Varanus Acanthurus Ridge Tailed Monitors- Videos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There heaps cool. I like how they run heaps fast and can climb so well aha. Is that about how big they grow or are those babies

There only around 6 weeks. Grow to around 40-50cm inc tail.

Rick

Awesome set up... Love the rock formations... Those guys are so cool... Thx for sharing

ok cool how much do you feed babies because im interested in buyin one or two soon hopefully and cant find out how much to feed babies or could you pleaze pm me the caresheet you use if you use one. thanks :)

ok cool how much do you feed babies because im interested in buyin one or two soon hopefully and cant find out how much to feed babies or could you pleaze pm me the caresheet you use if you use one. thanks :)

I feed them when they are hungry, normally 3-4 mediums a day.

Not many care sheets out there, just guidelines.

Hot spot 50-70c (i have 1 at 70c on the stack and another at 50-60c on background)
Enclosure temps of around 30c minimum, my floor is 25c an up top of background is 30-40c (spend most of time in the stack or lounging on the background)
Enclosure size of around 1200x600mm floor space for a pair or trio, my enclosure is 1200x600x900mm but they may go into a bigger one when adults.

Rick

I feed them when they are hungry, normally 3-4 mediums a day.

Not many care sheets out there, just guidelines.

Hot spot 50-70c (i have 1 at 70c on the stack and another at 50-60c on background)
Enclosure temps of around 30c minimum, my floor is 25c an up top of background is 30-40c (spend most of time in the stack or lounging on the background)
Enclosure size of around 1200x600mm floor space for a pair or trio, my enclosure is 1200x600x900mm but they may go into a bigger one when adults.

Rick
50-60c celcius Thats heaps hot do they need it that hot And do you feed one four to five crickets a day or both? If you dont mind me asking :)

They're so cool Rick, I bet you waste lots of time watching and having a laugh lol ..I know I would :D

50-60c celcius Thats heaps hot do they need it that hot And do you feed one four to five crickets a day or both? If you dont mind me asking :)

I have 3 in there. Depending on how full their bellys are they will eat between 1-5 crickets a day, i have been skipping days starting last weekend.

Yes they need it hot, they are not Bearded Dragons. These guys are best kept at 30c minimums will very high basking spots, they dont lounge under the lamps for long an will be back off ready to hunt or explore. They are a very active species.

If i get a chance i will try and do a time lapse of a day of there activitys. Dont get up till around 9-10am (lights on 7am) and normally snoozing by around 4pm up in the background till lights go out at 9pm then under the warm stack they go.

Nights are dropping to around 16c at the moment but come summer they should be active for more hours a day.

Rick

They're so cool Rick, I bet you waste lots of time watching and having a laugh lol ..I know I would :D

Yes, yes i do. My lunch break at work involves coming home an attemping feeding, then watching them till i go back to work.

I watched them for around 3hrs last saturday, was amazing watching them climb and run around inbetween quick basking stops.

Rick

I have 3 in there. Depending on how full their bellys are they will eat between 1-5 crickets a day, i have been skipping days starting last weekend.

Yes they need it hot, they are not Bearded Dragons. These guys are best kept at 30c minimums will very high basking spots, they dont lounge under the lamps for long an will be back off ready to hunt or explore. They are a very active species.

If i get a chance i will try and do a time lapse of a day of there activitys. Dont get up till around 9-10am (lights on 7am) and normally snoozing by around 4pm up in the background till lights go out at 9pm then under the warm stack they go.

Nights are dropping to around 16c at the moment but come summer they should be active for more hours a day.

Rick
Yeah im probly defianetly goig to get one now but the NSW sizing rule for them is a bit big i think. As much as i have heard they sound like a really cool, fun and easy species to keep :)

Yeah im probly defianetly goig to get one now but the NSW sizing rule for them is a bit big i think. As much as i have heard they sound like a really cool, fun and easy species to keep :)

Yep, they are great. They are not a species that enjoys to be picked up an handled like a beardie but they do tame down a fair bit.

Rick

Yep, they are great. They are not a species that enjoys to be picked up an handled like a beardie but they do tame down a fair bit.

Rick
Yeah in the videos they looked a bit skitish so i wouldnt pick one up, and because there a monitor they would have long claws aswell wouldnt they?

Yeah in the videos they looked a bit skitish so i wouldnt pick one up, and because there a monitor they would have long claws aswell wouldnt they?

They have sharp claws and teeth :) They will allow me to stroke their backs for a few seconds an sometimes tongue flick my hands.

Give them another 6-12 months an I'm sure they won't mind as much but very skittish as bubs.

Rick

Yeah aha thanks for all the help and info i will be surely getting one or two of these possibly sooner rather then later i hope aha once i get an enclousure set up. :)

Are they always that active. my beardie will just chill on his rock under the heat. he will chase roaches and crickets then run back onto his rock, but it is very interesting watching him dig a hole 10 mins before the lights go of and just sit there looking at his days work.

Are they always that active. my beardie will just chill on his rock under the heat. he will chase roaches and crickets then run back onto his rock, but it is very interesting watching him dig a hole 10 mins before the lights go of and just sit there looking at his days work.

About 400% more active then a beardie, my beardie spends most of her day laying down under the heat or uvb.

Rick

You can get them pretty tame even as bubs. My female is amazing, never bites or runs. Sits on my shoulder while I watch tv. Male is a a bit skitish but i handle them both a few times a day so he eventually calms down and sits in my hands happily. Starting to teach him games atm. They are pretty much the same age as yours.

Last edited:
They are awesome, great vids, I could watch them all day. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back