Uber Noob! Tips, Hints and tricks for first time owner? Thanks in advance!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TiffPeters

Reaction score
Hello All! :D
My friends have snakes and I've ALWAYS wanted one...
Then!...

My bf surprised me with a snake tank for an early Christmas present!! :shock: but I have to look after the buying of the snake and whatnot.
So! As its my first snake, I was looking for the basics of owning a Spotted Python or Children's Python as those are the two snakes I've been deciding between.

I've been doing research online but keep getting lost and distracted by all the pretty snakes. Then I found this sight and you guys seem to be giving some awesome advice so I thought I'd pop a thread here to see what you guys have to say :lol:

Hi there, welcome.
Well first thing you will need is a reptile keepers license.
Then depending on if you get an adult snake or a hatchling you might need to build a little click clack container (search this).
Things you will need for a stimson or childrens python would be a heatmat + thermostat, and a thermometer, a small water bowl and a few small hides.

Hi there, welcome.
Well first thing you will need is a reptile keepers license.
Then depending on if you get an adult snake or a hatchling you might need to build a little click clack container (search this).
Things you will need for a stimson or childrens python would be a heatmat + thermostat, and a thermometer, a small water bowl and a few small hides.

I was going to get a hatchy. The bf doesn't want a really big snake so I thought I could ease him into one lol

stimmie will grow to around 1m and a spotted roughly 1.3m

Sweeet. I definitely want a spotted :3 I have decided!

Now to find the one you want, blonde, platinum, albino(pricey). A good place to have a look is Peter Birch's Colourful Critters, he has some of the best around. I have a stimmie, they are in the same family as spotteds. If you have a larger enclosure I would go a yearling at least, also this family of pythons is known for going off food for no reason if it does happen don't stress. Try read as many care sheets as possible, and avoid sticky tape, heat rocks, green heats mats and using a heat source without a thermostat

Now to find the one you want, blonde, platinum, albino(pricey). A good place to have a look is Peter Birch's Colourful Critters, he has some of the best around. I have a stimmie, they are in the same family as spotteds. If you have a larger enclosure I would go a yearling at least, also this family of pythons is known for going off food for no reason if it does happen don't stress. Try read as many care sheets as possible, and avoid sticky tape, heat rocks, green heats mats and using a heat source without a thermostat

Oooooh....albino....preeeeetttyyy....

If you are thinking Albino Spotted be prepared to have to fork out around $7000 (no that is not a misprint) A nice little Spotted Python (Antaresia Maculosa) is a very good Python to start off with and are very good to handle after a good settling in period, A yearling would be my choice for a first snake though as hatchies can be a bit finicky with their feeds. Good luck and welcome to the disease. :) .............................Ron

my first is soon to be a wheatbelt stimsons python. Beautiful print, most i've seen handle really well. They grow up to be small around the 1m mark.
It may disappoint your boyfriend if he has purchased a beautiful vivarium for you that it will need to spend it's first 12 months in a 'click clack' (ie 7l sistema food container from safeway) check out some of the hatchie setups in DIY zone (mine is in a recent thread called "first hatchie setup) to get an idea

Yeah I dream of the day when I can afford and Albino *sigh* *daydream*

Definitely organise your Wildlife Licence first.

Some really good articles here, read the first 3, over and over.

Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Have your tank set up and tested for temperatures before you get your snake.

Always use a thermostat, check temps regularly (a temperature gun is ideal for this) get some F10 for cleaning, some antibacterial handwash (for before and after handling) and read up on snake diseases and what to look for.

i may also celebrate the fact that my last post was my 50th woohoo! haha

- - - Updated - - -

get some F10 for cleaning.

I was soon to post on what people recommend as reptile-safe products for the monthly cleanout of the click-clack/viv. Is this the stuff i should be looking for?

i may also celebrate the fact that my last post was my 50th woohoo! haha

- - - Updated - - -

I was soon to post on what people recommend as reptile-safe products for the monthly cleanout of the click-clack/viv. Is this the stuff i should be looking for?

Yes. I'd be doing a weekly clean though, change your substrate (spot clean when they poop) as a routine. Hygiene is very important.

You can use plain old hot water and dishwashing detergent, and keep the F10 for a monthly clean out.

Yes. I'd be doing a weekly clean though, change your substrate (spot clean when they poop) as a routine. Hygiene is very important.

You can use plain old hot water and dishwashing detergent, and keep the F10 for a monthly clean out.

Thanks Snapped. Yepp I am definitely privvy to spot cleaning etc. Sounds good. Weekly cleanout followed by a more substantial monthly cleanout with F10. Was it easy to source? Sorry for the boring questions... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back