URGENT HELP NEEDED, Dehydrated bearded dragon, un able to move, but still alive.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I went outside to check on my bearded dragon who was in an outside enclosure in the sun, Half of the enclosure usually has a cover over it but the cover had been blown off, so he was in the full blown heat for an hour, I ran over and went to pick him up, and he is completely stiff, arms, legs locked in the position he was lying in. Eyes were closed.

Rushed him inside and took him into the air conditioning, placed him in a sink with some water to try and get a regular temperature back, he slightly opens his mouth, so I have been slowly tipping cold water into his mouth, which he drinks. It's been 25 minutes, and no limbs appear to loosen., the tip of his nose is slightly darker, possibly burnt. Eyes are getting more and more responsive, but other then that, and the drinking, no improvements.

Is there anything I can do at all to help him while I am waiting for my vet's appointment, he is 3 years 10 months old. His left arm is able to me moved VERY slightly, which is an improvement.

Feel free to flame away, but please offer me some advice first.

He is now moving his head from side to side, like he is trying to swallow, and water is flowing back out of his mouth, so I am no longer going to give him water.

What i did with 2 yearling Darwins when i nearly cooked them,i took them near the freezer to cool them and got a syringe a squirted water in there mouths,after 5-10 minutes they both started to move a bit,i continued what i was doing and within 30minutes they were both good as gold,with no affects...I was cleaning their enclosure and put them in a tub outside,the sun covered more than half,BUT within 5minutes the tub was in full sun,it ONLY took 5-10 minutes and they were motionless,barely moved at all...I was very lucky in this situation,however it paid off....MARK

Left leg and left arm are now able to be moved slightly, as apposed to being stiff as a ruler, only when I move them though, wriggling head every 15 seconds or so, and he wriggled his spine/tail once.

Thanks pythons, he is lying virtually lifeless in a shallow tub of cold water, it is not looking too good.

It's easy done in this weather, you have to learn to be paranoid about shade areas... anyway, if he is still alive now he may come good, just keep him cool, soak him in cool (not cold) water every 1/2 hour or so.

How long for jason? It's now been 40 minutes since I got him out of the sun, his limbs are so stiff, like a dead dragon. What treatment can the vet offer? If any?

How long for jason? It's now been 40 minutes since I got him out of the sun, his limbs are so stiff, like a dead dragon. What treatment can the vet offer? If any?

Not much really, you just have to wait and see, it doesn't look overly good for him though if it's been that long.

What causes the limbs to stiffen, any methods to help loosen them up that any one knows of?

I would not of thought one hour in the full sun would affect a beardy so badly? I often see them sunning them selves for hours on end in the bush etc...??? Perhaps I am wrong?? Just my thought. I think your doing all that you can, that is, soaking him in water. Keep us updated!!
What Vet are you going to?? David Vella is in North Sydney (not sure how hard or easy it is to get an appointment with him...

nah, they do perish quickly in full sun if they can't get out of it...Western Sydney is blazing atm... The vet will give him an injection to rehydrate him, though I am unsure if it will be of any use in this case, but by all means give it a go if you think he may be alive in the next half hour or so.

its a tad warm today, so im sure all the reptiles in the wild would be looking for somewhere cooler as well.

Thank you Bearded Lady, that page is very informative, Symbol, it's a very hot day today where I am, and he could not escape the heat, i feel absolutely terrible. He is such a beautiful animal, the one in my display picture.

I was told gatorade or equivilant sports drinks are good to give them. Use a syringe to force feed it.

I wish you luck, and hope he recovers.

It's not so much that he is dehydrated, it's more the fact that it was overheated which can cause major stress on the whole reptile. Their bodies usually shut down completely as their brain fries.

He has consumed a lot of water, and is soaking as we speak, so he is rehydrated, but the damage seems to already have been done.

Good luck with him. Let us know the outcome and what the vet says. Keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back