( :( :( They survived and seemed fine once introduced carefully to the guppy tank, but then 2 dropped off suddenly today. I am just happy the rest are still alive and not looking stressed. I also had some babies born.

PS. I put a low level of salt according to the instructions if you had less tolerant fish (I saw loach listed).

I wouldn't put it up to 30c.

28 maybe but not 30.

I'm not going to bag you about how you put your fish in, but i will about what fish you have choosen.

You need to seriously think about what you have done. It's like putting scrubbies, pygmies, jungles, bredli's and maybe a brown all in the same enclosure.

You need to stick with one type of fish. You will have constant stress in the tank which means you will have constant outbreaks of desease.

I don't see why you asked for help if you haven't listen to anything we've said.

Anyway, and just because fish were free shouldn't mean they should be treated any different to the ones you bought.

Most of the fish are actually quite compatible from the comments I was provided. The hard part is getting many conflicting comments and I went with what majority told me was generally okay.

They were Lake Malawi cichlids at the beginning. Then I was confused about some breeders comments on the 2nd batch (not realising till later that I'd mixed cichlids and they were more dominate ones) - fortunately they too have been okay.

It was all the unique fish ones added after that which my partner wanted (his birthday present originally) and yes I should have stuck to the rules then and now I have learnt.

Oscar is now doing happy (but whitespot still not reducing on him) in other tank after 2nd treatment. Amonia/Nitrate is close to zero there. Temp is 28deg.

Well your going to have short and long term problems, nitrate/ammonia can spike at about 4 weeks.

But you've done it now. I would definately not be sticking a turtle in.

Okay had a long talk with the LFS.

I've found out that the breeder I got some fish from ignored my request that I was only sticking with Africian Cichlids and mixed in some Americans. Until I listed each of the fish species I did not know. I am annoyed as I did tell the breeders I sourced fish from what my intentions were and I wanted non-dominate fish etc.

I will likely have to remove the Amercians soon. I just have to take photos and identify exactly what I have and get feedback on what has to go.

I paid the cost for the sachel that goes in my canister and will remove the nitrite/nitrate slowly. Water changes were not lowering the reading. I still went ahead with another 30% change tonight before adding.

I also purchased a White Spot treatment for the oscar (now guarantined) as the Multi Cure was not working. I am glad to learn that I must have the lighting off for it to work (besides removing carbon)...that was not on the instructions before.

Regarding the turtle, that was 3 months away. I was only looking at that once the tank is established and I am confident with the mix of fish.

Another 24 hours and no deaths....although I cannot locate the last clown loach. I don't know if he is in permanent hiding or what.....at 5cm he'd be a bit too large to be eaten in 1 day ? Plus the other fish that died were left alone except for a tasting the oscar had (now out of the tank).

Waiting game now.

My Turtle/s ate about $100 in a few days:(....wasn't happy so i gave up on fish and turned to reptiles :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back