Ultrasonic fogger and jungle python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rxrestorer

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Been a little while since I posted

I recently moved and am thinking about setting up a new enclosure for my jungle with the full rainforest thing going including fogging and or rain as well as waterfall

Can anyone tell me if ultrasonic foggers worry snakes?

Also is there any problem with this idea.

I currently have a 2yr old jungle in a 4 ft long 2 ft X 2 ft cage with a 150 watt globe. Heats are no issue but if I don't add about 1 liter of water twice a week the humidity is around 30 to 40 percent. I'd like to aim for 60 or so as it is closer to natural habitat.

Also are there any problems with live plants?

You shouldn't need to increase the humidity above ambient for a Jungle Python, it isn't needed and may cause more problems in the way of scale-rot etc. They will not thrive in wet conditions, and if you have fogging OR rain OR waterfall in a relatively small space, let alone all three, it will be constantly too wet. Snakes in the "wet tropics" are able to move around to find suitable niches in which to spend most of their time. These niches are subject to significant variations in light, temperature and breeziness throughout the days and seasons, and the snake modifies its behaviour and movements accordingly. You cannot replicate this in a relatively small home enclosure

A snake the size of a Jungle will only crush live plants as it moves around the enclosure.

Jamie

what pythoninfinite said

also with that much water splashing around i would be worried about the surface of the heat lamp becoming damp and then exploading or blowing.

if you want something like that look into lizards more, boyds and angle heads thrive in that type of enclosure

if you got a larger tank then you could probably get away with one of those things but not all of them

also i thought jungles were arboreal? shouldnt you have a taller tank rather than a long one? i suppose people keep them in tubs so meh

Hi,

Yes they are arboreal, she has been small enough for the cage but she is growing, so I am looking to build a larger cage, that is more appropriate.

I was thinking 6/8 ft tall.

The idea came from j world's in America they make awesome cages. I was thinking multiple systems but varied timing so some days may fog once or twice, if I did rain I would give 2 or 3 days before next occurrence.

I think the problem is, rxrestorer, you have the notion that you have a "jungle" python, so you feel the need to provide a wet rainforest environment for because you believe that's where they live. This is a mistaken belief, and would be even if you were keeping those "rainforest denizens," GTPs. Even these humidity loving pythons need (or their enclosure may need) a light misting only every few days to keep them in perfect condition.

I, too, love the look and challenge of making natural looking tropical environments, but long ago accepted that these enclosures are far more suited to the keeping of some of the more tropical LIZARDS, which are available in abundance in the US - Chameleons, V.prasinus, the Day Geckos, along with a heap of other stuff, and as mentioned by me and another earlier, the gorgeous Boyd's and Angle-headed Dragons here in Oz. These critters do quite well in humid, almost wet environments, but Australian pythons don't. Trust me, you'll end up with a snake that has skin problems, and a lot of broken plants if you use living vegetation. None of the lizards I have mentioned are vegetation mashers.

Tropics doesn't automatically mean constantly wet, which is what you will achieve in an enclosure such as you propose, where air circulation must necessarily be restricted to maintain suitable temperatures for your animal. To achieve a suitable airflow to dry rapidly as required (and as occurs in nature), you would lose all your heat.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back