UV lighting for Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hornet - mercury vapour is the best as it produces a lot more UVB and heat as well, so you don't need the fluro tube. But if you do get a fluro tube get 5.0 at least (you can now get 10.0 compact fluros that are edison screw not baton type bulb which I use for my little diamonds until they're big enough to go outside)

I have had my beardies for years and dont have any uv lighting for them. I take them out into the sun once a week for a couple of hours. You cant beat the natural sunlight and have been told by a reliable source there isnt that much uv put out by the lights you buy anyway. The girls have laid eggs every year since they have been old enough
Cheers, Rosemary

I give them supplements occassionally but not on a regular basis. The young do fine, so long as they get out in the sun as often as possible. I personally think the uv lights are a waste of money. Melb Zoo many years ago tested them and found the uv they put out was minimal. Our vet in Sydnye advised me just to take them out in the sun, no uv lights

Oh thats what she does if she takes any critters home from the surgery, puts them out in the sun for an hour or so each day.

You cant beat the ol sun for UVB. When you say as often as possible for the young, how often? Rosemary have you found any actual studies on the UVB needs of Beardies? Ive been looking for a while but still havent found any.

No, i havent found any actual articles on it, but at least 3 times a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back