Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen keepers with missing fingers from RBBS bites.

size of the snake is only a small factor in severity of a venomous snake bite all things can contribute such as age, your health, your size, amount of venom snake actutally gets into you and your bodys own immunitys not to mention the overall potency of the actual venom. i have found some pictures on the net so for those wishing to find out more google is loaded with them. try searching specific snakes or familys such as brown even use scientific names a few sites i got easyily were
http://www.venomsupplies.com/antiven2.html
and
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177_11_021202/joh10212_fm.html

i have seen a few around but the easiest way to see them is just google, google and more google. on youtube theres a great movie of some tool photographer who thinks hes a snake handler getting tagged by a cobra sp. shows his time in hospital aswel.

haha can you link it.
i cant seem to find it, but i found this.
[video=youtube;y6ujly6n3uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ujly6n3uo[/video]

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:: shock::shock: WHAT THE HELL!!!

Theres one on you tube where that idiot austin stevens gets tagged by a cobra in africa.LMAO at it.

Theres one on you tube where that idiot austin stevens gets tagged by a cobra in africa.LMAO at it.

I was watching that last night from a Foxtel IQ recorded previously. Apparently that one just nicked him, didn't actually penetrate. But two hours after leaving hospital he was out annoying the same Cobra again for some piccies!!

jan10788_fm-1.jpg

so elapid68 have you ever been taged by a ven?

thanks god!! i was getting a bit nervous!! :shock: :lol:

No, we are lucky here. To my knowledge our snakes only shut down the lungs and heart and liver and all them other organs. ;) :lol: But we should 'look' normal. :p

Now I got a few questions. The two main types of venom are Neurotoxic and Heamotoxic (excuse the spelling I bet it's shocking). The Neurotoxic is the one that shuts down the nervous system stopping the brain from 'making' the organs work while the Heamotoxic is the stuff that starts to 'digest' or break down muscle and skin tissue. As I said, correct me if I'm wrong. Now our Australian Snakes have the Neurotoxic venom and from what I understand the Bitis have the Heamotoxi. Is this why the Australian Death Adder is not a Bitis?

I got a dry bite from a ven 2nd week I came to OZ... not a good experience , has taken me 10 years to think about owning vens:lol:

Pythons are sooo much easyer!! - but some vens are soooo cute!!

so elapid68 have you ever been taged by a ven?

Nothing too serious. A Little Whip tried to show me how tough he was, and a couple of mishaps (usually my fault) whilst assist feeding young Tigers.
Although my male Inland Taipan keeps trying to share his venom with me. He's nearly succeeded on several occasions.

The worst envenomation I've received was from a Red Back spider. Nasty little buggers.

But given the law of averages, eventually I'll get complacent and get nailed in a most spectacular way :shock:

No, we are lucky here. To my knowledge our snakes only shut down the lungs and heart and liver and all them other organs. ;) :lol: But we should 'look' normal. :p

Now I got a few questions. The two main types of venom are Neurotoxic and Heamotoxic (excuse the spelling I bet it's shocking). The Neurotoxic is the one that shuts down the nervous system stopping the brain from 'making' the organs work while the Heamotoxic is the stuff that starts to 'digest' or break down muscle and skin tissue. As I said, correct me if I'm wrong. Now our Australian Snakes have the Neurotoxic venom and from what I understand the Bitis have the Heamotoxi. Is this why the Australian Death Adder is not a Bitis?

Several Aussie snakes have a heamatoxic component to their venom. Oxyuranus spp, Notechis spp, Pseudechis porphyriacus, Pseudechis australis, Pseudonaja textilis and nuchalis off the top of my head.
There are several reasons that the Acanthophis is considered an Elapid and not a Viper, venom composition is just one part of it. Morphology, scalation (is that a word?) etc also come into it. I probably couldn't give you a proper answer as I've not gone in depth into the subject at this stage.
I'm sure if you spend some time on Google, Ask.com etc you should find a fair bit of info by people a lot more qualified than myself that should be able to answer that question.

Hmm. I wasn't aware the our snakes had the heamotoxic. Maybe I should start to study it properly. Go mr google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back