UV lighting for Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlacKat

Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me if the UV flauro light needed in the Beardy enclosure must be a specific one from the pet store or if I can use a general UV flauro light from the local hardware store or similar :?:

Also, how much time do the beardies need to spend in UV each day?

You will need a UV light that projects UVB, most lights from hardware stores just project UVA.
Reptile specific lights project UVA and UVB, the levels of UVB are of most importance to bearded dragons.
Try and get yourself a UV 8 to 10 % tube, and position the tube no more than 12" away from the dragons basking area, if you don't do this you are wasting your time putting the tube in.
Also, remember that you need to use Calcium powder in the diet, usually sprinkled on top of the crickets or veggies.

Good luck.

Neil

Thanks. Can you please explain what the calcium powder does for them?

The lizards are my boyfriends and I don't know lots about how to care for them but seem to be doing most of their care as he's a shift worker.

The calcium helps their bones in order for them to be able to grow properly and to stop them from getting MBD.

MBD??? Very sorry, but i REALLY dont know much - let's pretend that i'm daft when it comes to lizards and the lingo... lol

:D Thanx. I'll make sure I get them the calcuim asap

I have received some advice from a reptile guru to be able to help (just a little) with this one. I've been told to choose as high UVB as I can afford but not less than 5%. Higher is better if you can afford it. But I was also told the light won't do much good shining through a glass lid as the UV is filtered out.

If you cage allows you to use a mercury vapour globe then please consider this. It will give them more UV. Who can really give their beardies a nice big enclosure and still have them closer than 12 inches from the fluro. Sure you can ahve a branch to go up close but who guarantees they spend a lot of time there.

Another option is to give your beardies some time outside in the real sun. A half hour per week is the same as giving them a UV Fluro. 4 or 5 hours is better than any light you could give them.

There are a few threads on this subject at the moment, have a look at them. As I have said before, My beardies (and I have 15 of them) get no UV or Cal. powder and I have never had a problem yet, but I make sure they get plenty of food and would not advise a begginer to not use UV ect. Just letting every one know they can live without it if fed well.

peterjohnson64 said:
Another option is to give your beardies some time outside in the real sun. A half hour per week is the same as giving them a UV Fluro. 4 or 5 hours is better than any light you could give them.

Half hour a week real sun? does that mean if you can give them half hour a week of real sun you won't need a UV Light over their enclosures? I gather from this that a UV Light isn't meant to be on all the time?

No kathy, its just that the UV light is no where near as powerful as the sun so you still need it on all the time (well not at night). The main thing they get fromt eh sun is vitamin D and this helps with calcium (I'm not a dietician so I dont understand this) so if their diet replaces what they need from the sun then, as Jason said, they will be fine.

It was interesting that I saw a current affairs or 60 minutes story a few weeks ago saying the same thing about people now that we keep out of the sun all the time.

Vitamin D aids in calcium absorption so without enough sunlight I guess we would be just as prone to calcium deficiency as if we weren't consuming enough of it because it needs vitamin D to be carried through to where ever its gotta go.

i take my beardies out into the sun as possible. i have only had them for a couple of months so i dont no everything. but they seem to like being out in the sun, alot more active and they go so light.i have been told this means they are relaxed...

Actually, If you sat a beardie on the ground on a hot summers day, you wouldn't necessarily get anymore UV output than from a beardie basking under a Oz Bright Mercury vapour lamp at say 8-12 inch's away.
Mercury vapour lamps actually produce more UVB output than the sun when they bask at such short distances, whilst it maybe too hot for some lizards, I know a friends monitors love to bask under it at close distances for short bursts at a time.
Remember also that young growing lizards always require more UVB than adults whilst growing, along with calcium powder, I have seen first hand many cases of metabolic bone disease from people that have neglected to provide these two ingredients, just ask any reptile vet how many cases they see!

Neil

My frillies sit that close as well mate. they seem to love it. and under a 160 watter

peterjohnson64 said:
My frillies sit that close as well mate. they seem to love it. and under a 160 watter

Nice one pete, Frilly's love the heat don't they!
Cheers Neil

I think those mercury vapour globes are one of the best things for lizards. they should all be under them (well, sun loving ones anyway - maybe not forest dragons and boyds)

Just to correct you Pete, not in a maliciuos way though. UV radiation actually lets their bodies secrete and produce Vitamin D3 thats why people in Queensland have a lot healthier appearance and why people in the UK seem to be more miserable. Its caused by a lack of dsunlight. This vitamin in turn helps in the calcium metabolism of the reptile. Usually with high UV levels a reptile regulates its own calcium absorption and is much healthier. Natural D3 is much healthier than any form of artificial D3. So use the mercury vapour lamps and get yourself the bearded dragon manual. Dont be a tight ****. Spend some money on a good book and you will have the info at your fingertips.

on the herpshop site they have 2 diff sorts of fluros, one is 2.0 and the other is 5.0, which do i need for beardies?

also what would b better a uv fluro or mercury vapor light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back